Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War Ancestors

CSA Lieutenant General

Neat info man! Especially the letters, that's gold!
    -Old Prospector, 6th LA, Company D

Ancestors all (but 2) died in the Battle & Siege of Vicksburg (Buried in Vicksburg National Military Park): LTG John C. Pemberton's Army of the Mississippi, MG John H. Forney's Divsion, Hebert's Brigade (38th Mississippi), BG William E. Baldwin's Brigade (4th Mississippi)

We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us.

USA Brigadier General

Well I have two.

Captain Morgan L Filkins Company G Co of the 177th New York Volunteer Infantry. No picture sorry. He may have never seen combat. He mustered out the same month as the regiments only battle.

Colonel James Hagan, Hagan's Cavalry Brigade under Wheeler. He saw multiple battles and was wounded multiple times. His promotion to Brigadier General was blocked by Braxton Braggs for being an Alcoholic. Almost all of the battles he was in were in Tennessee and two were in Sought Carolina. He is also a veteran of the Mexican American war and was part of Hayes Texas Rangers. Yes those Texas Rangers. When the war started he took command of the 3rd Alabama Cavalry Regiment.

800px-James_Hagan,_head-and-shoulders_portrait,_facing_right.jpg

I have family that has fought in many of America's wars/Conflicts. My family on my Father's side has been in the US since before the Revolution. They have been here since 1652. I will follow my families footsteps into the military.
    Last edited by Filkins; 10-11-2018 at 07:39 AM.

CSA Sergeant

Hi again- back with an update on Daniel W- Found out new, FASCINATING information about him! Happy Skirmishes II, by the way. If you want to know the first bit of information about him, you can look, page 9, but to sum up his first half, he served from July 1861 through New Year 1863 with the 24th NC, Company G, through Sharpsburg/Antietam, in the west woods with Ransom's brigade!

Turns out he was paid as a substitute for one "D.E McNeil" to enter the 1st North Carolina Heavy Artillery, wherein he transferred to Company D. He was then stationed at Forts Fisher and Anderson, and found himself at Fisher during the fateful two battles of the fort, wherein he was captured in the second assault. His unit was manning the land-face of the fort, so I've read. He was sent to Point Lookout and survived 5 months until he took an oath of allegiance on June 24th, and was released shortly after. He died in March 1895 at 73 years old- He was 39 when he enlisted in 1861, he was 43 when he was mustered out, and his description when exiting point lookout has his hair at that not too advanced age as being "grayish." Likely from the collected stress of 5 years of war.

Happy trails!

My Civil War ancestor was Captain Silas Soule, who refused to participate in the Sand Creek Massacre in Indian Territory.

USA General of the Army

Had insomnia the other night so was working on the Genealogy of myself and my girlfriend.
    Mine goes much further back so while working on the 1800s in her paternal line I came across this gem ...

PVT Sylvanus R. Rorick
    Enlisted 29 July 1862
    C Company 107th New York Infantry Regiment
    Mustered out less than 2 months later after being severely wounded at the Battle of Antietam.

Now if this Son of the South can be totally deliriously happy dating his Daughter of the North ...
    There may actually be some hope for this Community, after all.
    Last edited by John Cooley; 10-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA Major

Pvt. Andrew Jackson Baldridge 39th KY Infantry Co.A
    Feb 16 1863-Sep 15 1865
    https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/ima...axHeight=942.5

Pvt. John Martin Hall 14th KY Infantry Co.G
    Oct 1 1861-Jan 31 1865
    https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/ima...axHeight=942.5

Pvt. James Musick 45th KY Infantry Co.F
    Nov 2 1863- Dec 24 1864

All Union Men
    First Lieutenant Leonard Fritz
    Midwestern Battalion
    7th Michigan Infantry
    Company C

Company Tool-https://warofrights.com/CT_ViewCompa...panyToolHeader
    Discord-https://discord.gg/B5XRwEx
    Forum-https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...igan-Company-A

CSA Major

My Aunt began constructing our family tree two years back and found a somewhat scandalous event in the records. A Great-Great-Grandmother emigrated to Louisiana (from the UK) around 1830 to marry an American citizen. She had divorced her English husband (after having kids, my Great-Grandma) and fled for the United States. We're not really sure of much else beyond this point, nor have the means to do so with British records.

What would be the best way to pursue this regarding American records? It's not strictly ACW but if she had children, they may very well have participated.

