Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Union woes

CSA Captain

Union woes

Since release, the Union has just been getting decimated, especially at Burnside bridge. The following is my experience from playing both sides, and may be a contributing factor to current Union woes.

1. The Confederates have much better organization. They have good Officers and teamwork oriented soldiers. The only thing they seem to be lacking is good NCO's, but that will come with time in my opinion.

2. The Union just seems to be generally and consistently disorganized every single round. The Officers are either just playing cause they like the pistol, or they are a 12 year old squeaker shouting orders in a child's voice, and consequently nobody listens.... I mean who could blame them.

3. Union doesn't seem to utilize their ticket amounts. They have the tickets, but I consistently see rounds ending in Confederate victories with the Union having 120+ tickets remaining. There is never any real massive organized effort to attack, reform, attack again, divide into company's of 7-8 men and make organized assaults. I mean look at Burnside bridge, it's a gaggle of union soldiers standing on one side just firing over the heads of the confederates at the other side of the bridge never really doing anything. They usually make a few charges, but never any follow up.

USA Captain

the issue with the bridge is that union leaders never want to charge. that along with no place to ford the river causes the entire match to be a shootout

USA Brigadier General

The one thing I will say about the union officers is that they wait way to damn long to march out from spawn. They are caring way to much about moving out in formation rather than getting to the objective then forming up.

USA General of the Army

I mean that's rather critical and short sighted of you to say. There are plenty example of organised union efforts to break through the Confeds to Burnside bridge. Myself, Captain Ross of Co. A, 95th New York and Captain Maximus of Co. A 52nd New York have all lead successful efforts to break through the Rebel lines.

As Mr. Smiley has pointed out the effort does not lie with he lack of organisation. The reb. position just over the bridge is nearly impossible to break through with without massive losses. After that it is very hard to hold the far side of the bridge with only 3-5 guys before the next rev spawn wave. Attack and attack as we might the attacks that do knock out the Rebs on the bridge are unable to take out the Rebs on the hills.

The Union were only able to take the Bridge with heavily casualties and twice the amount of men of the Rebs on the other side.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Slimbizza View Post
    The Confederates have much better organization. They have good Officers and teamwork oriented soldiers.
    Not from what I've seen so far. Both sides seem to be terribly disorganized with people running out of spawn one at a time.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by W1Z25 View Post
    the issue with the bridge is that union leaders never want to charge. that along with no place to ford the river causes the entire match to be a shootout
    Now you know why it took Burnside and his IX Corps the better part of 8 hours to take the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann Günderson View Post
    The one thing I will say about the union officers is that they wait way to damn long to march out from spawn. They are caring way to much about moving out in formation rather than getting to the objective then forming up.
    This is not actually a bad thing. In fact if they're trying to organize the units before leaving then I'd say they're doing a damned fine better job than you imagine they aren't.
    This entire game system is based on units organizations and cooperation, not a bunch of single individuals running off as soon as they spawn. Keep doing that and you guys will loose every time.

The key to playing and winning in this game is unit organization. Line infantry being in line.

CSA Captain

To be honest, I do not see CSA to be significantly better organised. Maybe a little bit, but not significantly.

Regarding the bridge: the terrain is strongly favourable to CSA. The CSA line can be formed 3 ranks deep behind the bridge without any threat and they welcome any US charge with volley and bayonets. On the other hand, the hill behind the bridge from CSA side provides clear view (while being partially concealed in woods) to the Union side of the bridge, where the US line stands. So, CSA piquets can snipe-shoot at US line to increase their attrition and soften the defence before the CSA charge. When CSA charges across the bridge, they usually find disordered line with casualties.

Anyway - the game is awesome

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    I mean that's rather critical and short sighted of you to say. There are plenty example of organised union efforts to break through the Confeds to Burnside bridge. Myself, Captain Ross of Co. A, 95th New York and Captain Maximus of Co. A 52nd New York have all lead successful efforts to break through the Rebel lines.

As Mr. Smiley has pointed out the effort does not lie with he lack of organisation. The reb. position just over the bridge is nearly impossible to break through with without massive losses. After that it is very hard to hold the far side of the bridge with only 3-5 guys before the next rev spawn wave. Attack and attack as we might the attacks that do knock out the Rebs on the bridge are unable to take out the Rebs on the hills.

The Union were only able to take the Bridge with heavily casualties and twice the amount of men of the Rebs on the other side.
    Once your able to spawn on the battleflags I think it would help the Union out alot.

The main problem right now is that you have to walk all the way from spawn, and by the time you get back to the bridge it's already taken back by the confederates.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Brigadier General

This is not actually a bad thing. In fact if they're trying to organize the units before leaving then I'd say they're doing a damned fine better job than you imagine they aren't.
    This entire game system is based on units organizations and cooperation, not a bunch of single individuals running off as soon as they spawn. Keep doing that and you guys will loose every time.

The key to playing and winning in this game is unit organization. Line infantry being in line.
    I'm well aware that it is paramount to the winnning side. What I mean is that they sit around for 2 minutes after the company is formed trying to god knows what. Many men leading on the union side have no experience running any line formations in the past which makes it very hard to work with.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Slimbizza View Post
    Since release, the Union has just been getting decimated, especially at Burnside bridge. The following is my experience from playing both sides, and may be a contributing factor to current Union woes.

1. The Confederates have much better organization. They have good Officers and teamwork oriented soldiers. The only thing they seem to be lacking is good NCO's, but that will come with time in my opinion.

2. The Union just seems to be generally and consistently disorganized every single round. The Officers are either just playing cause they like the pistol, or they are a 12 year old squeaker shouting orders in a child's voice, and consequently nobody listens.... I mean who could blame them.

3. Union doesn't seem to utilize their ticket amounts. They have the tickets, but I consistently see rounds ending in Confederate victories with the Union having 120+ tickets remaining. There is never any real massive organized effort to attack, reform, attack again, divide into company's of 7-8 men and make organized assaults. I mean look at Burnside bridge, it's a gaggle of union soldiers standing on one side just firing over the heads of the confederates at the other side of the bridge never really doing anything. They usually make a few charges, but never any follow up.
    1. Does it really matter who has better officers and ncos? it only takes one shot to kill them. It does seem like confederates know how to work together but there are some union companies and groups that know what they are doing.

2.I agree on the squeakers, the one time i joined the union side almost all the officers were 12 y/o squeakers trying to get people to follow them and most of them went officer class just for the pistol. But we confederates do have our share of 12 y/o officers, but we mainly ignore them.

3. The whole team is at fault there. They should work together more, I do see more rambo union players than Confeds, we like to work together to get the job done.

And like some said, Union officers wait too long to get a sizable group together and half the time people just leave to run to the front. I usually see confederates lining up together and moving out almost as a whole.
    Last edited by Saris; 05-21-2017 at 02:37 AM.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX