Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some interesting ideas

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I would greatly appreciate it, as my own research in the matter has dug up very little.
    After some searching i found a little page http://www.thaddeuslowe.name/CWAntietam.htm saying that the "balloon corps" was not present at Sharpsburg. Yet i had not the time reading through the summary here http://www.thaddeuslowe.name/CWsummary.htm
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

That's a page from Lowe's memoirs, which I was just reading as well... I had read somewhere - I forget where - that the Balloon Corps had been deployed at Sharpsburg. However, according to Lowe's memoirs, they didn't arrive at Sharpsburg until the 21st or so... so I'm going to go with the memoirs. Sorry for the mix-up I also found a photograph of a balloon, and the caption read that the photograph had been taken at Antietam. I found the same photograph somewhere else, with the caption saying it had been taken at the battle of Fair Oaks... so there seems to be some confusion on the matter.
    Für das Vaterland.

CSA Captain

would you mind sharing this photo ? confusion with sources/ places / origins is everywhere to be found

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

Here

Attached Images Attached Images
    Für das Vaterland.

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't fibbing.

CSA Captain

Thanks for sharing the photo, i have seen this on Wikipedia and the source there says that the photo is showing "Prof. Lowe ascending in the Intrepid to observe the Battle of Fair Oaks"

- Iced Earth

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    to observe the Battle of Fair Oaks"
    Which took place during the Peninsula Campaign.

USA Captain

OMG that balloon!