Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 62nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company I - "Les Zouaves d'Anderson"

Journalist

62nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company I - "Les Zouaves d'Anderson"

Welcome to the 62nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company I presentation and recruitment thread. This company is mainly focused on role-play and we expect from our members a certain maturity and teamwork to deal with the perilous situation. Mostly made up of french, the company remains open to people of all origins. Do not hesitate to join us if you are not afraid by indiscipline and to eat frogs, snails, bread, cheese and drink wine in the early morning before the battle.

"In October 1861 this regiment was the most sloppy, unclean and generally disgraceful regiment in Union service. The gaudy Zouave costume always attracted a rowdy element, but this corps contained nothing but vagabonds who stole from friend, foe and civilian alike."
    - Phillip Haythornthwaite

"It was mortifying to find so much neglect of duty, so much inefficiency, and so low a concept of the soldiers position as in the Anderson Zouaves. It's organization was defective and unfortunate."
    - Brigadier General John J. Peck

The 62nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, nicknamed "Anderson Zouaves", (taken in honor of Major Robert Anderson, the hero of Fort Sumter) was a New York volunteer regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It was raised under special authority of the War Department in New York City by Colonel John Lafayette Riker in 1861, in response to President Abraham Lincoln's call for 75,000 volunteers to suppress the insurrection in the rebellious Southern states of the United States of America. The regiment was later numerically designated the Sixty-second New York State Volunteers. They was zouaves units were characterized by exotic and colorful uniforms modeled after Franco-Algerian soldiers, who had dazzled the country with their precision infantry drills.

The regiment was attached to the IV Corps for its first months of service in Washington, DC. Brigadier General John J. Peck is reported to have complained that it was "mortifying to find so much neglect of duty, so much inefficiency, and so low a conception of the soldier's position..." as in the 62nd New York Regiment. It isn't clear as to what warranted such a remark, but the regiment more than redeemed themselves by the war's end. The 62nd fought in the many of the most famous and brutal campaigns and actions of the war. At the end of their 3-year terms they had almost 100% re-enlistment. Three members of the regiment, Edward Browne, James Evans, and Charles E. Morse, were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. A monument honoring the 62nd NY stands north of the Wheat Field Road near Plum Run at the Battlefield of Gettyburg.

The 62nd NY was transferred to the VI Corps of the Army of the Potomac, where it remained for the remainder of the war, except for brief service with the Army of the Shenandoah. The VI Corps had earned distinction for heroism on numerous fronts and earned a reputation as one of the best and toughest units in the Union Army. When General Philip Sheridan was assigned the mission of destroying the breadbasket of the Confederacy, he asked for, and received, the use of the VI Corps for his campaign in the Shenandoah Valley.

Company I of the 62nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment I was raised in June 1861 by Charles G. La Fata, a French officer born in Dordogne of Italian parents who left his native country and became an american citizen in 1849. The members were mostly French New Yorkers, but some came from other neighboring towns, and sometimes even from Louisiana, which they had left after the rebellion. In the early days, orders were given in French and the soldiers spoke, in the majority, in that language. Moreover, the nickname of the regiment "Anderson's Zouaves" was translated in French for "Les Zouaves d'Anderson" by the Co. I members. Subsequently, while other regiments were dissolved and other companies of the 62nd were sending men to consolidate the losses of Company I, it was common to hear in the ranks a wide mix of languages, English, German and French.

If you are interested to join this company, do not hesitate to contact us with a request on this thread. You must choose a role-play name (you can help with this list: https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist..._CW_Roster.pdf). Privileged of French names, although it is totally possible to play a french immigrant with varied origins. American names are also allowed. You can find below the form for give us your contact details. After your validation, you will receive the link of the Discord of the company and you will be invited to the steam group. A site/forum will be created.

Steam link :
    Timezone :
    Name of your character :
    Parlez vous français :
    What language do you speak :
    Do you have a microphone :

Le 62e régiment d'infanterie volontaire de New York, surnommé « Les Zouaves Anderson», (en l'honneur du Major Robert Anderson, le héros du Fort Sumter) était un corps volontaire de New York qui servi dans l'armée de l'Union pendant la guerre civile américaine. Il a été levé sous autorité spéciale du département de la guerre, à New York, par le colonel John Lafayette Riker durant les mois de Mars et de Juin 1861, en réponse à l'appel du président Abraham Lincoln qui demandait 75 000 volontaires pour réprimer l'insurrection dans les États rebelles sud des États-Unis d'Amérique. Ils étaient des unités de zouaves, portant donc les uniformes exotiques et colorés des troupes coloniales franco-algériens, qui c'étaient distingués durant la guerre de Crimée par leur excellentes actions en tant qu’infanterie d’élite.

