Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Marching needs Improvement

  1. #1

    USA Major

    TacticalGaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    47

    Marching needs Improvement

    Sorry, I'm writing this from my phone. Anyways, the marching in this game can get ugly quick sometimes. I'm aware it's hard to solve from a developers stand point since there isn't much you can do about it. However, it would be nice to have some slight improvement to the game that allows us as players to organize and execute better marches. I don't really have any ideas on how it could be improved, so I'd just like to throw it out there that it needs improvement. However, thank you for working with the community and releasing frequent updates!
    Member of Timberwolf Brigade

  2. #2

    USA Brigadier General

    Johann GŁnderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Stillwater, Minnesota
    Posts
    168
    Drilling your troops more is the best way to improve marching.

  3. #3

    USA Captain

    FakeMessiah27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    356
    I'm still a firm believer in a soft lock system, where any soldier's speed is matched to the ones around him. I have no idea how easy or difficult this is to implement but it would go a long way towards making marching in proper formations doable.

    Drilling will help of course, but at the end of the day, it is nigh impossible to have 20 or more players all press their W key at the exact same time, even if everybody had 0 ping.

  4. #4
    I'd like to repeat my earlier suggestion about potentially having a third-person option, as that would definitely help out when forming up in formations and such. I know people have said that a potential third-person mode could be used for cheating, but I doubt this will actually be the case. We can also make it so that combat will have to happen through first-person only, but marching and such can happen in third person.

    I also support FakeMessiah's proposal about implementing a soft lock system. I think that sounds great.

  5. #5

    USA Major

    TacticalGaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    I'd like to repeat my earlier suggestion about potentially having a third-person option, as that would definitely help out when forming up in formations and such. I know people have said that a potential third-person mode could be used for cheating, but I doubt this will actually be the case. We can also make it so that combat will have to happen through first-person only, but marching and such can happen in third person.

    I also support FakeMessiah's proposal about implementing a soft lock system. I think that sounds great.
    I like the idea of third person, but it in some way or shape in form would have to be limited to only marching. It would alow us to be more aware of our footwork. I only agree with this because of my experience in Napoleonic War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johann G√ľnderson View Post
    Drilling your troops more is the best way to improve marching.
    I agree with you as well Johann, but to a certain extent we don't have much control. I do want us as players to have more control over the marching compared to some scripted marching system implemented into the game, but we also need a little bit of help.

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeMessiah27 View Post
    I'm still a firm believer in a soft lock system, where any soldier's speed is matched to the ones around him. I have no idea how easy or difficult this is to implement but it would go a long way towards making marching in proper formations doable.

    Drilling will help of course, but at the end of the day, it is nigh impossible to have 20 or more players all press their W key at the exact same time, even if everybody had 0 ping.
    This is by far, what I'm trying to explain and suggest here. Thank you.
    Last edited by Leifr; 05-01-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Triple post
    Member of Timberwolf Brigade

  6. #6

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeMessiah27 View Post
    I'm still a firm believer in a soft lock system, where any soldier's speed is matched to the ones around him. I have no idea how easy or difficult this is to implement but it would go a long way towards making marching in proper formations doable.

    Drilling will help of course, but at the end of the day, it is nigh impossible to have 20 or more players all press their W key at the exact same time, even if everybody had 0 ping.
    A system like red dead redemption would be the best option. I don't agree with third person at all though.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  7. #7
    Well, yeah the third person would have to be a bit limited. I think it'll help out when forming up and marching, and it's optional, so nobody's forcing you to use it.

    I think just modifying the current inspect mode a bit would do the task.

  8. #8
    Moderator

    USA Lieutenant General

    Kyle422's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    Well, yeah the third person would have to be a bit limited. I think it'll help out when forming up and marching, and it's optional, so nobody's forcing you to use it.

    I think just modifying the current inspect mode a bit would do the task.
    Third person is a NO NO the devs stated that many many times. We are lucky we have the option to press F4 I believe to see what we look like.

    - Kyle

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle422 View Post
    Third person is a NO NO the devs stated that many many times. We are lucky we have the option to press F4 I believe to see what we look like.

    - Kyle
    Well, I had a bit of hope

    As a person who loves third person, it's a shame to hear that the developers don't wish to implement this as I don't see why it would be a negative feature, seeing as it'll be completely optional. But afterall, it is their game, so we'll have to respect their choice. I assume they want to make it as realistic as possible, so first person is the best way in their minds. I believe that third person would be a very welcome feature for marching and such, and then we could have first person for combat.

    But that's my take on it, I'm sure others have other opinions regarding this.

    (And yeah, I'm very grateful that we have the F4-mode. It's something atleast.)

  10. #10

    USA Lieutenant General

    [WoR] Kiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    385
    I do like the idea of being able to use third person while marching and as soon as you come to a halt it takes you out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •