Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Were there any third parties of the ACW?

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

The closest that I know of to what you were looking for is the Free State of Jones which formed in 1863 by a group of Confederate deserters in Jones County, Mississippi. Here's the Wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_...State_of_Jones

Matthew McConaughey starred in a movie about it last year. Although if you are looking for a good Civil War movie, don't bother. Its the usual Hollywood make believe.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Actually, I disagree with this also.
    Knight's story is a long convoluted one, and sadly not told well by wiki. (Personally, I dislike that site.)

This article I found to be more in depth.

No point in summarizing the article.

Just because Knight fought against both, it's important to understand how and why he did. But a single individual and a handful of others doesn't make a "third party" I feel, in the sense that is being pursued here.

Note that Knight claimed secession from the Confederacy, but he also claimed loyalty to the Union. Not truly a "neutral" third party fighting against both sides.

CSA Major

Imo a third party would have to be a recognized and established country, (Britain, France, etc.)

Native Americans or any other group wouldn't really be a third party.

Either way, no third parties were really involved in the war.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

What do you mean by third party? A third faction that is engaging against two other or an ally of either the Union or the Conferacy?

The first I really don't know. The second,AFAIK,the French Empire almost fought on the confederates side,as Napoleon III had plans to do it had they managed to win the mexicans at the Franco-Mexican War. Britain's help was asked by the confederates as well (with the argument that "their"precious cotton was at the Southern states),but the US threatened them,so they decided to get cotton from somewhere else (don't remember where,probably the caribbean islands).

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Kar98 View Post
    Britain's help was asked by the confederates as well (with the argument that "their"precious cotton was at the Southern states),but the US threatened them,so they decided to get cotton from somewhere else (don't remember where,probably the caribbean islands).
    India.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
    India.
    Yeah, it was India. Google "King Cotton." It's quite an interesting story.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot