Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War Ancestors

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    Not quite as unique as you might think! Whenever I go out, the people always shout, "there goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt! His name is my name too!"

Best,
    Dman979
    Bringing back alot of memories form elementary school.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    Not quite as unique as you might think! Whenever I go out, the people always shout, "there goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt! His name is my name too!"

Best,
    Dman979
    That made me giggle.

CSA Colonel

Thomas Jonathan Jackson is my 2nd cousin 7x removed. And another general, Martin Witherspoon Gary is my 3rd cousin 7x removed, and part of the Lee family of Virginia came down to SC in the 1760-1770s so I'm part that, so all the Lee and Taylor generals are on that list.

My 6x great grandmother was Susanna Jackson, daughter of Thomas Jackson, who was the brother of Edward Jackson who was Thomas J Jackson's grandfather.
    Last edited by Locke1740; 04-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Major

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I see no reason why we shouldn't keep this going.

After doing some digging on Ancestry, I found out that I am directly descended from several Confederate soldiers on my father's side. Interestingly enough, they all had a few things in common. They all were from North Carolina, they were all infantrymen, and they all survived the war.
    I found out that I am the direct descendant of several Confederate soldiers on my mother's side, as well, and they also had a few things in common; they were all from Tennessee, they were all cavalrymen, and they all were killed in the war - except for one. John Henninger Reagan, the Postmaster General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy.

Colt Single Action Wesley Ducket.jpg
    Wesley Duckett, 29th North Carolina Infantry

John_Henninger_Reagan_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
    John Henninger Reagan, Post Master General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy

2nd Lieutenant Wesley Duckett
    Company Adjutant

Company K, 38th North Carolina Infantry
    "The Carolina Boys"

Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Major

2nd cousin 5 times removed of Stonewall Jackson; GGgrandfathers: Paul Hamilton Craps 15th SC Inf, Co. C and George Washington Moseley 32nd GA Inf, Co. G; Great-uncles Davis and James Wesley Craps 15th SC Inf, Co. C, Matthew and William Moseley, 21st Btn, GA Cav, Francis Marion Moseley, 32nd GA Inf, Co. G, Leander Moseley 7th GA Cav, Co. F, Possibly also Great-uncle Clement C. "Red Clem" Moseley (listed as C.B. Moseley) 21st GA Cav Btn & 7th GA Cav.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by KernelPopcorn View Post
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I see no reason why we shouldn't keep this going.

After doing some digging on Ancestry, I found out that I am directly descended from several Confederate soldiers on my father's side. Interestingly enough, they all had a few things in common. They all were from North Carolina, they were all infantrymen, and they all survived the war.
    I found out that I am the direct descendant of several Confederate soldiers on my mother's side, as well, and they also had a few things in common; they were all from Tennessee, they were all cavalrymen, and they all were killed in the war - except for one. John Henninger Reagan, the Postmaster General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy.

Colt Single Action Wesley Ducket.jpg
    Wesley Duckett, 29th North Carolina Infantry

John_Henninger_Reagan_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
    John Henninger Reagan, Post Master General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy
    That's cool KernelPop, Your ancestor John H. Reagan appointed my Great Great Grandfather as the Postmaster of his hometown of Monterey, VA. It was because of my Great Great Grandfather's position as a Postmaster that he was not granted his amnesty by Andrew Johnson's May 29th, 1865 Amnesty Proclamation. Because of the status as a CS of A government employee, my Great Great Grandfather had to write a letter to President Johnson requesting his amnesty after the war. My Great Great Grandfather was appointed in January 1864 and wrote his amnesty request letter in July 1865. I have a copy of the hand written letter if you'd ever like to see it. It states that in January 1864 that he was appointed by Confederate States Postmaster General, J. H. Regan (spelling mistake in the letter) as the Postmaster of Monterey. Let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy of the letter.

That's my Great Great Grandfather, Nicholas Alexander Whitelaw, in the bottom center picture of my signature (holding the baby).
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    That's cool KernelPop, Your ancestor John H. Reagan appointed my Great Great Grandfather as the Postmaster of his hometown of Monterey, VA. It was because of my Great Great Grandfather's position as a Postmaster that he was not granted his amnesty by Andrew Johnson's May 29th, 1865 Amnesty Proclamation. Because of the status as a CS of A government employee, my Great Great Grandfather had to write a letter to President Johnson requesting his amnesty after the war. My Great Great Grandfather was appointed in January 1864 and wrote his amnesty request letter in July 1865. I have a copy of the hand written letter if you'd ever like to see it. It states that in January 1864 that he was appointed by Confederate States Postmaster General, J. H. Regan (spelling mistake in the letter) as the Postmaster of Monterey. Let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy of the letter.

That's my Great Great Grandfather, Nicholas Alexander Whitelaw, in the bottom center picture of my signature (holding the baby).
    That's really cool! If your great great grandfather was imprisoned in Fort Monroe after the war, he would have been there with my ancestor, and also with Jefferson Davis.
    I'd be glad to see the letter! Feel free to PM a picture of it to me, or maybe even post it in this thread, if you want.

And Shannon, it must be an honor to be related to Stonewall Jackson.

2nd Lieutenant Wesley Duckett
    Company Adjutant

Company K, 38th North Carolina Infantry
    "The Carolina Boys"

Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by KernelPopcorn View Post
    That's really cool! If your great great grandfather was imprisoned in Fort Monroe after the war, he would have been there with my ancestor, and also with Jefferson Davis.
    I'd be glad to see the letter! Feel free to PM a picture of it to me, or maybe even post it in this thread, if you want.

And Shannon, it must be an honor to be related to Stonewall Jackson.
    I don't believe he was ever imprisoned. He enlisted in March '62, and was discharged due to disability by July '62. Did who know's what until his appointment as Post Master in January '64, and then wrote that letter in July '65 with a handful of his neighbors (confirmed by finding the same names on the 1860 and 1870 census as neighbors) signing to vouch for his integrity as a citizen. Kind of ironic seeing they were just part of a rebellion, that his neighbors would consider him a law abiding citizen.

Try clicking here to see the document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bww...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by dmurray6; 05-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

It's amazing he survived, and without getting wounded as far as I know.
    Last edited by acheter; 01-19-2018 at 07:31 PM.

USA Brigadier General

My two ancestors on my mothers side. Both faught in the 15th Wisconsin "Scandinavian" Infantry Regiment Company D. "Norway Wolf Hunters"
    820066666815c8efbfc51754a6be7341.jpg
    Ole. A. Lee - Joined Febuary 10th, 1862 - died at the battle of Stones River (December 31, 1862)
    >The Battle of Island Number Ten
    >The Battle of Perryville
    >The Battle of Stones River
    f6c024df71e2efbfe8c1c9f4344ddf71.jpg
    Halvor A. Lee - Joined January 9th, 1862 - medical discharge 1st, 1863
    >The Battle of Island Number Ten
    >The Battle of Perryville
    >The Battle of Stones River
    Last edited by Johann GŁnderson; 05-10-2017 at 10:52 PM.