Transferred to 1st NY Independent Battery
    Enlisted Feb 1862
    Died of disease Feb 1865

My wife's ancestor is my avatar.
    Pvt. Daniel Oberheim
    92nd Illinois Infantry
    Enlisted 1862
    Discharged 1865

I had an ancestor who moved from Ireland to fight for the union, He was a private in the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment.

My ancestor was the Regimental Chaplain of the 19th Iowa, but he has a lot more history than that...

Born in England in 1815, he joined the British Army and fought to put down a rebellion in Canada in 1835. He decided to stay in North America after his military service, and entered into schooling. He graduated with a theology degree, and eventually moved to Iowa. In 1864, he joined up to fight in the 19th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned as the Regimental Chaplain. He fought in the battle of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely.

From "THE HISTORY OF THE 19TH IOWA"; "I would not do my duty to the regiment, did I fail to express their sense of gratitude to our revered Chaplain, Rev J.D. Sands. His kind manners, his good example and influence, and not least his noble behaviour in the attack and seige of Spanish Fort, all entitle him to the high place he holds in our affections. He shared the danger of the very front and advance, and his manly bearing in action, and his womanly tenderness to the wounded would extort praise from the most unwilling, how much then it would gain our love"

From his obituary; "A man of his age, ability and military experience might have easily secured the position of colonel or even higher in military rank, but he went as chaplain of the Nineteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and thus served until the close of the war. Chaplains are considered non combatants, consequently are supposed to be in a safe place during an engagement; not so with Chaplain Sands. In the time of an engagement, as members of his old regiment have told me, Chaplain Sands was always found on the firing line with musket in hand and his watchword was always ‘Come on boys.’ "

He is my profile picture

I have found and confirmed several ancestors, mostly from the Appalachians of North Carolina, inclusive of the 29th, the ill-fated and decimated 62nd, and 69th (Thomas' Legion of Cherokee Indians and Highlanders) N.C. The one that got me into the SCV was from the 29th, I have a photocopy of various historical documents proving his honorable service (i.e. did not mutiny nor was discharged dishonorably), thanks to SCV genealogists (I also found and confirmed one ancestor who served in the Revolutionary War, thanks to my family's burial site that made it easy to track him, and other ancestors, down).
    Deo Vindice.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Found out that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Wendel Bleckle was a Pvt in Co. E, 46th New York Volunteer Infantry.

I found some records, the first one states that he deserted in June 1863 but also states that he was discharged in September 1864. Then the second one has no mention of any desertion but just about his discharge in 1864.

Just wondering if anyone has seen that before and what it might mean?
    "The Union..., Must and Shall be Preserved, cost what it may in time, treasure, and blood."- George B. McClellan
    "The Union forever, hurrah boys hurrah, down with the traitors and up with the stars."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Found out that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Wendel Bleckle was a Pvt in Co. E, 46th New York Volunteer Infantry.

I found some records, the first one states that he deserted in June 1863 but also states that he was discharged in September 1864. Then the second one has no mention of any desertion but just about his discharge in 1864.

Just wondering if anyone has seen that before and what it might mean?
    It appears he was captured, paroled, hospitalized, and deserted.

I don't want to speculate about your ancestor, but it was not unusual for men to allow themselves to be captured in order to sign a parole and get themselves at least temporarily out of the war, and it was also not unusual for men to feign illness to avoid the war, as well. When all else failed, many men just deserted altogether. This may explain your ancestor's record, but it might not.

I have attached his record for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    It appears he was captured, paroled, hospitalized, and deserted.

I don't want to speculate about your ancestor, but it was not unusual for men to allow themselves to be captured in order to sign a parole and get themselves at least temporarily out of the war, and it was also not unusual for men to feign illness to avoid the war, as well. When all else failed, many men just deserted altogether. This may explain your ancestor's record, but it might not.

I have attached his record for you.
    My biggest question is why does it it say he was discharged later in 1864 then? Also that the second record has no mention of it? Not to say that you're wrong just find it kind of odd they would bother with putting down that he was discharged in Sept. 1864 if he had deserted in June 1863.

Edit: For example here's a record of another man from the 46th NY that deserted in 1861, but no mention of a discharge.
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 06-15-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    "The Union..., Must and Shall be Preserved, cost what it may in time, treasure, and blood."- George B. McClellan
    "The Union forever, hurrah boys hurrah, down with the traitors and up with the stars."

My best guess is that his timeline looks something like this:

Captured March 31, 1862
    Paroled October 19, 1862
    Hospitalized from October 21, 1862 to April 10, 1863
    Deserted June 13, 1863
    [He must have returned after being AWOL?]
    Hospitalized again October 1864
    Discharged September 15, 1864

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Well I guess that could make sense, I was reading that there where some cases of amnesty being given to deserters if they returned to their units.

Also I came across a Civil War pension record (Spelling of the names a little different but I'm pretty sure it's my ancestor) I don't think deserters would of got pensions.
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 06-16-2020 at 01:56 AM.

My great grand-father:
    Corporal Joab Blackman,
    Company C, 8th Florida Infantry, Col Richard F. Floyd commanding
    Perry's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Corps
    Army of Northern Virginia
    Mustered in: March 10, 1862
    Wounded at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863
    Mustered out: April 9, 1865 (Lee's surrender at Appomattox)
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en..._(Confederate)
    https://archive.org/stream/soldierso...e/189/mode/1up
    http://myweb.fsu.edu/rthompson2//cw/...-fl-inf-c.html
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE