Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat

Combat

I would think a lot of people right now are wondering what the combat will be like. Will the melee play a large part? If so what sort of style will it play as for example, mount and blade or chivalry? Shooting of course will be important due to the introduction of the rifled musket. A feature many players may enjoy is using iron sights to shoot as an option. On a side note will there be both 1st and 3rd person? Personally I would enjoy the game even more if we had to be locked into 1st person since it would add a lot to the realism.

There will be melee combat in the game, but I suspect it wont be the main way to kill the enemy. As you said. The rifled musket were introduced and as a result of that, most of the engagements were over before they got into bayonet range. But as to how the mechanic will work, we haven't decided yet . We are trying to make the game as realistic and immersive as possible and therefor the player will be locked in the 1st person view

I am really starting to love the idea of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtkd View Post
    i am really starting to love the idea of this game. :d

+10,000,000,000 :d

Just out of curiosity... how far would you guys go with the realism regarding the lethality of getting shot if you were creating the game?

- Trusty

Hmm depends.Well shots back then dident always kill on impact but rather would wound/rip apart limbs in some cases.I watch a documentary about Gettsburg which had a bit on the bullets use there,the bullet was riged so it would causes infection.The riges would shatter bone to which back then ment amputation or death,which ofcourse made this one of the most brutal wars ever.But to give it that much power would be amazing for realism but would result in a OP weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    Hmm depends.Well shots back then dident always kill on impact but rather would wound/rip apart limbs in some cases.I watch a documentary about Gettsburg which had a bit on the bullets use there,the bullet was riged so it would causes infection.The riges would shatter bone to which back then ment amputation or death,which ofcourse made this one of the most brutal wars ever.But to give it that much power would be amazing for realism but would result in a OP weapon.
    You're talking about the new live action history channel documentary I think. Some pretty nice effects in that one. Actual facts are a bit on the light side though. That being said, yes, it was most certainly not pleasent being on the receiving end of a minié ball. A gut shot back then ment death and we intend to have it just like that in WoR as well. While crippling, a ball to the arms or legs would however be more manageable. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'd love to implement a bandage and bleedout system (think something like DayZ) as well as a "nerf" to the actual limb (like shaky aiming if hit in the arm or not being able to run if hit in the leg).

About the weapons being overpowered, well, weapons were overpowered compared to the tactics of the time. That's the main reason for the high casualties.

- Trusty

Meh it was still good watching xD As i stated before never been a huge civil war fan so dont know much about the time.I was always a Roman guy myself Well it's nice to hear that your going for realism when it comes to shooting.Unlike NW/NaS where you get shot in the face and keep running but when you get shot in the foot you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    Meh it was still good watching xD As i stated before never been a huge civil war fan so dont know much about the time.I was always a Roman guy myself Well it's nice to hear that your going for realism when it comes to shooting.Unlike NW/NaS where you get shot in the face and keep running but when you get shot in the foot you die.
    If you want a nice and easy way into "learning the ropes" check out Ken Burns Civil War. That series and Gettysburg were the ones that drew me into this great conflict.

- Trusty

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    If you want a nice and easy way into "learning the ropes" check out Ken Burns Civil War. That series and Gettysburg were the ones that drew me into this great conflict.

- Trusty

thanks for that information Trusty