Thread: Scourge of War : Gettysburg (Seeking Players?)

CSA Major

Scourge of War : Gettysburg (Seeking Players?)

Afternoon.

To save my own time, I am lifting material from previous posts I have made elsewhere on the internet. I am going to assume that most of the folks who are here are also aware of the Scourge of War series, however it may be that deeper gameplay mods are less known. I belong to a small group of lads known elsewhere as 'The Lucky Dogs' from the Warband module 'The Deluge', as the 'No.504 Squadron R.A.F - IL2: Cliffs of Dover Roleplaying Squadron', and now finally here as the '19th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment Co.A "Monticello Guard"', among other aliases and disguises. We have been indulging in our own private games of Scourge of War over the past two years, and are currently looking to engage other folk in our games to play with us. I'm afraid we're only really looking to play with the older variety of person (18 plus), on a very casual basis with no timetable or obligation.

That's enough waffle. I have attached two posts; one of which is an introduction to the Scourge of War series and the GCM (Garnier's Campaign Module) that we use, and the second is an example battle report from one of our games. We tend to play locked in the saddle to 100 yards, with written courier messages to other players // AI, allowing only vocal communication over TeamSpeak when the officers are deemed to be within shouting range of one another.

If this is something that would interest you, feel free to add me on steam - (Leifr Eiríksson).

----

Righto.
    Here's a supremely fun and engaging tactical war game that is worth the time to learn if you're a sucker for pushing units around and being patient. The base game is Gettysburg and is required to play - all other entries in the series are considered expansions. The exception to this is the Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Collection, containing the base game and every expansion released.
    The European store is handled by Matrix Games and can be found here.

As of the 25th of November there is a massive (and incredibly rare!) sale on, including the Anniversary Edition. I would recommend purchasing this as it is marginally more expensive than the regular edition at full price. However, the original edition is fine and contains more than enough for value.

As for mods, there is one definitive installation that is required for an improved experience. As those whom have played the series before will attest, the UI, and by extension the game, isn't particular intuitive for a new player. I advise the registration of, and the installation of Garnier's Mod. There is simply too much to list that has been altered within the mod, other than to compare it to the Team Fusion mod for IL2 or the GSM mod that Gibby has introduced is to for Men of War. The benefit of using Garnier's Mod, aside from statistic and value changes, grants each game to be played on a random map, and with one's own division of men for either Union or Confederate. I believe we can also create randomly generated scenarios also, although I have not had the time to look into that. Garnier's Mod also applies to the regular scenarios included with Gettysburg so there's much to crack on at.

You can obtain Garnier's Campaign Mod at the link below.

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm

A useful guide to 'GCM' may be found here in the archived forum. This thread details many of the changes and explains how to handle these changes within SoW.

I've also managed to acquire an old mod that introduces a little more variety to both the Union and the Confederacy uniforms. Primarily though, it shifts the dominant grey uniform of the CSA into something a little more 'rag-tag'. This is appropriate for July 1863 and in particular post-Gettysburg. The download may be found here.

I think though, for the time being (as some of us already own SoW), it would be best if we simply played the regular scenarios with the 'GCM' enabled. Please respond if you own a copy, or are thinking about the purchasing of SoW and we'll see about getting some games in.

- Leifr
    ----

Major General Richard H Anderson (Jim) took to the field with his division under A.P Hill’s Third Corps. The following Brigadier Generals were present, each with their own brigade and staff under their command; Brigadier Generals Cadmus M Wilcox (Daniel), William Mahone, Ambrose R Wright and Carnot Posey. The Colonel David Lang led a smaller and much battered brigade taking over the deposed Perry. We were fortunate enough to also have three companies from the Sumter GA Artillery attached to the division, led respectively by the Captains Hugh M Ross, George M Patterson and John T Wingfield.

The objective issued was to be a pair of crossroads at the base of Prince Hill, these would turn out to be hotly contested. With movement orders issued as per the composition and competency of each brigade, the Confederates were first to move upon the objective without any hindrance or whiff of the Yankee blue blood. Maj Gen Anderson took the opportunity to properly assess the lay of the land , seeing fit to maintain current orders.

