Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How will bigger units than companies work?

CSA Major

Something itches at the back of my mind that would suggest a 'community disinterest' would not displace someone whom is terrible at their command in North and South. I think it's best if we throw North and South out of the window, ignoring it completely. This is War of Rights and certainly not an extension to the Napoleonic Warfare crowd. There's very little resemblence between the two aside from a shared theatre of operations.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Something itches at the back of my mind that would suggest a 'community disinterest' would not displace someone whom is terrible at their command in North and South. I think it's best if we throw North and South out of the window, ignoring it completely. This is War of Rights and certainly not an extension to the Napoleonic Warfare crowd. There's very little resemblence between the two aside from a shared theatre of operations.
    but most people are coming from North and South and Napoleonic Wars so you can assume the community will be very similar. Hopefully less cancerous

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    but most people are coming from North and South and Napoleonic Wars so you can assume the community will be very similar. Hopefully less cancerous
    Sure, as long as you keep in mind that most of the dev team have hardly every played the mod or the DLC - just to manage your expectations. Naturally there will be some overlap in design but I actually find it rather good not knowing a whole lot of the structures of those games. Makes it easier to keep focusing on what is our vision.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Indeed! And it should stay democratic.

Like the colonel can join or form a brigade.. but all his company commanders have to vote for it too.
    If the voting fails, the regiment won't join the brigade

The company commanders can also vote for a new colonel, who represents the regiment.
    Here are some important questions:
    Will there be set times to vote on a new colonel, or does it have to be initiated by the companies?
    If it's initiated, will the companies have free reign to initiate a vote on the regimental staff at any time or can it only be done at certain times during the month/year?
    Will there be a cool down on initiating votes if that's the case, and if so what kind of time range would it be?
    Does a company only need to reach the 10 man muster number for its captain to have a vote or will there be other thresholds?

Quote Originally Posted by Killobytes View Post
    Here are some important questions:
    Will there be set times to vote on a new colonel, or does it have to be initiated by the companies?
    If it's initiated, will the companies have free reign to initiate a vote on the regimental staff at any time or can it only be done at certain times during the month/year?
    Will there be a cool down on initiating votes if that's the case, and if so what kind of time range would it be?
    Does a company only need to reach the 10 man muster number for its captain to have a vote or will there be other thresholds?
    Well, we should discuss it of course.

I think the company commander should be able to initiate a vote at any time, after that, it should be locked for him to initiate another voting for some days.
    The voting of the regimental commander should be for the company leaders only. So not every men in a company can vote, just the company commanders.

My basic idea so far:

1) Once 3 companies (of one regiment) are formed (so each of them have 10 guys), its possible to vote for a regiment commander.
    2) Each company commander can initiate a vote and selecting a person, who should become the regiment commander.
    3) When there are 3 companies, the 3 company commanders are able to vote. The person who got the most votes, will be elected as the regiment commander and got pushed out of his company (new position). If a company commander is selected, his adjutant will be the new commander of the company.
    4) The newly assigned regiment commander can assign each of his companies into a battalion. So its like the platoon system, just on regimental level.
    5) If possible, he can assign a major and lt. colonel to each of the 2 battalions. Those persons will then be kicked out of their companies too, being assigned to the regimental staff.

So thats just the basic idea. We have to discuss the details of course, like if the colonel has any other powers and more.
    BUT: Companies should stay untouched and independent, so the colonel has no rights to change anything WITHIN the companies he commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Its more like: Companies within one mother regiment HAVE to work together. The regiment commander represents ALL companies.
    I would rather serve the 52nd Company A and the 52nd Company A alone, rather than be forced to function as a regiment under a random colonel who I do not care for. This is a mistake, and destroys the purpose for having companies rather than regiments, as in NaS and NW.
    Last edited by David Dire; 10-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA Captain

What if there are say, six companies formed in a regiment with three of those companies all belonging to the same group that has grown big enough to have three companies, and the other three belong to a similarly large group. The two groups don't have anything to do with each other. Let's say then that there is a seventh company that is not aligned to either larger group, to make sure we have an uneven number of votes. Large group A convinces the random company to vote for them and their guy gets Colonel.

If the Colonel then has the power to create battalions and determine which companies go in them and who leads them, that gives him power over large group B. So what if that colonel doesn't want to cooperate with large group B and assign the guy they want as their battalion commander, to actually be their battalion commander?

I don't think a regimental commander should be able to assign the battalions and their commanders. Several groups in the game are already large enough to want or need multiple companies, and the battalions should therefore be reserved as a means for larger groups to be able to run their operations without outside meddling. Just allow two or more companies (within the same regiment of course) to, voluntarily, form a battalion and vote for a battalion commander amongst themselves.

CSA Major

Whilst theoretical, I sincerely doubt that such a situation would arise. Groups large enough to form their own companies and expand into something sizeable are likely going to be looking for a regiment that has room to expand in rather than competing with another.

CSA Captain

Agreed, the only regiment that I see for the CSA currently that has more than 2 companies that are not affiliated and possibly conflicting with each other are the 11th Mississippi companies, for example I think all of the 1st Texans are working together, as are the 50th Georgians. Should be a non-issue as far as I am aware of the situation.
    50th Georgia Co. C "Coffee County Guards"
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

USA 1st Lieutenant

It might just be that if the groups can't work together then they have to leave which would just be determnied by the biggest group getting the regiment