Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War Ancestors

Okay, I have a quite large civil war history in my family.

CSA:

J.C. Hamilton, 2nd Florida Infantry (Brother of private I.A Hamilton, ironically given the subject matter of this game, killed at Sharpsburg, 20 September '62)
    Private I.A. Hamilton, 2nd Florida Cavalry (Direct relative, a multiple times great grandfather)

I know I had a relative with the surname 'Storey' also in the CSA, who's granddaughter would marry the grandson of I.A Hamilton. As well, I had relatives who fought for the CSA in Georgia, North Carolina, and Kentucky regiments, though I do not know their names or units at this time (and will try to update this later).

On the Union side, the only relative I know of was Major General Francis Preston Blair Jr., who would be a cousin.
    "...move swiftly, strike vigorously, and secure all the fruits of victory is the secret of successful war." -Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

USA Lieutenant General

I'm proud to say that I do know that I had a great-great-great grandfather named Wilson Turney in the 51st Ohio Infantry Regiment during Sherman's Atlanta campaign as well as the battles of Franklin and Nashville. I didn't even know about him until roughly 6 months ago and I don't know very much about him at all, unfortunately, and my family tree records are pretty incomplete to say the least so I don't know if there are any others but there very well could be. I was always curious though because I knew that my grandmother was born in Arkansas, so I thought for a while that there was a possibility that I had southern ancestry and possibly even some who fought for the Confederacy, but so far there are none that I'm aware of.

CSA Brigadier General

Reverend Thomas Michael Blackwell, Chaplain for the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Thomas' oldest son who also served in the regiment if memory serves was mortally wounded at Gettysburg during the final assault on Cemetery Ridge and died on July 6th. I am descended from his younger son, Richard Yeadon Blackwell, who ran away from home and joined up with the Partisan Rangers.

I donated as Brigadier General to get the 11th MS unit in his honor.

Blackwell_Thomas-Michael.jpg
    Last edited by Extracrispi; 06-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Extracrispi View Post
    Reverend Thomas Michael Blackwell, Chaplain for the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment.

I donated as Brigadier General to get the 11th MS unit in his honor.

Blackwell_Thomas-Michael.jpg
    Very Cool! I guess I'm the only guy around who's family were made up of nothing but privates, and once corporals turned privates! HAHAHA
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Very Cool! I guess I'm the only guy around who's family were made up of nothing but privates, and once corporals turned privates! HAHAHA
    Yeah, my family traditionally serve in the military as mid-ranking officers (although at least one made it to Brigadier General during Korea because the officer above him was killed in a car accident).

Thomas' oldest son served in the same regiment if memory serves. He was mortally wounded during Pickett's Charge and died around July 6th. I'm descended from his youngest son, Richard Yeadon Blackwell who was too young to join the regular Army (he was not even 10 when the war broke out) so he ran away from home and fell in with the Partisan Rangers.

21682843_1407932397.jpg
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

USA General of the Army

So far have only found one but apparently he was quite dedicated. heh
    Isaac McDonal Cooley was an NCO Pathfinder/Cav Scout in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K and was captured.
    Forced to swear an Oath to not return to the Cavalry ... he then enlisted as a PVT in an Artillery unit.
    (We are still trying to find records showing which exact one since word of mouth stories conflict)
    He was captured again and they knew better than to let him return home so he spent the remainder of the war in a POW Camp.
    Appears Tenacity runs deep in the family. /grin
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

My great great Grandfather fought in the 54th North Carolina infantry. He was 4th Corporal in Co E. (Highland guards) his engagements include Fredricksburg, Chansellorsville, retreat from Gettysburg, in November 1863 he was taken prisoner and imprisoned at point lookout MD, then was exchanged and he was finally wounded at Cold harbor (fractured left leg). 6fcd44fc-60dc-4796-8aa0-2d79cabafaa3.jpg

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd LT Chris Rose. View Post
    My great great Grandfather fought in the 54th North Carolina infantry. He was 4th Corporal in Co E. (Highland guards) his engagements include Fredricksburg, Chansellorsville, retreat from Gettysburg, in November 1863 he was taken prisoner and imprisoned at point lookout MD, then was exchanged and he was finally wounded at Cold harbor (fractured left leg). 6fcd44fc-60dc-4796-8aa0-2d79cabafaa3.jpg
    Very cool. There is a nice monument (on private property i might add, so they wont be trying to pull none of that New Orleans bullshit with this monument) outside of Pt. Lookout. If I can find a pic i took i will post it. Its dedicated to all CSA prisoners who either died at or survived Pt. Lookout.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Exclamation

Giuseppe Paioletti......Captain of the 6th Louisiana "Italian Guards" (Great Great Uncle)
    https://www.fold3.com/document/69350810/

CSA Lieutenant General

So I have a few ancestors, a lot of which I've just recently discovered because they haven't as obvious of a connection. I do have photos of some but I'm just going to post names and what information I have. Some of these are a little more well known and don't need a great deal of information. I'm only going to note the relationships to my direct ancestors, everyone else I will not get in to.

Harrison Haynes, Co. F 1st South Carolina Cavalry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He fought under Gen. Wade Hampton and was at Gettysburg just to name one battle.

Harper Haynes, Co. A 6th South Carolina Cavalry

Jopseh Martin, Co. A 17th South Carolina Infantry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was wounded at the Battle of 2nd Manassas. When he recovered, he was assigned as regimental quartermaster.

William G. Hatcher, Co. G 21st Georgia Infantry - He was killed at the Battle of 2nd Manassas.

John A. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

John J. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

D. Wesley Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

James L. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

Captain James M. Cathey, Co F 25st North Carolina Infantry - He was killed at The Crater.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Major William H. Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest 6th Mississippi Battalion State Troops

Cpt./Col. Jeffrey Forrest Co. C Forrest's Cavalry / 8th Tennessee Cavalry - Killed at the Battle of Okalona

Cpt./Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest Co. D Forrest's Cavalry / 20th Tennessee CSA Regiment
    Last edited by Hatchmo; 06-21-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher