Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Company Video Contest

Company Video Contest

The Introduction

Greetings companies!

With the Confederate update to the Drill Camp just released and all of the Captains & Major tiered backers invited to the Technical Alpha, we feel that right about now is the time to start up the very first, and certainly not last, of our community driven media content!

We’re always super positively surprised regarding the general willingness of the players to partake in drilling and following orders from complete strangers whenever we release new content/open up for new players in the Technical Alpha. It must be a very nice surprise for many of the non-company new players as well to quickly ,without any issues whatsoever, be able to join up with a group of players from a certain company and learn the ropes of how to behave in a combat situation.

Without our lovely companies, we think the general feel of the Technical Alpha would be a very different one and not at all as good a one. In order to thank the companies for existing and for their willingness to embrace new players and teach them the do’s and dont’s we’re going to make the first community event a company specific one.

The Task

In order to participate in this very first company video contest of WoR, all we need for you to do is make sure to capture the very best moments from your company play/drill sessions in the Technical Alpha! The content itself can be anything you deem worthy of our attention and as a representative of your company, be that funny, authentic/historically correct, roleplay episodes or just the possibility to be able to show that your company is the best drilled company in WoR!

Once the video has been captured you must submit it to us within the given deadline (August 9th) and your company video will be in the contest!

The Rewards

The best clips will be selected by Campfire Games and used in an official Company Drill Camp trailer with their company name shown in the trailer, links to recruitment pages on the forum in the video description and have some of the randomized recruitment posters featured on the sides throughout the entire War of Rights website function as links to their recruitment pages for a limited amount of time.

The Specifics

The video recordings must be recorded at 1920x1080, use relatively high graphics settings and have an acceptable framerate in order to be considered as valid entries for the contest. Only entries submitted before the deadline is going to be able to partake in the contest.
    Please don't use music with copyrights!

Please include a link to your company recruitment page in the email when sending the download links to your contest submissions to:

contact@warofrights.com

and label the title of the email “COMPANY VIDEO CONTEST”.

The deadline for the company video contest is August 9th 2016.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 07-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.

USA General of the Army

I really don't think this is a good idea in term of the reward gained for winning. There are quite a few companies whom I'm sure would kill to win this but do not have the expertise to put together a decent video. On the other side of the coin there are a few companies with some very good video editors in them that already have a massive edge over other companies.

I think the contest itself is not a half bad idea. However the prize is a little over the top I think.

CSA Captain

In b4 shitstorm!

Ok, now in all seriousness, the reward may give a bit too much, but I still like the idea of making a drill video. Only two people in my company have acces to the Alpha, but if we team up with some others, we may be able tu pull out something.

I doubt there'll be another shitstorm regarding this but if there is to come one so be it. We're going to be featuring and highlighting dedicated community members or groups no matter what. This game is centered around group play. If we're not allowed to feature specific units or individuals whos actions we deem so great, so unique, so funny etc. how are we to show the great many options the various groups with different playstyles, personalities, etc. represent within the community?

Not highlighting the fun and the dedication and knowledge the companies show would end up hurting, perhaps killing the community and thus the game as a whole in the long run.

Contests or competitions are here to stay as they breed exellence. Want to win? Better produce something worthy of winning then.

That is not to say that we'll only feature companies or individuals based off of contests. That can and probably will vary quite a bit.

If anyone is still uncertain about this. I ask you to name me one heavily group focused and community driven game that doesn't highlight some of the cool stuff their community is up to/produces.

Looking forward to be seeing your submissions.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    If anyone is still uncertain about this. I ask you to name me one heavily group focused and community driven game that doesn't highlight some of the cool stuff their community is up to/produces.
    What you're saying is different to the WoR video competition.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    What you're saying is different to the WoR video competition.
    How so?

- Trusty

In most situations of which you're referring to, it would mostly be showing the video/image contributed and simply putting the name of the person who created it. These are usually also not large things and don't have to do with clans/regiments/companies. It is simply a "thank you" and a bit of publicity, rather than rewarding your group with more men. Most clans in games aren't about numbers, either, just skill, where this hurts WoR even more: Companies are 100% about numbers, as even the worst player in the world could easily be trained to function fine, as well as anybody else in the line, even.
    Last edited by David Dire; 07-27-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    In most situations of which you're referring to, it would mostly be showing the video/image contributed and simply putting the name of the person who created it. These are usually also not large things and don't have to do with clans/regiments/companies. It is simply a "thank you" and a bit of publicity, rather than rewarding your group with more men. Most clans in games aren't about numbers, either, just skill, where this hurts WoR even more: Companies are 100% about numbers, as even the worst player in the world could easily be trained to function fine, as well as anybody else in the line, even.

That is where we differ in our understanding of the groups of this community. I don't believe companies in WoR is only about the numbers. I'd never join up with any unit just cause it was the biggest one around. If you are indeed right that it is all about the numbers here, then I see it as one of my main objectives to change. I want it to be about how good of a commander the unit has, are the NCO's cool, do I share the same mindset as my fellow privates next to me, do I agree with the scheduling of events the company do, do we have the same kind of humor, etc.

How will it be possible to change such a mindset do you ask? Easy, highlight the people behind the companies and don't focus on the number of people in said company. Something more personal is needed here - possibly a video showcasing how the people are and not how many they are, perhaps?

Our rewards is simply a "thank you" and a bit of publicity as well. You could easily argue that highlights in other games provide members to the featured groups also - look at the big guilds of any MMORPG for instance - and what's so wrong about that? The more people we can get into the organized play that consists of companies, the better, no matter where they join up. Again, you're focusing on the numbers of the individual companies instead of seeing the total number of players willing to join the companies. From my point of view, a bigger of such pool of players is good. Players will leave some companies and join others as time passes, they might get tired of the way the administration is done or the might simply lose interest in said regiment of the company and gain interest for another they wish to represent (Unless you want to challenge that as well - since, according to you, everyone is only in the company game for their numbers, right?).

I've spent far too long on this already (got a game to make :P) but I invite you all to partake in the discussion if you feel like you have some valuable input.

Here's hoping this whole thing hasn't scared any of the great video makers out there away.

- Trusty

CSA Colonel

Here is a novel idea, why don't the currently active companies work together to produce a trailer video. Working together would both produce a better quality video (larger lines, more to work with) and it could be the start of a dialogue between comapnies that otherwise would not have interaction, at least this early during development.

Texans Always Move Them

CSA Captain

I second Colonel Work's suggestion.