Thread: Number of Companies

USA Major

Number of Companies

The devs have done an absolutely splendid job so far, and I do not want to take away from that in any way.

However, I remember long ago that that there was some discussion regarding the regiments that historically had more than the "regulation" number of companies, either due to enlisting replacement companies as the war dragged on or due to early-war enthusiasm and lack of enforcement. I believe that a number of the Texas companies were the culprits, if memory serves. I also recall the devs saying that they were planning on supporting the extra companies in those cases.

I recently noticed that one particular regiment, the 2nd United States Sharpshooters (though I am sure there are others), actually have support for more companies than actually existed. The eight companies of the 2nd US were numbered A-H (source), but the company tool allows for 10 companies, A-K, excluding "J". Are there plans to restrict this and other regiments down to their historical sizes?

Thank you,

HydricAcid
    Yes, I have souces. If you doubt, just ask. I won't be offended.

2nd Regiment United States Sharpshooters, D Company

USA Captain

No this is just silly, there needs to be a line drawn between, realism and functions of the game. If you only allow however many companies and dont allow the other ones due to the fact it wasnt historically accurate you will find that it would start a shitstorm with people wanting to play as that regiment and not being able to as the companies are all taken up and that many others regiments have more companies in it, if you get what I mean.

CSA Major

I don't see much of an issue here with HydricAcid's suggestion. It's really no different from excluding complete regiments, brigades and divisions because of their absence from the Maryland campaign.

There is a limit in the system, so we won't go through all regiments and check their historical company numbers.
    If we would do it, some artillery units would just have 1 Battery number to choose.

You will be able to choose 10 companies and we won't change that.

USA Major

All right.
    Both of you (General Jackson and Leifr) have good points, and Hinkel's decision makes perfect sense from a gameplay and development standpoint.

There are no hard feelings, just curiosity.

Thank you for your quick response, Hinkel.
    Yes, I have souces. If you doubt, just ask. I won't be offended.

2nd Regiment United States Sharpshooters, D Company