Thread: Map size editing

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Map size editing

I was wondering whether it would be possible to implement a system whereby hosts of servers in the game could edit the size of certain maps. My suggestion of how this could arise would be by giving the host a 2D satellite image of the map (like the one used in the Antietam map walk through) before the server is put up on the internet and giving the host the choice to host the entire map, parts of it (that the game creators (The people who have made the game entirely and not the hosts of a server) have put up themselves for a balanced map experience) and or highlighting over the map with a click then drag system (this also being available between resets of the map when one team has won). I would appreciate any dev's reaction to this matter and also of any other forum members opinion on it.
    Last edited by CrabbedSun10; 01-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

I like this idea, but maybe giving server hosts free reign to click and drag across any part of the map isn't exactly possible. I don't know. Maybe it would just be simpler to have the whole map, and then a half of it vertical and horizontal a choice, and then go into quadrants, and then go into specific historic engagements on the map using historical units. Server admins could be allowed to change which part of the map the battle is fought on between rounds. I hope you guys get what I'm saying, because I feel like I explained that horribly.

CSA Captain

I like the idea too, focusing on certain parts of the battlefield like the sunken road or burnsides bridge could be a nice option. But actually i think that the effort is not worth the result, since i think this has to be done by the devs.

And if there are events like reenactments of those parts of the battle the server admins will find a way to manage that
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

We will support a "skirmish battle" (not entirely satisfied with the name) option which will be pretty similar to your suggestion. In short, various areas of the map broken down into smaller, playable areas like (in Antietam's case) Miller's cornfield, bloody lane, burnside bridge etc. This will be our "instant action" gamemode (the full open historical battle maps will be at a quite slow pace compared to skirmish battles).

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

On the topic of maps, what kind of ratio for large maps to small maps are you planning on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    On the topic of maps, what kind of ratio for large maps to small maps are you planning on?
    That depends on what makes sense for the small ones.

- Trusty

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Thank you for releasing this information to us as a community and i am glad to see that you have already implemented a version of what i proposed before did propose it.