Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns swinging around when first aimed

I think there should be some but not as drastic as it is. Maybe have the smoke linger longer so that you loose accuracy because you cant see along with bullet drop and the such. Swaying as bad as it does should be for when you have double quicked or sprinted into position in my opinion so your character is tired and the like.

Perhaps it could be, when you aim and have full stamina, there is no sway, however the less stamina you have, the more sway you have?

And perhaps aiming for more than 10ish seconds could drain stamina, as well as slight stamina drain when you reload?
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Perhaps it could be, when you aim and have full stamina, there is no sway, however the less stamina you have, the more sway you have?

And perhaps aiming for more than 10ish seconds could drain stamina, as well as slight stamina drain when you reload?
    ALL good points!

CSA Major

There should always be some sway, but it should increase or decrease depending on how tired you are. The firearm should never be completely steady unless it's on a rest of some sort.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Captain

Sway

Having participated in my first reenactment today, and firing multiple times, I can confirm there is absolutely no such thing as your rifle swinging around when you first aim. Even with my arms extremely tired, I could hold it as stable as a rock on the ground. My arms shook slightly, however this made no effect on the rifle itself.

Personally I think the mechanic should be replaced by a different one: your gun drooping if aiming it for too long, and there being a regeneration on this when not aiming.
    I RL i have been a soldier for 13 years and I absolutely believe that (sway) drift as it is now is perfect. If you stand upright without support you do not hit a man on 300 meters (328yd)
    Max 1 time out of 10. If you are in a war situation at the same time, with an enemy of 300 meters, yes, then you're shitting in your pants.
    To aim with a heavy rifle fixed with a bayonet, at long distance would be directly stupid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JACK7DK; 12-31-2017 at 02:00 PM.

CSA Captain

I have a Springfield '42 smoothbore and I can tell you that its probably the most unbalanced and heaviest of all the guns represented but, I know where that balance point is on the gun and it is quite good once you learn it and very stable, on par or better than most modern guns ( even with Bayonet on. Weight is a good thing for long shots as any REAL shooter should know shooting free-hand of course ). I kinda get a laugh when I hear Historians talk about the range effectiveness of Rifles during that time when in reality, after the heavy shooting started, its effectiveness was greatly diminished which I think the game is doing a good job of, by the smoke of all arms including Arty of course. The gun sway immediately after shouldering is totally ridiculous along with the barrel droop after 10-11 seconds. You should get a small amount of natural sway during the entirety of the aiming process, not this massive hit you take after shouldering. But as is now, its unrealistic to the point of comical. But I totally agree once you start breathing hard for physical exertion, your gun sway should increase.

I understand the Devs factor of nervousness, fear, and green soldiers, But its being put forth in a too abstract way. The Confederates at this point of war were all experienced with majority being seasoned Units especially with their superior method of fleshing out Regiments. There were many Union Units that were Raw recruits. I think either Sumners or Mansfields or both whole Corps were made up by far of these troops. I made a suggestion to Devs over a year ago that there should be some form of experience level for speeding aiming method or rate of fire ( and doesnt have to be a huge amount ). Rate of fire brings up another point. I had a discussion with a Dev once long ago about it, I was told it was 3 shots a minute. But that is misleading. Going by what he told me then you should get 9 shots off in 3 minutes, but its not gonna happen with aimed shots unless using Sharps. The reasoning behind his logic is, the very first shot which is included, it will be total of 3 but that will be the ONLY minute you will get 3 shots in. If you keep shooting more, the amount of shots per minute will eventually "flatline" far below 3 shots a minute. Some experienced soldiers could get 4 shots a minute and I'm assuming they are using the same formula as the Dev told me but it just goes to show what experienced troops could achieve thus the need for some kind of experience level factor in the game. As far as shitting the pants brought about of fear. When fighting in very close proximety to friendlies as was the case, fear was lessened and higher Unit morale and confidence staying higher with flanks and having back-up support secured by other Units.

How to implement an experience factor ingame would be a big effort. I dont know if keeping record of experience of each individual soldier is even possible. I would think it would best implemented using an overall average Unit performance ( such as kills per Unit and with new recruits bringing that average down ) to bring about improvement in aiming/rate of fire and even Hand-to-Hand combat. Either way it should be small improvements. Also would improve participation of people playing.
    Last edited by Goad; 12-31-2017 at 10:59 PM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    Weight is a good thing for long shots as any REAL shooter should know shooting free-hand of course )..
    What book have you read?

Can you hit on 300 yd? Standing op with an enemy standing 300yd away shooting at YOU. And if you get hit you will surely die. And remember you dont shake.

CSA Major

jack we are talking about 50-100yd shots not 300 i can guarantee you i can hit a target standing still at 50yds no problem free standing shooting and probably 50% at 100yds and i an no marksman and i talking about muskets not new guns, my m4 you cant miss at 50rds unless you try on a man sized silhouette target
    no sure with someone shooting back at you is a different story but how many times i have missed targets at 25yds in this game cause of the sway is almost comical at best stupid at worst the sway is just way to much

also my 600m gun prob weights at least 24lbs so yes weight matters but i dont shoot that standing up on a rest or prone

USA Captain

I am rather happy with the sway as it is at the moment. Focus your aim for a few seconds (also to prevent ridiculous "no scope" situations), aim more precise, and get tired and drop the barrel slowly.

I don't really see a problem here, I think they did a good job balancing "real life" and what has to be in a game to make it balanced and fun to play.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by JACK7DK View Post
    What book have you read?

Can you hit on 300 yd? Standing op with an enemy standing 300yd away shooting at YOU. And if you get hit you will surely die. And remember you dont shake.
    Have you ever put your hands on a War of Southern Independence era Rifle/Musket?. Sounds like you havent. I dont need to read books on this topic guy, I actually shoot. Anyone who says a War of Southern Independence era rifle is this wobbly is out of their damn mind! And maybe not everyone is scared as you are.
    Last edited by Goad; 01-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.