CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    With a name like Broussard, he has to be Cajun
    aye, he was from Lafayette, Louisiana
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by DaMonkey View Post
    Brevet Major General Henry J. Hunt was of the second cluster.
    A.P., didn't you say you were an ancestor of H.J. Hunt in some way? I recall you mentioning something about being an ancestor of two prominent Artillery Generals, one from each side. This would be your Northern man, no?
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

Major General John Pope (Union):
    pope5b.jpg

Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon (Union):
    8MtkWFG.jpg

And, finally, believe it or not- (Brevet) Major General George A. Custer (Union):
    220px-GenGACuster.jpg
    Last edited by Childish Gambino; 03-23-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Direct Descendant of 7 Confederate Veterans

Private Angus Skipper, 8th Alabama (Fredericksburg, Salem Church) - GSW to the head left him on guard duty back in Alabama until end of war.
    Private James F. Dean, 37th Alabama (Iuka, Corinth II, Hatchie Bridge, Vicksburg, Lookout Mtn, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Adairsville, New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill, Mt Zion Church, Kennesaw Mtn, Peachtree Creek, Atlanta, Ezra Church, Utoy, Bentonville) He was wounded few times but record says he was present until end of war.
    Private John Proctor Dean, 39th Alabama (Mursfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Bentonville)
    Private Jesse Bryant Dean, 39th Alabama (Mursfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Bentonville)
    Private Ambrose Dean, 53rd Alabama Partisan Ranger (Multiple Raids against Sherman Troops after Atlanta)
    Private James Rowell Dean, 53rd Alabama Partisan Ranger (Laid down arms at Columbia)
    Private Moses Aaron Dean, 1st Alabama (Records and such are barely pieced together for this one, i am not 100% on this one.)

And 7 more veterans by marriage. My family yonder in the yallerhammer state is pretty huge.
    Private Ezra Cook, Massachusetts Sharpshooters Co. K

Living Historian since 2012
    - 10th Illinois Infy Co H "Sandwich Guards" (Former member)
    - The Valley Guards (10th Virginia Infy) (Current)

USA Sergeant

I've a handful on both sides.

J. Welsh, G Co'y. 57th Pennsylvania Emergency Volunteers (enlisted at 57, reserve unit at Gettysburg, mustered out shortly after)
    R Welsh, I Co'y. 62nd Pennsylvania Regt. (Son of above, KIA Dec. 12 1862 at Fredericksburg)
    J. Patton, G Co'y. 140th Pennsylvania Volunteers
    E. Bailey, 29th(?) Virginia Infantry (KIA between 1863 and 1865, records spotty)
    I. Justice, H Co'y. 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union)

There are a few more on my mother's side from WV and VA, including one who allegedly switched sides from Confederacy to Union due to conflict with the Home Guard, but records are scant and in some cases exist solely through oral tradition.
    Last edited by pernicious_albion; 08-21-2018 at 03:37 PM.

CSA Captain

What are the best free sources for finding out what rank your ancestor was? I did find that my great, great, great grandmother filed for Civil War Widow's Pension. Can't find any other specifics on her husband.

National Parks Service, Civil War Soldiers

CSA Captain

What do you do when there are several with the same name? How do you tell if it's really your ancestor?

Narrow it down based on region, look for potential misspellings. Here's what I do:

I take the names, narrow them down by state first.

Next, I take the names I have left and search up regiments and try to narrow down which companies were mustered where (usually counties) or where the regiment was mustered.

I compare the names and the list and where I knew the ancestor lived and it's a pretty good chance that is the person.

USA Lieutenant General

Thread moved, Will be posting about my civil war ancestors and lets just say I have about a whole damn books worth of info on my ancestors. I have many that served my Fathers side served for the union my mothers side fought for the Confederates