Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reenactors Unite!

USA Major

I'm finding more and more through research that uniforms were all different from one another usually in more ways then one. The union sack coat for instance either had a lining or no lining, stitching and some times color were slightly different. It was all based upon what was available at the time. I have even read that a small amount of federal early war uniforms were dyed with logwood and logwood after a while in the elements turned a rust brown.

CSA Major

Yep, although I had not heard of Union logwood uniforms. Any references to which regiments? You will probably enjoy just looking at the available fabrics here:
    www.bnbtart.com/
    I have also seen Confederate trousers that were striped horizontally and in uneven widths due to the yarn they were made with being from different dye lots, although the color was supposedly the same! My favorite Federal uniforms were made of a fabric called "shoddy." This was made by sweeping the lint from the sewing room floor, patting it down flat and adding glue to hold it together. One regiment uniformed in shoddy cloth was rained on on the march to 1st Manassas and was practically naked when they arrived.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by [RG]Chewie View Post
    I see myself as a campaigner . My unit does allot of living history so I want to make sure I'm giving the right impression.

Any body here going to the 150th of cedar creek in October?
    Cant wait for Cedar Creek! I still have my first uniform I purchased from Fall Creek many years ago. I have a Wambaugh White and Co. Schuylkill fatigue blouse coming. I also need to see Mr. Dirtty Billy at cedar creek for a new hat
    A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets.

-William Tecumseh Sherman-

USA Major

Found this quoted in multiple forums online

An article in Scientific American, August 24, 1861 also substantiates this color change:
    STABLE AND CHANGEABLE COLOURS - FRAUDS
    A regiment belonging to this city (of Washington, D.C.) lately returned after three months' service, and the blue coats of all the companies but one seemed to be as bright as they were on the day the men left. The exceptional company had not been in service over eighteen weeks, as it was a reserve raised after the body of the regiment had gone to Washington; and all coats of this company were entirely new deep rich blue color, but they had become a dirty drab color on the shoulder and all parts that had been exposed to sun light. This cloth had been colored with logwood instead of indigo, and it was a fraud, as logwood can be applied for one-fourth the cost of indigo at the very most. Such frauds should be traced to their source and the guilty parties disgorged.

USA Major

Just purchased a dirty billy private purchase forage cap last tuesday however i am quite envious of the WW & CO fatigue blouse you have on the way.

USA Sergeant

Im very excited I have saved up for a year for this jacket lol and Honestly How is your cap? I heard some people at Old Bedford Village saying he has been slacking on quality?

USA Major

I believe that the federal issue forage caps are on par with the quality of the time, they do look like they will last quite some time however. His private purchase forage caps (if he has any) are much better quality again, as they were in the 1860s, but you pay a higher price (around $145.00).

USA Sergeant

I have saved up my pocket change since last September for a dirty billy hat I have about $130 now But I will see what he has with him. I remember some people saying he was definitely going to be at Cedar Creek so we shall see in October

I use to many years ago. 23rd Va. we were out of Richmond.

USA Lieutenant General

In the 28th Massachusetts "Irish Brigade". I may be going to 150th cedar creek with my unit.