Thread: Holt Collier - A True Southern Patriot

Banned

Holt Collier - A True Southern Patriot

Mr Collier was born a slave in the state of Mississippi. At age 10, he had killed his first bear, as it was his job to supply meat for his master's family. When the Civil War broke out, Collier was eager to fight, but his master told him he was too young, stating "I begged like a dog, but they stuck to it -- 'You are too young'". Despite this, he stowed away on a riverboat and joined his master's son in Memphis, Tennessee.

He was present at the Battle of Shiloh and witnessed the death of General Johnston and, despite there being a prohibition against blacks serving in uniform, the Confederate army made an exception due to Collier's impressive skills. Collier would serve throughout the war, fighting in Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

At the end of the war, he was connected to the killing of a Yankee soldier during the Northern occupation and was arrested, but thanks to the persistent efforts of Colonel W. A. Percy, he was not executed. He partook in several protests against the occupation and said he was "the only negro among 500 white men" marching up Washington Avenue under fire, as a protest against the insults to the white men and women of Greenville.

Last edited by Mi'kmaq; 06-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stvermont View Post
    Interesting post thanks.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

CSA Colonel

I really enjoyed learning about this guy,

i think you'd like hearing about this,
    Dan "Uncle Dad" Brown was a free black man in South Carolina at the beginning of the war. When Fort Sumter was fired on, he wrote a letter to the governor saying he would give his life for the state. He would survive the war after fighting in the 1st, 7th, and 21st South Carolina Infantries.
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    I really enjoyed learning about this guy,

i think you'd like hearing about this,
    Dan "Uncle Dad" Brown was a free black man in South Carolina at the beginning of the war. When Fort Sumter was fired on, he wrote a letter to the governor saying he would give his life for the state. He would survive the war after fighting in the 1st, 7th, and 21st South Carolina Infantries.
    I've heard about that gentleman some where. Interesting fellow, indeed. Captured a pair of Yankee drumsticks. They were his prized possession!

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Mi'kmaq View Post
    I've heard about that gentleman some where. Interesting fellow, indeed. Captured a pair of Yankee drumsticks. They were his prized possession!
    now i never heard of what he captured! Interesting!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

This was the guy that gave us the nickname "Teddy" for President Theodore Roosevelt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel P. R. Page View Post
    This was the guy that gave us the nickname "Teddy" for President Theodore Roosevelt.
    And Teddy hated it so much lololol.

good man