Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: References for Both Yank and Reb.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    So I've known about THIS page for some time.

But I figured I'd release it for community consumption. Please note that when using the references in this site, to make sure you keep your reading and usage of the information to the period. Anything before 1862 is good. Nothing after 1862 should be ignored.

Enjoy the references.

Respectfully,
    Powell.

Attachment 4137
    I love how on page 12-13 of a System of Target Practice they pretty much explain how DRY FIRING helped improve soldiers aim up to 300%. I've been preaching Dry Fire to my fellow officers for years to improve overall accuracy. Crazy

Great post, extremely helpful.

Thanks for this!

Firing and Reloading in Plain Sight

I found it to be hilarious when I first observed WoR videos on yooboob in 2018. First thing I noticed was everyone lining up like Dominos and mowing each other down like freak farmers on a crack bender. I noticed not one time did anyone take cover to reload. As a long term military history fan, I was reading Civil War books at age 12. My mom worked at Stanford and had a library card. I carried home arms full of thick manuals and color art work of battles. At the age of 12 I could see that in the artwork the troops almost always lined up and fired in ranks - in plain sight. This is entirely unrealistic and shows only a lazy artist. In real Life Americans never adopted Napoleonic Tactics of rank firing. Since Colonial Times Americans are the ones who hide to reload. The only time the British saw an American is when the American was aiming at them. Nobody stands in plain sight to reload. All the 'blanked out' heroes died on the first day. Now, after totally berating everyone in sight in the game itself I notice almost everyone ducking behind the 'rocks of life' that litter a battlefield - instead of standing in front of the rock and firing [then reloading] with 40 enemy soldiers aiming at you - while you do it.

Semper fi

Follow this page: https://youtu.be/BZvmHx4j7wo

war of rights rocks.jpg
    Last edited by R0NH20; 07-10-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NH20 View Post
    At the age of 12 I could see that in the artwork the troops almost always lined up and fired in ranks - in plain sight. This is entirely unrealistic and shows only a lazy artist.
    Wait, so at the age of 12 you decided everything you were reading was wrong... just because it didn't make sense to you? And actual trained historians are just idiots? LOL

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Yup.

Let's not be weird, ok? Whatever argument you tried to make died like roadkill the instant you got personal in a gaming forum with someone you do not know.

nerd.jpg

battle-champion-hill.jpg
    You shared a personal anecdote which I was responding to. I just thought it was funny. Anyway, the above was sketched by Theodore Davis, employed by Harpers Weekly and well respected for his attention to detail, who accompanied Gen. Grant's army on campaign. What you see is Union artillery firing into an ongoing line battle. So, yes, Americans actually stood in formation to reload, even in the backwoods of Mississippi where there were a lot of trees for everyone to hide behind.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Surely you could have used a better print Bradley!?

Something like this:

https://archive.org/details/harpersw...e/232/mode/2up

The Battle of Winchester 1862 as sketched by Alfred Waud. The most renown artist of the time.