Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marching needs Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie125 View Post
    On the point of Third-Person, I really just think the F4 option should be tweaked so you can look around yourself faster. Maybe its just my setup but it takes forever to look around. If we won't get a real third-person mode, we should at least have the F4 option improved so we can get a better idea of our surroundings when lining up
    The inspection mode is for inspecting your character and only available in the drill camp. If you want to check your surroundings you should use the freelook (left alt key).

- Trusty

USA Captain

Well if that is the case, I feel my point still stands that it should be sped up so it doesn't take 15 seconds to look all around the player. I also still believe that it would be a good alternative to the Alt key that can be disorienting when in rank. I say disorienting but I think that may be from the motion blur so we'll see how it is after adjustments.

USA Captain

I mean if its just for Drill Camp it isnt exactly a priority once Skirmishes comes out soooo meh

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    That is why we're going to be supporting officer placed markers such as this:

- Trusty
    That's good enough for me. Looks really neat!
    Member of Timberwolf Brigade

USA Captain

I agree with Cpl. Ryan, I really like the looks of the order system

USA Captain

Oh, no soft lock system? Now what am I going to do with that #SoftLockForLife tattoo :s.

On a serious note though, a visual indication to any given soldier if he's in the right place or not would already go a long way to improving the marching.
    Perhaps it will still look a bit iffy when first stepping off, but unlike the current situation, it would probably improve the longer you march instead of deteriorate further, as people get the chance to adjust according to some sort of visual aid.

USA Brigadier General

Third person would be nice, however i don't need it, since the developers are going for historical accuracy it wouldn't make sense to see yourself and the whole idea of first person in the game is great, because woods and Cornfields are much harder to navigate and get lost in, while in third person you could see an enemy line pushing through and shoot them. but with good ole first person it's much more up close and personal

Now as for Marching, Johann said it perfectly, practice makes perfect and hopefully the boys in the community will one day find a way to effectively march, one thing i could say to help with marching is increase the range at which others can hear you. For instance in a seven man line, me at one end and the commanding officer on the other, i'd barely be able to make out what he was saying, well if he was talking this would probably be true, but when marching commanders usually shouted orders for the line to hear, or at the very least one of the Sergeants/Corporals to relay to orders

USA Captain

Keep it as it is, drill it into your men just like the NCO's and Officer's had to in history, it won't come over night but surely that makes it all the more rewarding

To anyone saying just drill into it:

One of the reasons behind dense formations was because you could actually feel the formation around you. That is one of the biggest resources in marching. Real life, they didn't have ping issues and they could also see and accurately hear. Real life, they had nothing to do with their time but drill and practice. None of these things can even be integrated into a game. "Just drill" is an incredibly poor thing to say.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Captain

Always thought a softlock or sticky of some sort was needed, but I understand the lag issues that maybe present. The tools being mentioned look okay but I still see the formations and lines are going to be a mess without something extra perhaps there is a compromise not realized yet. Third person maybe fun but not really wanted for this game. No amount of drilling in this game as it is now is going to make all look right and look good but all we can do is our best. Just think there needs to be something more than just lines on the ground but I do like it. I would not mind that line or other formation drawn on the ground to a player do a line/formation stick just for that moment they get there and then release. Just thoughts no big whoop.
    ... Just thoughts no big Whoop ...

Private. LoneMerc
    5th Alabama, Company A. (The Clark County Rifles)