Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting for Co. A of the 7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

USA Captain

Exclamation Welcome to the 7th Wisconsin Co. A

7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Co. A "The Iron Guard"

Description
    Welcome, recruit, to Company A of the 7th Wisconsin. The 7th Wisconsin is part of the famed Iron Brigade and is one of the original line infantry regiments that made up the Iron Brigade. The Iron Brigade was a force to be reckoned with. These Western Frontiersmen were the crack troops of the Union Army, all of them good shots with excellent morale. They were known to "stand like iron" in the face of withering enemy fire. The Iron Brigade could always be picked out on the field because of their signature black Hardee hats. The rebels hated the Iron Brigade, calling it "That damned Black Hat Brigade". Whichever side you were fighting on, you gave the "damned Black Hat Brigade" the respect that it deserved.

History

The 7th Wisconsin was formed in Madison, Wisconsin, along with the other regiments that would make up the Iron Brigade, and was mustered into federal service in September of 1861. The 7th then left for Washington to help construct and man the defenses being hastily constructed. In Washington, the 7th was organized into the First Corps commanded by Joseph "Fighting Joe" Hooker in George "Little Mac" McClellan's Army of the Potomac. From there, the 7th would follow the Iron Brigade and the Army of the Potomac into some of the fiercest fighting in the whole of the Eastern Front from Gettysburg to Antietam. The 7th was mustered out of service in June of 1865. The regiment gained tremendous fame and respect but at a terrible cost. The regiment lost 424 men in its long years of faithful service, 10 officers and 271 enlisted men were killed in action while another 143 enlisted men died from disease.

Uniforms
    Just like any other self-respecting unit in the Civil War, the 7th Wisconsin also had their signature uniform. With the 7th Wisconsin being a part of the Iron Brigade, they wore their signature black Hardee hat. Other than the Hardee hat, their uniform was the same as any other volunteer regiment. They all wore the wool blue overcoat with light blue trousers, socks, and shoes or brogans. Brogans are a low heeled boots produced by the millions in northern factories. Both the Union and Confederate armies wore them.

The Battles of the 7th Wisconsin

Here's a list of all the battles that the 7th Wisconsin and the Iron Brigade went through during the course of the Civil War. Click on the battle for a link to battle maps and synopsis. Thank you to the Civil War Trust for providing much of the info needed to create this section of my thread.

Battle of Second Bull Run
    Battle of South Mountain
    Battle of Antietam
    Battle of Chancellorsville
    Battle of Gettysburg
    Battle of The Wilderness
    Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse
    Battle of Cold Harbor
    Battle of Petersburg
    Battle of Weldon Railroad
    Battle of Five Forks

How To Enlist

Enlisting in the WoR 7th Wisconsin Co. A is a simple matter. All you have to do is fill out an application following the format shown below. I check the forums at least once a day so you don't need to worry about a long wait. Everyone who doesn't have a company is free to join.

Example Application
    -IG Name: Example_12
    -Steam?: Yep
    -Steam username (If you have Steam)?: Yes
    -Discord?: Yes
    -Mic?: Yes
    -EU or NA?: NA
    -Preferred rank?: Private

Ranks
    Here in the Iron Guard, we give you the option to advance through the ranks. To add some realism, NCO ranks can be reached by everyone in the company. You can be given an NCO rank if there is an open spot, depending on behavior and performance in the field. CO ranks can only be given to you if you have been elected into the position by your peers. Here's the list of ranks.

Officers
    Captain: Alexander Greene
    First Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

NCOs
    First Sergeants
    Sergeants: Redgum
    Corporals: Weapons Grade Autism, johbowfor

Enlisted
    Privates: Davidwgamer, Oberst Koeller, stitchy101, John Watson,

Unoffical
    Recruitment Sargent
    Color Guards
    Drummers

Squads and platoons
    Our company is divided up into multiple squads and platoons to make organisation easier, specific, and personal. Squads are the basic building block of our company, usually consisting of 4-9 men and a corporal. A platoon is made up of 2-3 squads led by a sergeant, a First Sergeant will lead 2 platoons, a Second Lieutenant will have 2 First Sergeants under his command, a First Lieutenant will have, 1-2 Second Lieutenants under his command, and the Captain commands all. Here's a list of all of our current squads and platoons.

Squads

Squad 1
    Corporal: johbowfor
    Privates: Davidwgamer, Oberst Koeller, Stitchy101

Squad 2
    Corporal: Weapons Grade Autism.
    Privates: Gen.Reynolds, John Watson

Platoons
    Platoon 1
    Sergeants: Redgum
    Corporals: Weapons Grade Autism, johbowfor
    Enlisted: Davidwgamer, Weapons Grade Autism, Oberst Koeller, Stitchy101, Gen.Reynolds, John Watson,

Discord

We now use Discord! When you sign up, one of the officers will tell you the Discord server IP address or send you an invite.

FOR THE UNION, MEN!

Last edited by Alexander Greene; 10-23-2016 at 09:01 PM.

USA Brigadier General

Welcome
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

USA Major

Good luck!

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

CSA Captain

Goodluck can't wait to fight the Iron Brigade!

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Goodluck can't wait to fight the Iron Brigade!
    Dude I bet my Iron Guards could be your Zouaves

CSA Captain

pfffft at Antietam I bet we will beat you so hard!!!! (at Antietam the Iron Brigade destroyed us so much we only came out with 12 men....) BUT NEVER AGAIN! lol plus Antietam hasn't hapend yet so we still have a chance

USA Captain

Hehehehee nope that ain't happening. History repeats itself man.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    pfffft at Antietam I bet we will beat you so hard!!!! (at Antietam the Iron Brigade destroyed us so much we only came out with 12 men....) BUT NEVER AGAIN! lol plus Antietam hasn't hapend yet so we still have a chance
    Not really true, the 1st La Zouaves only had 12 fit for duty (alive and not wounded seriously) the rest were mostly wounded, only 52 ever died in battle throughout the war.
    Also the Louisiana Brigade was one of the last to break. All in all, Louisiana has always given the Iron Brigade a run for their money.

We were just overwhelmed at Antietam, we faced units much bigger than our own and still fought valiantly.
    Last edited by Legion; 07-24-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Captain

Shut up man. I was basking in the glory of the Iron Brigade and you ruined it . And yeah, they did fight hard, I'll give the Confederates that much.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Greene View Post
    Shut up man. I was basking in the glory of the Iron Brigade and you ruined it . And yeah, they did fight hard, I'll give the Confederates that much.
    Sorry, I couldn't let the some of the best fighters in the south be badmouthed by some Yankee brigade
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion