Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving as a unit

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I have an idea from red dead redemption that ive not seen in many other games, While riding in multiplayer on horse with friends you can hold down a button and it keeps you level with your friend so you go same speed, But I do remember sometimes it would be kinda buggy.
    This is a good idea, that way it wont be a lock of any kind but it would help keep pace with everyone else.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I have an idea from red dead redemption that ive not seen in many other games, While riding in multiplayer on horse with friends you can hold down a button and it keeps you level with your friend so you go same speed, But I do remember sometimes it would be kinda buggy.
    Funnily enough, Red Dead Redemption was also what I was thinking off with the soft lock system

USA Captain

In addition there is a more, "hard lock" system which was implemented in a WIP revolutionary war mod for Battlefield Vietnam, where there were invisible "vehicles" which allowed up to 12 people to line up in a row (designated by a flag) and the "driver" could move the line around and make sure everyone was in the same direction

While I know that is FAR from a perfect system, it kinda sorta did work, but like everyone is saying, freedom is king and having a hard lock like that would be a massive damper on the fun factor, not to mention it'd make charges look really silly

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by JulietPapaOscar View Post
    In addition there is a more, "hard lock" system which was implemented in a WIP revolutionary war mod for Battlefield Vietnam, where there were invisible "vehicles" which allowed up to 12 people to line up in a row (designated by a flag) and the "driver" could move the line around and make sure everyone was in the same direction

While I know that is FAR from a perfect system, it kinda sorta did work, but like everyone is saying, freedom is king and having a hard lock like that would be a massive damper on the fun factor, not to mention it'd make charges look really silly
    If they added Hard lock, you, the officer, could turn it off during a charge I guess.
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

USA Brigadier General

guys you talking about a system which locks the players and trusty clarified that nothing like that will happen so you wasting your time
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    guys you talking about a system which locks the players and trusty clarified that nothing like that will happen so you wasting your time
    I know, but providing examples that have been done in the past may provide good context of what to do/what not to do, or provide a base of "here's where we start, let's go from there" etc not wasting time, just throwing about ideas and seeing what sticks

USA Brigadier General

well, the I WANT SKIRMISHES sticks

the idea with the same marching speed is great but we have also to think about the right/left guide by a turn.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

When turning the formation, a trigger would be added to have the soldiers on the outside or end of the formation to move a tad bit faster, I assume.
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

CSA Captain

from what i have seen and been able to do in game so far its not that bad as some are making it out to be. i dont see why there should be a type of lock system at all in the game. i will just take away from what the line man can do in battle. that would also lessen an important part of the game called drill that is so post to teach the men how to do the manual of arms in game it will just take a longer time to learn for most of the players that are going to play. time is the real reason that NaS isnt in the column formation and that over half of the commanders in NaS havent even done the proper drill for there regments for column formations nor even care about those formations but instead do the single line formation to be lazy for the sake of time due in part to the stigma that some have of that mod by saying that it is a one or two hour a day game to play and there is no need for taking more time to properly do column formations. i know for a fact that with 10 men u can do the same formations in NaS that u can do in WoR that are in column formations. but thats why i see that most of the players coming from NaS dont have the right mind set for WoR due to how lazy the early commanders of the first regments where in that mod but that might stem from session but i dont know. if people are just going to play WoR as a NaS 2.0 by going back to the old lazy ways of NaS then why keep on with developing WoR. i do want to see WoR be more of a proper civil war semi hard core sim to what reenacting is and it is getting there. but for the sake of the game as it is now dont whine about one thing that is in the core of the game due to some not wanting to take the time to do it properly and want to take the ez way out. have an open mind and help save and preserve history by playing it to the up most historical accuracy. even in reenacting the lines are not strate and it still takes months to learn how to do the movements propery and still i see vets messing up durring battles. in the kickstarter vid it was stated that the game would adhere to the manual of arms of the time while keeping the fun factor. wanting to put in a system of locking the movement isnt goin to be fun at all and if regments take the single line approach then it wont be fun ether. so i know this has ruffled some feathers and triggered some people but rely trade ur wooden ones in for brass ones and take the time to drill ur men properly in the civil war manual of arms and not use the dumb form of play from NaS.

USA Brigadier General

i agree with you in the term of drill and i think also the devs because they dont will create a lock feature. I think in WoR you will rarely see single column formation. This game will be more as a simulation and i think a lot of them will play it like that, that means they will play it historical like.

We are talking here about a feature which only supports the men in formations. It will happen that somebody due to the ping start to late marching so it will mess up the whole formation. If he knows what do to and would do it correctly if his ping would be better then you can't argue with 'do more drill'.

Next point is if you are 1 step to slow(that means you 1 one step behind your comrades) you have to sprint and maybe you are to fast or you 'bump' the others out of formation.

thats something what will happen even when you drill your soldiers until they do it in sleep (how i will do that 'hehe')

so we are back to the NaS thing

First we have a completely different community in terms of homogeneity. Here are far more historians, reenactors and a lot of "older" people which are interested in a authentic ACW game.

there are some companies which will try to do it 100% correctly. then there are a lot of companies (i think the biggest part) which will try to do it so historical as it can be without affecting the fun and other for them important things.

I bet there will be later events where only companies are accepted which follows historical drill and gameplay. if nobody will host such a historical event its up to the 52nd NY to do that

I think the fear that WoR will mutant to a NaS 2 is unfounded. I think companies which will dont follow historical aspects and so on will have a hard time in this community. WoR is to historical correct and give to much opportunities to ignore them and play it like NaS.
    Last edited by Maximus Decimus Meridius; 08-12-2016 at 12:21 PM.