R9RJXmx.jpg

As one may observe, the relatively open fields provided immense opportunity for both defilade and enfilade upon the encroaching Federal forces. Brig Gen Mahone and Col Lang deployed to the west of the crossroads, the artillery detachments of the Sumter GA Artillery to the immediate south west, Brig Gen Posey to the southern flank of the fields, and finally Brig Gens Wilcox and Wright to the extended south east. Mahone pushed his regiments forwards to seize the initiative against the oncoming Union troops – their bugle calls being heard approaching from the north east of the crossroads, cutting across and down the flank of the hill.

pBH42TV.jpg

All other brigades were kept in reserve, leaving open the line of sight for the artillery pieces whom had now unlimbered and begun firing.

FxwVGwL.jpg

With the first shots fired by both Malone and the Sumter artillery, we entered into a lengthy engagement that would bridge almost three hours. Mahone’s Virginia regiments managed to blunt the first wave of the Union (believed to be Vermont boys), and took quite the beating for it. With the initial Federal forces regathering Brig Gen Mahone was returned back to rest, the objective being retaken and occupied by Col Lang and his Floridians. One may also observe here in the far distance the brigade of Wilcox awaiting further orders.

JCZxqCW.jpg

nyesEsK.jpg

Brig Gen Wilcox (Daniel) supported the movement, alongside that of Posey’s brigade – both would regroup once Mahone had retreated. Unfortunately, Lang’s choler got the best of him and took all three of his regiments into fervour. He would take his men in pursuit of the Union up into the dense woodlands above our position; all courier messages to reach the gentleman were blocked. There was little indication as to how the fighting fared, other than the acrid fog of spent powder drifting about the treetops. Col Lang would emerge from the hillside some time later with all but one of his brave Floridian regiments spent entirely.

EsbavTf.jpg

[OOC: no pictures of the charge or the fighting, we literally couldn't see anything but the smoke over the trees anyway]

From here on to the end of the engagement, the Union forces would feed piecemeal their power over the crest of the hill and down onto the field. With the initiative in the Confederates favour, and a firm hold upon the objective (for the Union second division was nowhere to be seen), Maj Gen Anderson saw it fit to issue orders for a general advancement upon the hill.
    Both Wilcox and Mahone bore the brunt of this responsibility; each holding whilst the other moved, steadily moving themselves up the hill. Their advance was supported primarily by Company A of Captain Hugh M Ross’ artillery whom were repositioned upon the southern flank of the hillside. From this position of strength, Wright’s brigade entirely flanked what was known to be left of the Union and came in upon them to the east.

iZX8lGj.jpg

Unfortunately upon cresting the hill, Mahone, Wright and Wilcox became entangled in a lengthy and rather desperate struggle with the second Union division. It would become apparent to the Maj Gen Anderson at this point that the Federals had kept their entire second division in reserve on the other north flank of the hill where we were unable to espy them until engagement. Further fighting took place, steadily pushing the embattled Yankees backwards down the hill.

Tg3e917.jpg

IxKn9d7.jpg

Brig Gen Wilcox distinguished himself in particular, and likely assisted in turning this stage of the fighting, with the liberation and acquirement of several Union artillery pieces. These cannon were swiftly turned upon their previous northern owners and let fire into the blue. With the Union pushed largely off the northern side of the hill, Maj Gen Anderson deemed it a victory and halted the advance.
    EDIT: Thread to be moved into the appropriate forum!
    Last edited by Leifr; 07-15-2016 at 05:06 PM.

I'm looking for players! Love to again get back into the multiplayer of this game either in co-op or vs
    Last edited by brentcarter; 10-18-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Never played.

Guess that's another game I'll have to look into.

doh.gif

Musician

Boy do I love me some Scourge of War. I added you on steam. I know this is a super old post, but next time there is a match going, let me know. I know that this game really shines when you have others with you.

~Melius

EDIT: corrected a sentence that didn't make sense.
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    - Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson