Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting ideas

USA 1st Lieutenant

Some interesting ideas

Hi guys,I have been following your community for a long time and finnaly decided to join.Then I thought starting to give some ideas to you that you might enjoys.I always enjoy the technology that war brings us and this one was no exception.

Hot air ballons for reconnaissance
    The gatling gun
    Telegraph stations and field operators
    Ability to create traps like the trou de loup or hiding a keg with gunpowder on it to create a big suprise boom.
    Siege mortars/howitzers

Welcome to the community!

Well, some of your suggestions are not possible, due to historical reasons.
    War of Rights features the Maryland Campaign of September 1862 and its battles. There was no use of the Gatling Gun at all, so there is no reason to add this gun ingame
    Also, there are no historical references to some other ideas you had, so I doubt that we will include them.

We try to keep The game authentic as possible, based on the historical references we have.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Thank you Hinkel.

There goes my dream of firing that Gatling.

Also which suggestions can t be added for historical reasons?

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Mancom37 View Post
    Thank you Hinkel.

There goes my dream of firing that Gatling.

Also which suggestions can t be added for historical reasons?
    Your suggestion about the powder keg probably

I think I will take up the banner here.
    Hot air balloons were not present at any of the battles in the Maryland Campaign, but had been present before at the Peninsula Campaign and at the Battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville right after.
    The Gatling Gun, while I do agree would be a very cool and DEVASTATING weapon to use on the battlefield, were not used anywhere near the Maryland Campaign. Unfortunately, a very conservative War Department was very resistant of any new ideas, especially things like repeater small arms or the Gatling gun. It was first used at the Siege of Petersburg, when several Union commanders decided to spring for some from their own personal funds.
    As for the telegraph, while there certainly was extensive use of it during the Civil War, there was not enough time to set up telegraph lines or field stations, though there WAS enough time for McClellan to set up Signal Corps stations on his right and left. There was a station at the top of Elk Mountain that was able to relay tons of very helpful information as to enemy movement through the entire battle.
    Gunpowder: no. I'm sorry but it is much more useful, efficeint, and precious to shoot it out of your weapon than to shoot a barrel of it, though if someone happened to be close to a supply wagon were it shot...
    And finally, while there was absolutely no use for any sort of heavy siege equipment like mortars at any of the battles, howitzers were used on occasion as one of the guns in some batteries. However, it was much more common to see on the Confederate side. At Antietam, there were 58 Mountain Howitzers, whereas the Union only had 3 fielded.
    Now, despite the boot of historical accuracy being put down hard, we want to keep hearing suggestions from you and others. You are one of the best driving tools the team has to get this game going! Keep on!

Balloons were used in the Maryland campaign, at Sharpsburg.
    Für das Vaterland.

USA General of the Army

Chadman can commentate the battle from one of them

USA Captain

We can ask him when the game comes out

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Hairywarhero View Post
    We can ask him when the game comes out
    I can see it now. Chadman in a full suit and top hat in his own balloon commenting the battle as it goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Aniallator View Post
    Balloons were used in the Maryland campaign, at Sharpsburg.
    Do you have a source for this? I would greatly appreciate it, as my own research in the matter has dug up very little.