Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12th North Carolina Company I

12th North Carolina Company I

Greetings!

I have formed the 12th North Carolina Company I and I am looking for recruits to fill the ranks.

Just message me.

12th_NC_Infantry.jpg

CSA Captain

Welcome fellow Tar Heels! Best of luck! Let me know if you need anything I can help with

See you on the field!
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Congrats!

Welcome to the CSA!

Lance,

You might have seen a guy around these fourms named Colonel P.R. Page in command of the 26th VA.

(I just wanted to let you know that I am the same guy.)

To be honest I need help getting people to join my company I've had a page on the company tool and have sent many, many, many invitations to join my company over the past three months to people that were not currently in a company but I have not gotten a single reply.

Could you help me in any way?

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    Lance,

You might have seen a guy around these fourms named Colonel P.R. Page in command of the 26th VA.

To be honest I need help getting people to join my company I've had a page on the company tool and have sent many, many, many invitations to join my company over the past three months to people that were not currently in a company but I have not gotten a single reply.

Though I am not Lance, I feel I could try to give some tips that, though they may not work, when tried, could produce some results.

- If you have not done already, I would highly recommend reading Bravescot's thread about forming a company here:
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...mpany-Regiment
    - Posting an advert about your company on the looking for members thread could always help too, having a good looking poster would help attract further members:
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...ompany-members
    - With my first recruit, back when the company was led by another captain and there was only the two of us, I stated that the first person to join would receive a promotion, this was, at the time, a corporal, he still is my corporal today as he has shown himself to be capable and responsible, now I would not go around giving people high ranks without a purpose, but doing so might provide an incentive to join your company.
    - Being active in the community and gaining relationships with other companies always helps, I will use an example of my own. During a training event between the my company, the 66th NY, and the 42nd Pennsylvania, somebody dropped by to join the training, he was not part in any of our companies and so I asked whether or not he was enjoying the training, he said yes and I furthermore gave an invitation to our company which he accepted.
    - I personally have not used the company tool as a way in attracting members as those members of whom have not joined a company could just not have joined it yet and so are receiving offers of which are ignored.
    - Having a good looking thread always helps as well, the companies of which have decent looking threads and have interesting information such as why you should join their company over others or good looking media and fascinating facts are the ones who will attract members, I will be using Lefir's 8th Virginia thread as it does indeed look very intriguing:
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...mac-Greys-quot
    - You could always get some of your members to recruit others, by this I mean their friends who might seem interested in joining your company, furthermore, since their friends are also within the same company, it could provide a better reason to join.

This are some of the things of which I would attempt in order to gain new members, as I said previously, though they might not always work, it could pay off in the long term, to put this into perspective, it took me over a month to gain one member and in the coming month after that, I gained approximately 6 members.

CSA Major

Captain Trumbull here has written a selection of very fine ideas, and I must also extend my gratitude to him for the recommendation of our thread. I hope that this all helps you along the way Johnny_Reb, you must not be discouraged at all from the process.

Good luck! And great to see you active, glad to have you on our side.

CSA Captain

Lance,

Hey Johnny!

We have all been in your EXACT spot. I think Lyman's post is excellent regarding growing your company. I have a few more points as well:

If I were you, I would actually change my name to an actual name that people can remember easy. A few of my guys got ideas for names either from relatives or the original 38th NC K roster. This isn't a must, but I do think it would help. And have your Steam name match your forum name, so people can put two and two together.

Like was already mentioned, take your time on your thread. A good thread doesnt come overnight, it accumulates through time as you get new ideas and time to work on it. But a good, precise thread will help a lot. I would recommend putting the following info on your thread:

The mission/goal/purpose of your company
    Maybe some personal qualifications
    The history of your company
    The engagements your company was in historically
    An application volunteers can fill out

I think these will help you out, and they also show people that you have put extra effort into your thread because you have to research some of that stuff!

But, I think the biggest way you can ever recruit someone, and the way I have the most response, is to get in the Alpha a LOT. If you see someone without company tags, just ask them if they are looking for a company! You'd be surprised how many people are looking for a company, and all you need to do is get the word out about yours. I'll tell you man, the 38th North Carolina Company K only had 4 men including myself for a long time. It was when we proactively started asking people if they were interested that the recruits started coming more steadily. And if you can, join or host a few drills! These don't have to scheduled, most of my favorite drills were spur of the moment. People want a captain who can lead, so go and show them what your made of! If you ever want some help drilling send me a Steam message and I'll see what I can do

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Lance
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

About the old regiment and company:

The 12th North Caolina Infantry Regiment, formerly the 2nd North Carolina Volunteers but later changed to the 12th North Carolina, was organized near Garysburg, North Carolina, in May, 1861. Its companies were drawn from the counties of Warren, Granville, Catawba, Cleveland, Nash, Duplin, Halifax, and Robeson. The regiment served in General Garland's, Iverson's, and R.D. Johnston's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. After fighting at Hanover Court House it participated in many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, saw action in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations, and ended the war at Appomattox. This unit sustained 211 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 5 at Fredericksburg, and 118 Chancellorsville. Of the 219 engaged at Gettysburg, thirty-six percent were disabled, and there were 3 killed and 11 wounded at Bristoe. It surrendered 8 officers and 139 men of which 76 were armed. The field officers were Colonels Henry E. Coleman, Benjamin O. Wade, and Solomon Williams; Lieutenant Colonels Edward Cantwell, William S. Davis, and Thomas L. Jones; and Majors Robert W. Alston, Augustus W. Burton, and David P. Rowe.

29283390_126654450463.jpg

Col. Solomon Williams

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&PIpi=25704358

The captain of the old company I.

http://www.ourfamtree.org/browse.php...itchin/p427701

More info.

http://www.ourfamtree.org/military.p...NC/12/Infantry

Thanks for all of ya'lls advice!

CSA Captain

About the old regiment and company:

The 12th North Caolina Infantry Regiment, formerly the 2nd North Carolina Volunteers but later changed to the 12th North Carolina, was organized near Garysburg, North Carolina, in May, 1861. Its companies were drawn from the counties of Warren, Granville, Catawba, Cleveland, Nash, Duplin, Halifax, and Robeson. The regiment served in General Garland's, Iverson's, and R.D. Johnston's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. After fighting at Hanover Court House it participated in many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, saw action in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations, and ended the war at Appomattox. This unit sustained 211 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 5 at Fredericksburg, and 118 Chancellorsville. Of the 219 engaged at Gettysburg, thirty-six percent were disabled, and there were 3 killed and 11 wounded at Bristoe. It surrendered 8 officers and 139 men of which 76 were armed. The field officers were Colonels Henry E. Coleman, Benjamin O. Wade, and Solomon Williams; Lieutenant Colonels Edward Cantwell, William S. Davis, and Thomas L. Jones; and Majors Robert W. Alston, Augustus W. Burton, and David P. Rowe.

29283390_126654450463.jpg

Col. Solomon Williams

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&PIpi=25704358

The captain of the old company I.

http://www.ourfamtree.org/browse.php...itchin/p427701

More info.

http://www.ourfamtree.org/military.p...NC/12/Infantry

Thanks for all of ya'lls advice!
    My friend I would place this on your first post the original post of the Thread. Edit that and add this information. So you have everything in one place.
    Hope that helps