Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Company Video Contest

Company Video Contest

The Introduction

Greetings companies!

With the Confederate update to the Drill Camp just released and all of the Captains & Major tiered backers invited to the Technical Alpha, we feel that right about now is the time to start up the very first, and certainly not last, of our community driven media content!

We’re always super positively surprised regarding the general willingness of the players to partake in drilling and following orders from complete strangers whenever we release new content/open up for new players in the Technical Alpha. It must be a very nice surprise for many of the non-company new players as well to quickly ,without any issues whatsoever, be able to join up with a group of players from a certain company and learn the ropes of how to behave in a combat situation.

Without our lovely companies, we think the general feel of the Technical Alpha would be a very different one and not at all as good a one. In order to thank the companies for existing and for their willingness to embrace new players and teach them the do’s and dont’s we’re going to make the first community event a company specific one.

The Task

In order to participate in this very first company video contest of WoR, all we need for you to do is make sure to capture the very best moments from your company play/drill sessions in the Technical Alpha! The content itself can be anything you deem worthy of our attention and as a representative of your company, be that funny, authentic/historically correct, roleplay episodes or just the possibility to be able to show that your company is the best drilled company in WoR!

Once the video has been captured you must submit it to us within the given deadline (August 9th) and your company video will be in the contest!

The Rewards

The best clips will be selected by Campfire Games and used in an official Company Drill Camp trailer with their company name shown in the trailer, links to recruitment pages on the forum in the video description and have some of the randomized recruitment posters featured on the sides throughout the entire War of Rights website function as links to their recruitment pages for a limited amount of time.

The Specifics

The video recordings must be recorded at 1920x1080, use relatively high graphics settings and have an acceptable framerate in order to be considered as valid entries for the contest. Only entries submitted before the deadline is going to be able to partake in the contest.
    Please don't use music with copyrights!

Please include a link to your company recruitment page in the email when sending the download links to your contest submissions to:

contact@warofrights.com

and label the title of the email “COMPANY VIDEO CONTEST”.

The deadline for the company video contest is August 9th 2016.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 07-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.

USA General of the Army

I really don't think this is a good idea in term of the reward gained for winning. There are quite a few companies whom I'm sure would kill to win this but do not have the expertise to put together a decent video. On the other side of the coin there are a few companies with some very good video editors in them that already have a massive edge over other companies.

The contest itself is not a half bad idea. However the prize is a little over the top I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    I really don't think this is a good idea in term of the reward gained for winning. There are quite a few companies whom I'm sure would kill to win this but do not have the expertise to put together a decent video. On the other side of the coin there are a few companies with some very good video editors in them that already have a massive edge over other companies.

The contest itself is not a half bad idea. However the prize is a little over the top I think.
    The companies participating in the event doesnt need to have excellent video editing skills. They just need to record some awesome drilling on the servers. And then we will edit together a video of the materials the winning companies have applied with.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    The companies participating in the event doesnt need to have excellent video editing skills. They just need to record some awesome drilling on the servers. And then we will edit together a video of the materials the winning companies have applied with.
    Okay, editing out the picture then. This is till an unfair contest. There are companies that have more people in lower pledge tiers and many that have no access to the game yet. This puts units that have more pledge members at a serious advantage as they are able to get man on and record. This contest just is not a fair competition for all companies which is what it should be. There will only be a REALLY small number of companies that can actually enter the contest. A few off the top of my head would be the Company B - 1st Minnesota, Companies F, H, I, K and M 1st Texas and Companies E & F - 42nd Pennsylvania.

This contest is simply not a fair one in terms of who can enter and the prize that is gained though winning. If the prize was reduced it scale then it would make it a hell of a lot better and less uneven.

Okay, editing out the picture then. This is till an unfair contest. There are companies that have more people in lower pledge tiers and many that have no access to the game yet. This puts units that have more pledge members at a serious advantage as they are able to get man on and record. This contest just is not a fair competition for all companies which is what it should be. There will only be a REALLY small number of companies that can actually enter the contest. A few off the top of my head would be the Company B - 1st Minnesota, Companies F, H, I, K and M 1st Texas and Companies E & F - 42nd Pennsylvania.

