Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A regiment consisted principally of frenchmen during the Maryland campaign ?

Journalist

A regiment consisted principally of frenchmen during the Maryland campaign ?

Hello, I'm looking for a regiment that served during the Maryland campaign (Union or CSA), consisted principally of French-Americans soldiers. I would like to create my company to regroup french players and I think that if there was a regiment like the 55th New York ("Lafayette Guard", mainly made of Franco-American), it could be nice to play. Unfortunately, my research has given nothing, so I appeal to your historical knowledge on this period. Thank you in advance, hoping not to waste your time and sorry for this broken English.

USA Captain

Remember that whilst it's always nice to have a historically accurate regiment, it'seems entirely possible to make something up.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by David B. Monrency View Post
    Hello, I'm looking for a regiment that served during the Maryland campaign (Union or CSA), consisted principally of French-Americans soldiers. I would like to create my company to regroup french players and I think that if there was a regiment like the 55th New York ("Lafayette Guard", mainly made of Franco-American), it could be nice to play. Unfortunately, my research has given nothing, so I appeal to your historical knowledge on this period. Thank you in advance, hoping not to waste your time and sorry for this broken English.
    If your looking for French/Cajun I would recommend Louisiana regiments. They weren't made up entirely of French/Cajun soldiers though, they had alot of nationalities.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

You could create a new company of Coppens Zouaves: All Officers were French or spoke French, The commands were all given in French, They were designed after French Zouaves, The Regiment was mainly filled with French and Swiss immigrants with some Irish, German and Englishmen too. Its about the most French unit of the Maryland Campaign from what I know. You can read about them here http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/...es/history.htm

the Battle of 2nd Bull Run they with the rest of Starkes Brigade resorted to throwing rocks at the Eastern Iron Brigade as they were low on ammunition.
    And at Antietam they went up against the Iron Brigade nearly point blank, They were the last to retreat and by the time they regrouped only 12 men showed up as the rest were Wounded, Killed or looting.
    Battle of Seven Pines they charged and routed two Pennsylvanian regiments with the rest of the Brigade, And they held their ground for a long time when the Pennsylvanian regiment realised that the Louisianans were outnumbered.
    Battle of Williamsburg they engaged in the fiercest fighting and after one of the Zouaves went up to a wounded Yankee pleading to be put out of his misery and killed him with his Rifle But, This was said about them "the most rakish and devilish looking beings I ever saw"
    Oh also they stole a train.. Twice.

Best unit CSA and mainly French. Already a company B and C but A needs filling in

After the Maryland Campaign they practically retired, They whitnessed a few major battles and acted as reserves but the most fighting they got into was a few Skirmishes. They were also reformed as the Confederate States Zouave Battalion.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 11-23-2016 at 12:09 PM.

CSA Captain

Yeah I think the Zouves are a pretty safe bet. You would really need to dig into specific companies to know what nationalities consisted of in each. Each company would be formed from a specific area, usually counties. If you look up the roster of each company, you can see French names and even look up individuals. That's the most in depth way I know. Once this crazy weekend is over I'll try to help you find some.

And on a biased note: Join the CSA, we're WAY more fun!

Best of luck!
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

CSA Captain

Here is a link to a thread for the 55th New York Lafayette guys. Not sure if the guy is following through though.

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...ight=55th+York

USA Brigadier General

Like the others have said, either a Zouave unit or the Louisiana companies would be best. either way i hope you find something your looking for

USA Brigadier General

the 39th NY had a French company.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerCoyote View Post
    the 39th NY had a French company.
    wasn't in the Maryland Campaign

Journalist

Hello everyone, thank you for all your answers. Your help and guidance have guided my research, and I am thinking starting a regiment soon. See you ! And again thank you.