Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Were there any third parties of the ACW?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The closest you'll come to third parties would be those of the bushwhackers/guerrillas operating in the borderstates I'd say.

- Trusty
    Actually, I wish to respectfully disagree with this statement. Bushwhackers/Guerrillas usually operated for either side. They were usually the radical edges of either side, not wholly military, and not wholly untrained militarily.

When someone says, "Third Party" to me, I get the impression of the Hessians used by Britain during the American Revolutionary War. Paid mercenaries actively engaged in the conflict.

For all my reading and research, I have never found where any other country was actively employed by either side, or provided troops as a paid service to either aggressor.

The closest I've come to this would be the use of blockade runners to transport goods into and out of the Southern states. The reasons behind it would be instant wealth, and the need for certain goods required. In this case, the operators of the blockade runners were mostly British.

Not really a country I was looking for, but more like a military group that opposed both the Union and Confederacy that had their own political agenda.

How are Hessians a third party in the American Revolution? Because they were Germans? They were still in service of, uniformed, equipped and paid by Great Britain.

To some extend, the native American tribes were third parties with semi-souvereign, though you can also simply consider them territories of whatever side they choose to allign themselves with.

I am thinking of countries like Switzerland in WW1. A neutral party that fights both sides in the war.

USA 1st Lieutenant

I would see third party as a third side who belonged to neither of the other two sides and maybe even fought both sides

Quote Originally Posted by BloodBeag View Post
    I would see third party as a third side who belonged to neither of the other two sides and maybe even fought both sides
    That's what I was thinking of.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clock View Post
    If thats the case then no, there were no third parties involved in the Civil War.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clock View Post
    Nope.

If that's whatyou're thinking then it's just purely wrong.

USA 1st Lieutenant

what about some native americans? or were they all firmly on one side or the other?

CSA Major

what about some native americans? or were they all firmly on one side or the other?
    Not really a third party though. They usually just chose one side or the other.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion