Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How will bigger units than companies work?

How will bigger units than companies work?

I just created a CSA company and i now have 10 members. When the game releases, does my company have to serve the regiment we are in (4th Texas) or will we be independent?

Will units bigger than companies be added to the game at all? (Armies, brigades, regiments ect.) If yes how will these work together as a whole?

USA Captain

Companies will remain independent, it's entirely up to different company commanders to decide to work together and perhaps form a battalion. Of course if one company grows big enough to start a second one, they could also form a battalion. On the topic of those battalions: the devs have said that they do plan on adding support for forming battalions to the company tool in the future, but I don't know how they plan to go about it.

Its more like: Companies within one mother regiment HAVE to work together. The regiment commander represents ALL companies. The regiment commander (or battalion commander) can group up with other regiments to form brigades (2 infantry and 2 batterys for example).

If there are 3 companies using the 20th maine for example, they all share the same commander. If one company might troll the others and make trouble, the regiment commander might have some authority to deal with that troll company.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 10-24-2016 at 02:24 PM.

CSA Major

And what occurs when the regiment commander is the issue, as opposed to the company commands?
    I'm of the opinion that such things should be built on trust and mutual respect rather than relying upon an autocratic system. Give folk the tools to form their own brigades in the Company Tool and leave it at that, rather than enforcing a top-down control of companies within regiments - unless one plans to allow the voting in, and out, of regimental leaders. That said, it is really only the Union so far who have this issue as most of the CSA are spread about different regiments and brigades. It is unfortunate to say that there are folk within this forum who promise one thing and deliver another, I would despair to be locked into that arrangement purely because of our choice in a company designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I'm of Give folk the tools to form their own brigades in the Company Tool and leave it at that, rather than enforcing a top-down control of companies within regiments - unless one plans to allow the voting in, and out, of regimental leaders. That said, it is really only the Union so far who have this issue as most of the CSA are spread about different regiments and brigades. It is unfortunate to say that there are folk within this forum who promise one thing and deliver another, I would despair to be locked into that arrangement purely because of our choice in a company designation.
    People are able to form brigades via the tool, but full regiments and not like 20th Maine Co.A in brigade one, Co.D in brigade 2. Thats non sense, leaving out the battalion lvl complelty.

The Battalion command represents all companies.. even if there are troll companies or hostile companies. His duty is to get them to work together or punish them

+ the regiment command will get voted
    Last edited by Hinkel; 10-24-2016 at 02:38 PM.

CSA Major

Right. In which case, as the 8th Virginia, we are locked into a brigade with the 19th Virginia (Pickett's Brigade) and are unable therefore to align ourselves with Mr A.P Hill's "Light Division" out of choice? Unless I am misunderstanding you here Hinkel (as you haven't espoused your thoughts in a very clear way), and that only complete regiments must remain in their respective brigades?

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Right. In which case, as the 8th Virginia, we are locked into a brigade with the 19th Virginia (Pickett's Brigade) and are unable therefore to align ourselves with Mr A.P Hill's "Light Division" out of choice? Unless I am misunderstanding you here Hinkel (as you haven't espoused your thoughts in a very clear way), and that only complete regiments must remain in their respective brigades?
    All companies, which are using the 8th VA, will have one regiment command.
    The colonel can group up with any other regiments and all his up to 10 companies) will follow. You are not locked into historical brigades. You can group up in "fictional" brigades.

All this is not fully discussed yet. It can change later on

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    All companies, which are using the 8th VA, will have one regiment command.
    The colonel can group up with any other regiments and all his up to 10 companies) will follow. You are not locked into historical brigades. You can group up in "fictional" brigades.

All this is not fully discussed yet. It can change later on
    Right, fantastic! That's about what I wanted to hear, looking forward to more details being released.

Indeed! And it should stay democratic.

Like the colonel can join or form a brigade.. but all his company commanders have to vote for it too.
    If the voting fails, the regiment won't join the brigade

The company commanders can also vote for a new colonel, who represents the regiment.

CSA Captain

I think of it like this:
    compare it to North and South

Brigade = Army
    Regiment = Brigade
    Company = Regiment
    Platoon = Company

and if you know about North and South you know you don't have to be in a Brigade or an Army just because your historical regiment was. Brigades and Regiments(or battalions) are more like communities than anything.