Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uniform and accoutrament tips

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Interesting point on the weight. Maybe on a long march I'd be more inclined to agree with you, and maybe in those instances some soldiers slung their bedrolls right to left. But, a soldier's primary function is to fight, and having a thick blanket pushing the butt of the rifle farther out from the body throws off the average man's ability to properly hold and aim the rifle. Maybe there were some soldiers who didn't mind that or had really long arms, but I'm betting the majority of soldiers wore their rolls slung left to right when marching into battle.
    I have no personal experience with doing live fire with a bedroll... guess I better try it the next time I get the chance to do some live fire.

But I think the problem would be similar to using a 7.62mm military rifle when wearing older types of body armor where the but of the rifle have to be on the armor.... and sure it takes a bit to get use to... but is possible, and a blanket (when you make sure that only the blanket it between the butt and your shoulder)

And with the marksmanship skills of the average soldier I don't think it would make much difference.

I agree that the primary job is to fight. But a acw soldier would usually know in advance when going into combat... so It would likely be possible to change it at some point before. (it was normal to "only" march 50minutes pr hour)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    I agree that the primary job is to fight. But a acw soldier would usually know in advance when going into combat... so It would likely be possible to change it at some point before. (it was normal to "only" march 50minutes pr hour)
    I guess we can agree to disagree. Maybe the devs could make a version of the blankets for each shoulder so that players can choose the one they like.

USA Brigadier General

That would be great. I love the idea that you can every detail on your character
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    The customization shouldn't be too much down to the player. If it were you'd have some very flamboyant uniforms running about the battlefield.
    You are a true kinda fuck tard just so you know, it dont matter what the fuck you say or how much you think you know they grey JOHNNY REBEL you thinks of is a myth all that grey and orderly looking uniforms was gone after 61

Quote Originally Posted by LukeYoung View Post
    You are a true kinda fuck tard just so you know, it dont matter what the fuck you say or how much you think you know they grey JOHNNY REBEL you thinks of is a myth all that grey and orderly looking uniforms was gone after 61
    If you take a look again at what you quoted, that is in part what he is trying to get at. He is saying that we don't need the flamboyant uniforms that too-much customization would foster. I can also assure you however that we will have enough customization in place to allow the Northern and Southern ranks to not be like what was seen in 1861. On another note LukeYoung, I suggest toning down the aggressiveness of your wording. I do understand that you and many others might not have had a chance at looking at our rather new forum rules that you can find here, but I do wish to stress that as of now they are going to start being enforced. But please, continue to comment on whatever you might see as being off, as we are always open to constructive criticism within the prescribed rules. But praise is always nice to have too!

USA Sergeant

Hmm, someone who need to study his sources.

Sure during the "Sharpsburg campaign" they where ragged according to the sources... so that look would be relevant to the first version of this game.

But thanks to imported english wool that was run true the blockade... their uniform standard actually got better and by late summer 1864, Lee's army was no longer poorly uniformed.

http://military-historians.org/compa...federate-1.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBBGzOXAbA
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

RhettVito
    Quote Originally Posted by spe801 View Post
    First of all, let me say that so far it is awesome how much effort you have put in to the way the soldiers in this game would look. However, there are a few things that I think could make it even better. This won't be very organized, it's just kind of rolling out of my head. Also, it's basically all Confederate because that's what I've really studied.

1. When wearing blanket rolls the top of the blanket would hang over the left shoulder instead of right. If it hung over the right shoulder you would have a thick blanket impeding your aiming. Also, there need to be variants of blankets. Confederates had all kinds of things they would use for blankets such as coverlets, carpet, homemade, captured, or basically anything they could get their hands on. Also, it wouldn't hurt for every few of them to have an oil/ground cloth wrapped over their blankets.

2. The Confederates were very well noted as being particularly ragged and filthy during the Sharpsburg Campaign. What I'm saying is dirty them up/some holes in the shoes/fray their clothing/maybe some small holes/tears (I'm not saying give a few just loin cloths). I know the military stresses cleanliness but that's hard to do when you're marching about 20 miles a day, wiping grease on your pants, spilling stuff on your shirt or jacket, or always having your knees and elbows on the ground getting dirty when resting. Also, if any of you have been to reenactments, they did not sleep in tents while on campaign, all they had was what was on their backs.

3. It seems that everyone has the same canteen and haversack. There were several different types of canteens and haversacks that the Confederates used. I know it may be too much work but it would be very cool.

4. Maybe let the Confederates have some Federal gear captured from 2nd Mannassas? I'm not saying the cliche wearing captured federal jackets and pants (bowels release after death and I'd rather not take those pants off a dead man). I'm saying maybe federal canteens, shoes, haversacks. An extra special touch would be having the name of a Federal regiment painted on the back of the haversack, maybe one that took really heavy casualties at 2nd Mannassas?

5. I really like the 3 differing types of jackets that you use for the Confederates. An extra special touch would be to maybe add in civilian jackets and pants.

6. And finally, hats. If you look at pictures of Confederates in the field their hats are absolute junk. They may be issued a nice new hat, but once they get it they shape it to how they want it. After they get it shaped it gets rained on, dirtied, greasy, and the results can be pretty interesting

Thanks for reading if you did and sorry if I rambled or didn't make sense, I don't have class tomorrow so I'm enjoying some O-Be-Joyful.

This man knows what he is talking about thank you man if you have steam please add me Mr.spe801 My steam is Rhett63 or on facebook if you like its Rhett D Vito

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    If you take a look again at what you quoted, that is in part what he is trying to get at. He is saying that we don't need the flamboyant uniforms that too-much customization would foster. I can also assure you however that we will have enough customization in place to allow the Northern and Southern ranks to not be like what was seen in 1861. On another note LukeYoung, I suggest toning down the aggressiveness of your wording. I do understand that you and many others might not have had a chance at looking at our rather new forum rules that you can find here, but I do wish to stress that as of now they are going to start being enforced. But please, continue to comment on whatever you might see as being off, as we are always open to constructive criticism within the prescribed rules. But praise is always nice to have too!
    Let me simplify this down a bit , you have around 2000 backers for this game and yall still give the same excuse everytime someone who does criticize our opinions mabey instead of using you poor excuse as a reenactor as a primary source why don't they get someone who does know what they doing sense they do have over $150k donated by the people who wanna see a authentic Civil War game and trust me this game has been all over authentic Civil War forums and it's the same thing from everyone the uniforms look horribly incorrect. Thanks

CSA Brigadier General

Ain't no one going to listen to you when you talk like that Luke. No matter how correct/incorrect you are. Have some tact.
    11th Mississippi Infantry, "Lamar Rifles" Company G [NA]

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    Ain't no one going to listen to you when you talk like that Luke. No matter how correct/incorrect you are. Have some tact.
    See what i mean asked for criticism and gets butt hurt.... Welcome to 2015 were anything you say someone will be butt hurt..