View Poll Results: What order relay system would you like to see?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Player couriers running written orders from player officers.

44 45.83%
  • Player couriers running "letters" that, when opened update that units movement or attack orders.

19 19.79%
  • AI couriers running written orders from player officers

11 11.46%
  • AI couriers running "letters" that, when opened update that unit's movement or attack orders.

13 13.54%
  • Player officers write letters to specific unit officers that appear on screen after a delay.

4 4.17%
  • Player officers write "letters" to specific unit officers that updates his orders after a delay.

5 5.21%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Order relay preferences

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Order relay preferences

To be more specific.

Option 1: Real people who choose to play as couriers are given a letter at HQ. This letter has worded orders written by the highest ranking officer on the field. The courier then is given a waypoint on his map or on his hud, displaying where the regiment's last known location was. He has to go there either on foot or on horse, track down the regiment, and give the colonel the letter. The colonel reads the letter, and acts accordingly.

Option 2: Real people who choose to play as couriers are given a letter at HQ. The letter is merely just a representation, and really holds no words. The highest ranking officer at HQ selects that he wants to create a letter, he configures new attack/defend/movement/patrol/camp/skirmish waypoints for the regiment in the letter. The letter is given to the courier. The courier is given a waypoint on his hud, displaying where the regiment's last known location was. He has to go either on foot or on horse, track down the regiment, and give the colonel the letter. The colonel opens the letter given. By doing so, it automatically places the selected waypoint on every officer in that regiment's hud, so they all know their new orders, and act accordingly.

Option 3: Same as option one, except the courier is AI.

Option 4: Same as option two except the courier is AI.

Option 5: Same as option one, except there is no actual courier and the letter automatically appears to the colonel after the appropriate delay depending on that regiment's distance from HQ.

Option 6: Same as option two, except there is no actual courier and the orders automatically appear to the colonel after the appropriate delay depending on that regiment's distance from HQ.

So, to be clear:

Option 1,3, and 5 all feature the colonel opening a letter. He must interpret the letter and then act. These are the most realistic and historically accurate options.

Option 2,4, and 6 all feature the colonel opening a "letter". After he opens the letter, it simulates that there were actual words in the letter, however it just updates ordered waypoints on his hud and map. It does the same for every other officer in the regiment.

If there were any viable relay options I missed, suggest them below.
    Last edited by Rithal; 03-01-2015 at 11:45 PM.

USA General of the Army

*Hold up 3 figures* Pick number 2 my lord

USA Major

I prefer the signal corps

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by [RG]Chewie View Post
    I prefer the signal corps
    Its an interesting idea, however as far as I know, there was no signal corps present during the Maryland Campaign. At least, not during any combat that is.
    Last edited by Rithal; 03-02-2015 at 03:12 AM.

USA Captain

Damn so my signal sargent is going to be more useless then what he already is now?

The signal corps was very much present at Antietam: http://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/historyculture/signal.htm

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Since we are talking about a huge battlefield there are many questions coming up, like how will the navigation on the map work (coordinates, marks on the map) just imagine you are the courier and you need to find a regiment miles away.."it might be somewhere between Sharpsburg and the Dunker Church" so here comes the status update of certain regiments into play. How will this be displayed ? i mean the moving, position and status of units.

So currently i voted for the AI doing this job.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The signal corps was very much present at Antietam: http://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/historyculture/signal.htm

- Trusty
    I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that they only took part in reporting Lee's movements after the battle. You learn something new every day

I choose player messengers over AI ones for a few reasons. One being, what if the AI messenger happened upon or was intercepted by the enemy? What if the route he were to travel on was subject to bombardment? What if something pegged the player's common sense that the AI wouldn't detect? There are numerous factors to think about. I chose 1 over 2 for realism reasons.
    Für das Vaterland.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Aniallator View Post
    I choose player messengers over AI ones for a few reasons. One being, what if the AI messenger happened upon or was intercepted by the enemy? What if the route he were to travel on was subject to bombardment? What if something pegged the player's common sense that the AI wouldn't detect? There are numerous factors to think about. I chose 1 over 2 for realism reasons.
    All good reasons and definitely something to think about.