Thread: 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment, Company H "Roswell Guards" First Battle Bull Run

Question 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment, Company H "Roswell Guards" First Battle Bull Run

Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Timebandithunter. My great great grandfather Thomas Jefferson Kirk was in the 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment, Company H "Roswell Guards". He was killed in the first assault at the first battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861. His body wasn't returned home to Roswell Georgia. Does anyone know where the killed Confederate soldiers from that battle were buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebandithunter View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Timebandithunter. My great great grandfather Thomas Jefferson Kirk was in the 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment, Company H "Roswell Guards". He was killed in the first assault at the first battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861. His body wasn't returned home to Roswell Georgia. Does anyone know where the killed Confederate soldiers from that battle were buried.
    Hi there tried to check that for you but my knowledge is limited.

Maybe this will help a little:
    http://civilwarwiki.net/wiki/Groveto...(Manassas,_VA)

Must be enough historians here that will help you out. Best of luck.

Hello Jeffrey_Confederate. Thanks you so much for the website you gave me. I have no doubt that my 2nd great grandfather is indeed one of the 266 unknowns buried there at Groveton Confederate Cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebandithunter View Post
    Hello Jeffrey_Confederate. Thanks you so much for the website you gave me. I have no doubt that my 2nd great grandfather is indeed one of the 266 unknowns buried there at Groveton Confederate Cemetery.
    Sure your more than welcome.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Oh, tough luck being a casualty at first Manassas. With the CSA holding the field, they probably buried him on the field. There is a national military cemetery at the park. I don't know if it covers both battles or just one. Transportation being what it was back then and the lack of refrigeration capacity there's a good chance he didn't get sent home to a local cemetery, however there could be that chance.

Good luck hunting.