Le régiment a été attaché au IV Corps pour ses premiers mois de service à Washington, DC. Le Brigadier-Général John J. Peck aurait déploré qu'il était «mortifiant de trouver tant de négligence envers le devoir, tant d'inefficacité et si peu de conception du rôle du soldat» dans le 62e Régiment de New York. On ne sait pas ce qui justifiait une telle remarque, mais le régiment s'est plus que racheté à la fin de la guerre. La 62e a combattu dans de nombreuses campagnes et participa aux batailles les plus célèbres et brutales de la guerre. À la fin de leur engagement de 3 ans, les effectifs du régiment avaient presque 100% de réinscription. Trois membres du régiment, Edward Browne, James Evans et Charles E. Morse, ont reçu la médaille d'honneur du Congrès. Un monument honorant le 62nd NY se tient au nord de Wheat Field Road près de Plum Run, sur le site du champ de bataille de Gettyburg.

Le 62ème NY a été transféré au VIe Corps de l'Armée du Potomac, où il est resté pour le reste de la guerre, à l'exception d'un bref service avec l'Armée du Shenandoah. Le VI Corps avait gagné la distinction de réunir des régiments faisant preuve d'héroïsme sur de nombreux fronts et a gagné une réputation en tant qu'un des meilleures Corps de l'armée de l'Union. Lorsque le général Philip Sheridan fut chargé de détruire le grenier de la Confédération, il demanda et reçut l'usage du VIe Corps pour sa campagne dans la vallée de Shenandoah.

La compagnie I du 62e régiment d'infanterie volontaire de New York à été levée par Charles G. La Fata, un officier français né en Dordogne de parents italiens, qui quitta son pays natal et devenu américain en 1849. Les membres était majoritairement des New Yorkais français, mais certains venait d'autres villes voisines et parfois même de la Louisiane, qu'ils avaient quitté suite à la rebellion. Aux premiers jours, les ordres étaient donnés en français et les soldats parlaient, pour la plus part, dans cette langue. D'ailleurs, le surnom du régiment "Anderson's Zouaves" était traduit en français pour "Les Zouaves d'Anderson" par les membres de la Co. I. Par la suite, alors que d'autres régiment étaient dissouds et que d'autres compagnies de la 62e envoyaient des hommes pour consolider les pertes de la compagnie I, il était courant d'entendre dans les rangs un large mélange de langues, comme de l'anglais, de l'allemand et du français.

Si vous êtes interessé par cette compagnie, n'hésitez pas à nous laisser une demande sur ce poste. Vous devez choisir un nom réaliste (vous pouvez vous aider avec cette liste : https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist..._CW_Roster.pdf). Privilégiez un nom français, bien qu'il soit totalement possible de jouer un immigré ayant des origines diverses. Les noms anglo-saxons sont aussi autorisé. Vous pouvez trouver plus bas le formulaire à remplir et à poster pour nous laisser vos coordonnées. Après votre validation, vous recevrez le lien du Discord de la compagnie et vous serrez invité au groupe steam. Un site/forum va être créé lorsque nous dépasserons un certain quota de soldat.

Lien vers votre profil Steam :
    Timezone :
    Nom de votre personnage :
    Parlez vous français :
    Quel est votre niveau d'anglais :
    Avez vous un microphone :

(Thank you for excusing my spelling and grammar mistakes, I tried to translate the text in English clearly as possible. Do not hesitate to send me private messages to correct me if some passages are illegible.)

Last edited by David B. Monrency; 08-10-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Journalist

Captain Charles G. La Fata

1st Lieutenant Jebediah Fontaine
    2nd Lieutenant Eugène Leterrier

1st Sergeant Jean Schneider

Sergeant David Lopez
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Corporal
    Last edited by David B. Monrency; 07-18-2017 at 07:52 AM.

USA Lieutenant General

Good luck and welcome to the Union mate.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Good luck

USA Captain

Goodluck mate!

USA Brigadier General

Welcome from Company B, 2nd Maryland
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

Journalist

Good evening, thank you for all your encouragement !

Journalist

Français, nous sommes toujours ouvert à vos candidatures !

Lien vers votre profil Steam : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085507647/
    Nationalité : Française
    Timezone : France UTC+01:00
    Nom de votre personnage : Yug
    Parlez vous français : langue maternelle
    Quel est votre niveau d'anglais : moyen, je comprends les ordres sommaires en anglais sur WoR.
    Avez vous un microphone : oui

Journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Yug View Post
    Lien vers votre profil Steam : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085507647/
    Nationalité : Française
    Timezone : France UTC+01:00
    Nom de votre personnage : Yug
    Parlez vous français : langue maternelle
    Quel est votre niveau d'anglais : moyen, je comprends les ordres sommaires en anglais sur WoR.
    Avez vous un microphone : oui
    Bonjour, une demande à été envoyée sur votre Steam afin que nous puissions commencer à discuter.
    Bonne fin de journée à vous !