Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formation Mechanic

USA Captain

Lightbulb Formation Mechanic

image.jpg

So do you guys remember this popping up when the officer yelled, "FORM A LINE BOYS!" I've seen the formations in the alpha and they sometimes take a while for everyone to line up. So maybe when an officer uses the form a line command privates can walk up to the outline and sort of get locked in place. It can prevent people from bumping into each other when you try and straighten as well.

Just a little thought. Open to criticism.

EDIT: Sorry for the low quality screenshot, I didn't have my pc with me so i used my phone to make this post.
    Last edited by Winter; 08-10-2016 at 08:58 AM.

CSA Captain

why delete the other post?

USA Captain

I think this sounds like a great idea, i just think that, if they add the mechanic, they also need to add a button to get "unlocked" from the formation, in case anything goes wrong.
    Proud Captain of the 15th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry B. Company "Brave Danes"

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by FlæK. View Post
    I think this sounds like a great idea, i just think that, if they add the mechanic, they also need to add a button to get "unlocked" from the formation, in case anything goes wrong.
    No button required, just let any action from the player brake the lock.

As I've already stated in many a thread, I'm a big supporter of the whole "soft lock" system. But then really, the softest of locks. Just a speed synchronisation (and possibly a direction synchronisation? Thoughts on that one?), to offset the problems with connections over the internet and the fact that you will never be able to have as many different movement speeds in the game as you have in real life.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by FakeMessiah27 View Post
    No button required, just let any action from the player brake the lock.

As I've already stated in many a thread, I'm a big supporter of the whole "soft lock" system. But then really, the softest of locks. Just a speed synchronisation (and possibly a direction synchronisation? Thoughts on that one?), to offset the problems with connections over the internet and the fact that you will never be able to have as many different movement speeds in the game as you have in real life.
    As I've said before, I'm in full agreement with this idea. I think a number of the initial naysayers have even started to agree after being exposed to the near impossibility of maintaining even the most basic formation while on the move without an advanced speed control system. If anyone wants to contradict me, go right ahead, but if you want to be taken seriously you need to include a video of a unit cohesively marching in a line in War of Rights with the system (or lack of one) that's in place at the moment.
    Captain William Clark Falkner
    2nd Mississippi
    Company F

"I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." - Curtis LeMay
    "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." - Napoleon I
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths." - Julius Caesar

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Doctor Professor View Post
    As I've said before, I'm in full agreement with this idea. I think a number of the initial naysayers have even started to agree after being exposed to the near impossibility of maintaining even the most basic formation while on the move without an advanced speed control system. If anyone wants to contradict me, go right ahead, but if you want to be taken seriously you need to include a video of a unit cohesively marching in a line in War of Rights with the system (or lack of one) that's in place at the moment.
    Exactly! Not even a six man line can stay in line, and its because of a few simple things: 1. Not everyone knows the same drill, (The commands used by the 1st Tx are different from the 42nd VA for example) meaning that they might go forward during a column right, since they have no idea what to do. 2. LAG, is the most noticeable one, all it takes is one person to freeze and the entire company/platoon is now a big blob, with a soft lock, when someone freezes as long as they don't step out of line, they stay in formation. 3. People are people, and people make mistakes, even when we go from shoulder arms to right shoulder you always have someone making ready for example, and if they were in a formation, they couldn't make half the mistakes until they're on the firing line, meaning a tighter formation, and that the firing can be worked on.
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

CSA Major

I like this idea a lot, there are many positives that have been stated that would improve drill mechanics.

Does anyone think though, playing devils advocate, that people whilst in the 'soft lock' mode may get bored? If you don't have to concentrate for ten minutes, and by the size of the current technical alpha map this may be the case, people will start to get agitated? Me, I'd be happy to look around and have a drink but others of a younger audience may struggle with it. It's the only negative, other than technical aspect, that I can think of not implementing this idea.

By the way, I support this.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by MK81 View Post
    I like this idea a lot, there are many positives that have been stated that would improve drill mechanics.

Does anyone think though, playing devils advocate, that people whilst in the 'soft lock' mode may get bored? If you don't have to concentrate for ten minutes, and by the size of the current technical alpha map this may be the case, people will start to get agitated? Me, I'd be happy to look around and have a drink but others of a younger audience may struggle with it. It's the only negative, other than technical aspect, that I can think of not implementing this idea.

By the way, I support this.
    With a soft lock system you'd still be in control and have to make movements etc. If the player was to stop then he would break the lock. I think the soft lock system should be more of a way to help keep speed and not so much the formation.

The problem in game at the moment is keeping pace with each other, if we were synchronized better then I don't think we'd have much trouble with formations.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

Honestly think it comes down to training and game optimization. On NW we are able to form and shoot properly in 60 man lines, don't see why this game wouldn't be able to do the same. Having a visual though would help hehe.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralSquirts View Post
    Honestly think it comes down to training and game optimization. On NW we are able to form and shoot properly in 60 man lines, don't see why this game wouldn't be able to do the same. Having a visual though would help hehe.
    I agree for the most part. But if we have to have a lock on any kind, it should only be to help keep pace and not actual formation (like red dead redemption)

Also, I've never seen anyone in NW use actual formations, they always use snake lines.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion