Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapons that need to be in game

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey Emerald Archer,

Amerindian units were more exclusive to the Western armies, and were used as scouts primarily, though they did have their own units. A small exception to this was Co. K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac, and Thomas' Legion in the ANV. However, the former were assigned to the AotP just after General Grant was given command in 1864, and Thomas' Legion was not organized until the 27th of September, after the battle of Antietam. As for Buffalo Soldiers, that is a term that originated from after the Civil War, especially from the Indian Wars period and the Spanish-American War. There were little to no colored troops at the Battle of Antietam. The big push for the use of African-Americans did not really get going until the release of the Emancipation Proclamation. Frederick Douglas had been a huge proponent for their use, but yet again his plans did not come to much fruition until after the Proclamation.

With the two rifles you mentioned, I will say that neither saw much use in the Maryland Campaign. But, we will certainly look into it!

Please keep in mind that this game is less about making a fictional scenario about the Civil War, such as adding gatling guns that were never present on any of the Maryland Campaign battlefields, and more about representing the reality of the war and time period.

Well I see you know more about the history of the war and how it played out than I do. Kudos

I specialize in weapon history, it's just what I like the most (I think that's pretty obvious based on my post....).

Regardless I will be playing this game as long as it does not have a hefty price tag.

thought this didnt go through, accidently double posted
    Last edited by The Emerald Archer; 09-03-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey Emerald Archer,

Amerindian units were more exclusive to the Western armies, and were used as scouts primarily, though they did have their own units. A small exception to this was Co. K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac, and Thomas' Legion in the ANV. However, the former were assigned to the AotP just after General Grant was given command in 1864, and Thomas' Legion was not organized until the 27th of September, after the battle of Antietam. As for Buffalo Soldiers, that is a term that originated from after the Civil War, especially from the Indian Wars period and the Spanish-American War. There were little to no colored troops at the Battle of Antietam. The big push for the use of African-Americans did not really get going until the release of the Emancipation Proclamation. Frederick Douglas had been a huge proponent for their use, but yet again his plans did not come to much fruition until after the Proclamation.

With the two rifles you mentioned, I will say that neither saw much use in the Maryland Campaign. But, we will certainly look into it!

Please keep in mind that this game is less about making a fictional scenario about the Civil War, such as adding gatling guns that were never present on any of the Maryland Campaign battlefields, and more about representing the reality of the war and time period.
    Well you know more about the war and how it played out than I, kudos. I specialize more in weapons history as I enjoy it more (I think this post makes it obvious...)

However, those rifles (Hawken, Kentucky Long) were used in the civil war a bit as they were the top hunting guns of the day, until the more expensive sharps came out. Many used their own hunting guns at the start of the war, especially in the south.

the kentucky long rifle was used most notably by early confederate sharpshooters. However there are examples of normal troops using them. Some were even converted to caplock mechanisms, like this one supposedly used by a man in the 11th Virginia Calvary regiment and was brought from his home to battle

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/kent...vil-war.82976/

He mentions further down that this man was a scout at first and was not sure if this rifle was used while he was a calvaryman. Supposedly that rifle was used in West Virginia, which was very close in time and geography to Virginia in the Civil War, so I'm sure they showed up somewhere. And I heard you guys have a Harper's Ferry map you're working on, well that's in current day West Virginia!

Just to demonstrate the accuracy of the kentucky rifle, Timothy Murphy, the first US sniper, shot a british general and one of his associates from 300 yards out of a tree with a kentucky long rifle (during the revolutionary war). They were the hunting gun of choice during that period and for a long time up until, like I said before, the sharps and others like it came out.
    Last edited by The Emerald Archer; 09-03-2014 at 01:43 AM.