Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reenactors Unite!

USA Major

Reenactors Unite!

Just wondering how many Reenactors we have on these forums..
    Im with the 71st PVI (1st California)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECwzIh5wEI

Corporal of the 7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry/1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry, and Private of the 97th PVI from when I was in Philadelphia, at your service!

(And whatever gave you the idea that this is "Off Topic?" Hehe)

USA Sergeant

Pvt. 11th PVI Co. K (The Bloody 11th)
    A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets.

-William Tecumseh Sherman-

CSA Colonel

We don't really have units in Aus, but I represent a Confederate private. I also do early medieval (Viking age/Dark Age) reenactment, in that I represent a wealthy Anglo-Saxon.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    We don't really have units in Aus, but I represent a Confederate private. I also do early medieval (Viking age/Dark Age) reenactment, in that I represent a wealthy Anglo-Saxon.
    A whealthy anglo-saxon you say?... You better watch out - half the dev team are danes. We'll relieve you of that treasure.

- Trusty

CSA Major

15th SC Infantry, Co. C (Kershaw's Brigade, Longstreet's Corps, ANV), 76th PA Infantry "Keystone Zouaves", and 97th Indiana Infantry.

I would call myself some kind of "hobby historian" + doing living history Indian Wars & Pioneer era 1860s-1890s , i have also portraied a johnny reb some years ago.

USA Sergeant

For all Reenactors would you consider yourself a Campaigner? Progressive? Or Mainstream? Any photos or your impressions? What brought you to the wonderful world or reenacting?

I personally consider myself more progressive... I dont sleep in a dog tent (I sleep in a nice comfy A Frame mostly because the old lady wouldnt be to happy getting changed in a dog tent). I strive to be as authentic as I can while not spending outrageous amounts of money on my gear. I do bring modern items with me and use them but I do hide them from the public.

My Impression is posted as my avatar because im just awesome like that :P

I have always Been interested in the Civil War since I was young and first say the movie Gettysburg..prompting many many visits to the Battlefield since I live only under 3 hours away. Then I found out I had numerous ancestors who had fought. 3 in the 11th Pa Reserves Co. I (40th pvi) 1 in the 63rd Pvi and 1 in the 11th Pvi who went MIA during the Battle of the Wilderness and 2 in the 206th Pvi and thats what I have found so far. I also had family in the south during the time so who knows :P
    Last edited by PvtPalmer11pvi; 07-11-2014 at 03:16 AM.
    A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets.

-William Tecumseh Sherman-

USA Major

I see myself as a campaigner . My unit does allot of living history so I want to make sure I'm giving the right impression.

Any body here going to the 150th of cedar creek in October?

CSA Major

Progressive. As authentic as possible in what you see, but not opposed to a good sleeping bag, propane heater, or battery powered fan in the tent. Clothing is hand-sewn on top stitching and machined where stitching is not visible. I have done some research in this area and have found that sewing machines were likely more common than we think. A friend has an original Godey's which has an ad in the back. Godey's was giving away sewing machines to ladies who sold subscriptions to the magazine! There was also a man in Charleston, SC who ran a girls school and taught the young women to machine sew. When the war broke out, the gentleman began producing uniforms for the army which were machine sewn, an example of which is in the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum. Machine sewing was also increasingly seen in the uniforms produced by the Schuylkill Arsenal as the war went on.