View Poll Results: What order relay system would you like to see?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Player couriers running written orders from player officers.

44 45.83%
  • Player couriers running "letters" that, when opened update that units movement or attack orders.

19 19.79%
  • AI couriers running written orders from player officers

11 11.46%
  • AI couriers running "letters" that, when opened update that unit's movement or attack orders.

13 13.54%
  • Player officers write letters to specific unit officers that appear on screen after a delay.

4 4.17%
  • Player officers write "letters" to specific unit officers that updates his orders after a delay.

5 5.21%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Order relay preferences

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    Yes. I'm sure this fate fell upon several unfortunate runners in the war.
    So this is why I'd prefer riders to runner. I'd sooner have the orders moving quickly to allow the battle to move faster then the runner having to play catch up all the time.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    So this is why I'd prefer riders to runner. I'd sooner have the orders moving quickly to allow the battle to move faster then the runner having to play catch up all the time.
    Of course. Riders would be preferred.

CSA Captain

Greetings.

If the kriegspiel courier system used in Scourge of War/Histwar can be simulated - basically what you describe in options 3 & 4 - would make the dynamics very interesting.

There is no need for "writing" the messages. SoW writes them through order lists options and does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hethwill_Khan View Post
    Greetings.

If the kriegspiel courier system used in Scourge of War/Histwar can be simulated - basically what you describe in options 3 & 4 - would make the dynamics very interesting.

There is no need for "writing" the messages. SoW writes them through order lists options and does a great job.
    I believe player messages from player officers to a player courier would be better, reason being if you screw up and the orders are misunderstood (happened all the time) it your fault. I like that.

CSA Captain

The orders can be misunderstood especially by humans no matter the source. If it is a courier delivering them does it make a difference ? Message content was generated by some human commander... the bot is just the messenger and can be delayed and even intercepted. Kriegspiel rules are very specific on this. SoW doesn't use them that much, Histwar has them fully.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McClellan View Post
    I believe player messages from player officers to a player courier would be better, reason being if you screw up and the orders are misunderstood (happened all the time) it your fault. I like that.
    Sure thing, but you must also think about what happens if nobody wants to take this role and if the effort is worth the result. For me a system where a simple message would pop-up in the officers HUD with a delay considering the distance between HQ and his position would totally be fine, since implementing horses and coding an AI for the courier system is a huge project...of course it would be nice to have a human courier system and many many more features like that, but i think that those would consume too many resources for an unknown effect.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA General of the Army

Or you could join the Army of the Potomac where it will be somebody's job to be a courier like it or not xD. But like I said before there could be the option of AI couriers if nobody wants to fill the roll as a player

CSA Captain

Thats what i have said, but i am in heavy doubt that something like an AI based system will be implemented...

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Thats what i have said, but i am in heavy doubt that something like an AI based system will be implemented...
    Well it has been said there is to be no AI in this.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    But like I said before there could be the option of AI couriers if nobody wants to fill the roll as a player
    I know what they have said about the AI, thats why i have expressed my doubts about your statement here...........

- Iced Earth