USA Major

I would recommend ancestry, though it is pricey It really helps. Try the 2 week free trial to see how it is.
    First Lieutenant Leonard Fritz
    Midwestern Battalion
    7th Michigan Infantry
    Company C

Company Tool-https://warofrights.com/CT_ViewCompa...panyToolHeader
    Discord-https://discord.gg/B5XRwEx
    Forum-https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...igan-Company-A

USA Lieutenant General

These are all my ancestors on my dads side that are of the same name not counting cousins or anything like that

Mellott, Amos enlised as a musician November 4th 1862 with Co. H 158th PVI mustered out 12th Aug 1863 Then was drafted as a Fifer for the 97th PVI Co. A mustered out Jul 31 1865

Mellott, Baltzer W. enlisted Nov 4th 1862 as a Pvt in Co. H 126th PVI mustered out 12th Aug 1863 Then enlisted late Feb 1864 with Co. M 22nd Pa Cavalry Mustered out 31st Oct 1865

Mellott, Caleb Enlisted as a Pvt in Co. I 82nd PVI was killed in action at Hall's Hill Virginia he is buried at Arlington Cemetary

Mellott, Daniel B Was drafted in Co I 82nd PVI mustered out June 1865

Mellott, David R Drafted as a Pvt Nov 28th 1864 in Co. C 29th PVI mustered out July 17th 1865

Mellott, Fred enlisted Nov 25 as a Pvt in Co. B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade

John L Mellott Pvt Enlisted in Co K 12th PA reserves which became the 41st PA he transferred to Co A July 20 1862 Was Killed at the battle of south Mountain during the Maryland Campaign on either the 11th or 12th of september Buried in the Antietam National Cemetery in Sharpsburg

Mellott, George Washington Pvt enlisted Nov 1862 in Co H 158th PVI mustered out Aug 1863

Mellott, Henry T Pvt Enlisted Nov 1862 Co H 158th PVI mustered out Aug 12th 1863

Melllot, Hiram Pvt Enlisted at age 19 January 1864 with the 22nd PA Cavalry Mustered out July 6th 1865

Mellott, Jacob B Pvt Enlisted Feb 27th 1864 Co. C 11th Pa Cavalry Mustered out Aug 13th 1865 in Manchester Virginia

Mellot, Jacob Rowland Pvt enlisted Nov 1862 Co. H 158th PVI was captured and after 40 days as a POW he died of diphtheria June 27th 1863 in Washington North Carolina

Mellott. John L Pvt Co A 11th PVI John died in the 3rd Division 5th Corps Field Hospital in Virginia of remittent fever

Mellott, mason Pvt Enlisted Sept 29th 1864 Co B 56th PVI mustered out may 31st 1865

Mellott, Norris Pvt enlisted Aug 1862 Co B 126th PVI Deserted sept 25th 1862, Moved to ohio was then enlisted or drafted as a Pvt in Co H 130th Indiana Infantry was promoted to CPL was killed in the Nashville Tennessee Campaign Nov 10th 1864 Buried in Nashville National Cemetery

Mellott, Peter Pvt Enlisted April 22nd 1861 12th PVI mustered out Aug 5th 1861 then enlisted in Co B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home brigade December 1862 then mustered out May 29th 1865

Mellott, Samuel B Pvt co I 22nd PVI December 1864 mustered out June 1865

Mellott, Samuel S enlisted 22nd PA Cavalry

Mellott, Simon Pvt Co H 22nd Pa Cavalry Feb 8th 1864 was wounded in knee by a shell fragment in 1864 mustered out Oct 31st 1865 "Was Crippled rest of life cause of shell wound"

Mellott, Stephen Pvt enlisted 1861 In Co A and K 41st PVI then in co B 190th PVI Mustered out July 15th 1865

Mellott, Thomas Caleb Enlisted as a PVT in the 158th PVI Co H mustered out 12th Aug 12th 1863 died 23 days after enlistment ended

Mellott, Cornelius Pvt Enlisted Sept 20th 1861 Co A 11th PVI killed Aug 30 1862 at Second bullrun

Mellott thomas Pvt enlisted Feb 1864 Co. C 11th Pa Cavalry mustered out 13th Aug 1865

Mellott, William Pvt enlisted June 6th 1862 Co. B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade mustered out June 19th 1865

CSA Major

Are you a Mellot by any chance Kyle?