Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So devs

Question So devs

I'm curious as to what made a group of Europeans such as yourselves so interested in the American Civil War that you decide to make a game about it
    Recruit Saccadon (Soldier name Daniel R. Rigdon)
    50th Georgia Volunteer Infantry - Company G

USA Captain

Mmm, that I a good question. I don't mean to offend anyone (and I'm sure that Saccardon here doesn't mean any harm either) but why? I didn't think that Europeans would take this much interest in a US event.

Edit: It is extremely flattering though, don't get me wrong.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Greene View Post
    Mmm, that I a good question. I don't mean to offend anyone (and I'm sure that Saccardon here doesn't mean any harm either) but why? I didn't think that Europeans would take this much interest in a US event.

Edit: It is extremely flattering though, don't get me wrong.
    Probably because the use of Napoleonic era tactics with for the time modern Weapons. As we look back on it now it would seem very stupid but that's really all they where tough. It wasn't until later in the war and further development of skirmish tactics and updated weapons did people realize that forming a line was not so bright and that you could achieve the same goal with troops spread in a Skirmish order!

-Mac
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?761-28th-Regiment-Massachusetts-Volunteer-Infantry-Company-A

Well, for myself:

I am german, creating civil war mods since 10 years now. I released 6 different mods about the civil war yet, for 6 different games (I would say, all successfull civil war mods are made by me somehow, which I am proud off!)
    My interest in the war started 26 years ago, when I first watched "North and South" in the TV. Then I played "north and south" on my amiga 500, which boosted the interest again!

Now, 26 years later, I am working on the biggest civil war gaming project up to date (War of Rights of course )and I can't wait to show the results to our loyal fans!
    Its not just about the warfare, the entire civil war background is interesting, the people, the persons and such!

CSA Captain

not a dev but am English and have an interest in the war.

But Europeans played a large part in the War, Their were thousands of people from all over Europe that went to fight in the Civil War, Men from Germany, England, Poland, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and many more places.

Even whole regiments made of only Europeans such as the famous 69th New York who were all Irish, The 39th New York that was filled with French, Italians, Germans and Hungarians. You even had Foreign Generals such as Franz Sigel.

In the Confederate Navy you also had ships that were made here in Britain and had full British crews, Such as the CSS Alabama, Everyone on the ship (minus some officers maybe) came from Liverpool, Hell we still sing songs about the ship here in England today (Roll Alabama Roll).

Also look at units filled with Europeans, And you'll see they are the coolest ones. 79th New York "Cameron Highlanders" yeah they were not all Europeans but most of them came from Britain. the Fighting 69th, It's in the name. The original Louisiana Tigers (Co. B 1st Special Battalion) was mainly Irish or Ulster Scots. Coppens Zouaves, Mainly French and Swiss, But there where men from everywhere. They were the only unit to steal a train from their officers twice.

that's why I am interested in the War anyway. Also for some Europeans the war directly affected them, Because of the Union Blockade, It was hard to get cotton to Britain from the South, And so their were people all over Britain at risk of loosing their jobs because they couldn't buy the cotton to then weave. And back then if you lost your job you couldn't just go to Job Seekers and start living of Benefits, You became poor and were forced to live on the streets until you can find a job that pays well enough for a house and food.

We're not all European - we have a few yanks and an aussie also.

There'a something about American history that draws us. The civil war, the west, etc. I suspect it's due to the fact that our history were more in direct relation back then - European immigrants.

Personally, my interest began when watching Gettysburg as a kid. Many years later the other co-founder Fancy luckily aggreed to a civil war themed historically authentic game.

- Trusty

Follow-up question; Do any of the developers re-enact?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
    Follow-up question; Do any of the developers re-enact?
    George, our historical advisor does.

Fancy and myself got to try reenacting for the first time in this years Gettysburg reenactment - quite an experience!

- Trusty

USA Lieutenant General

This is all information I am happy to know now!

USA 1st Lieutenant

I have little to no genuine interest in almost the entirety of the war but it looked like a good game