This contest is simply not a fair one in terms of who can enter and the prize that is gained though winning. If the prize was reduced it scale then it would make it a hell of a lot better and less uneven.
    I fully agree with Bravescot here, and even though the contest is a good idea it is very unfair to companies that have a lot of their men in lower pledge tiers that don't have access to the game yet. The companies with more Captain and higher tiered backers have a very clear unfair advantage in this contest, and in my opinion if you even were to host such a thing it must be down in Early Access stage (or even perhaps when the game is fully released), when a lot of people have access to the game, and all companies have the same chance at winning this. (Again, I still think that the rewards you are offering for this are way too much and should be reduced, regardless of when this competition is hosted.)

Although the competition itself is a good idea, the rewards should be reduced. What you're offering now is way too much, and again, as said, it's unfair for companies that have almost no people up in the higher pledge tiers. In my opinion, you should either hold off the contest for now until more people get access to the game and more companies have a chance at gathering more people for a video, or greatly reduce the rewards that you are offering.

CSA Captain

For once I agree with you! On top of that, people are already taking advantage of other company's work without credit: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...y-RenzoLeBenzo . I can only imagine it's going to get worse if we have a contest like this being that the dividends are much higher than simply getting to post a short Youtube video that (falsely) credits your unit with the event. People who aren't part of the company are going to end up in the video and (rightfully) are going to make a big stink when they don't get a cut of the prize (which obviously can't really be split).
    Last edited by Sir Doctor Professor; 07-27-2016 at 01:04 AM.
    Captain William Clark Falkner
    2nd Mississippi
    Company F

"I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." - Curtis LeMay
    "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." - Napoleon I
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths." - Julius Caesar

This is not a random drawing. It's a contest. It is not meant to be fair. The best content deserves to win just like the best football team deserves to win the match. That said, what is "best" is determined by us and we're open to everything. It is about getting companies to produce some quality video clips for us and rewarding the best ones with a bit of exposure. No need to discuss this further as it IS happening and we're very much looking forward to be seeing content from small as well as big companies.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    This is not a random drawing. It's a contest. It is not meant to be fair. The best content deserves to win just like the best football team deserves to win the match. That said, what is "best" is determined by us and we're open to everything. It is about getting companies to produce some quality video clips for us and rewarding the best ones with a bit of exposure. No need to discuss this further as it IS happening and we're very much looking forward to be seeing content from small as well as big companies.

- Trusty
    I am sorry, but do you still not see that this is unfair in terms of numbers that the different companies have? As I wrote in my post, it is a good idea, but some companies have almost no people that have access to the game right now (take for example my 19th Virginia Battalion.)

The rewards you are offering for this are enormous and will give a huge advantage to the company that wins it. As Bravescot also said, there will probably only be a small number of participants because simply companies do not have enough men in the Alpha to make a proper video.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    I am sorry, but do you still not see that this is unfair in terms of numbers that the different companies have? As I wrote in my post, it is a good idea, but some companies have almost no people that have access to the game right now (take for example my 19th Virginia Battalion.)

The rewards you are offering for this are enormous and will give a huge advantage to the company that wins it. As Bravescot also said, there will probably only be a small number of participants because simply companies do not have enough men in the Alpha to make a proper video.
    +1 I hope the dev team gets a huge, well-deserved backlash from the community for this.
    Captain William Clark Falkner
    2nd Mississippi
    Company F

"I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." - Curtis LeMay
    "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." - Napoleon I
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths." - Julius Caesar

Even though my company could make a pretty good video, I also do not think this is a good idea. Having a company be large isn't a good thing either, as it will fill up servers with the largest companies, leaving small ones to have to participate in worse events or have little chance at all. If there is a rotation, this will cause players in said large regiments to be forced to sit out unfairly.

Company size and fame shouldn't be a competition either. The goal of WoR was to be fun along with historically accurate, and it should stick to that.
    Last edited by David Dire; 07-27-2016 at 01:11 AM.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png