Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Union woes

USA Captain

And like some said, Union officers wait too long to get a sizable group together and half the time people just leave to run to the front
    I was playing an hour ago on burnside bridge and an officer at spawn was talking to around 20 people telling them a precise plan of what we are going to do for about 3 minutes.only I and 5 other people followed him. the rest Rambo'd into the field to the right of spawn. I have a suggestion for the union officers; make examples out of Rambos and shoot them on the spot or fire a warning shot lol
    "Better dead than reb"- Someone probably

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldestroyer View Post
    I was playing an hour ago on burnside bridge and an officer at spawn was talking to around 20 people telling them a precise plan of what we are going to do for about 3 minutes.only I and 5 other people followed him. the rest Rambo'd into the field to the right of spawn. I have a suggestion for the union officers; make examples out of Rambos and shoot them on the spot or fire a warning shot lol
    At this point we are all testing the game, and getting used to it. Its nice that some people try to organize efforts to form lines and build on the drill they have been doing over the last few months, but i don't think anyone is obligated to join the line. Its not a serious battle, but small and chaotic skirmishes. What gives anyone the right to just shoot someone just because he is trying things out. Lets take it slow guys...

Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

USA Captain

Just let people play how they want to play.
    On the note of "Union Bashing" that is trending here: it is a lot easier to get a bunch of "plebs" to hold a choke-point than to tell them to go suicide across a bridge for the greater good.

CSA Captain

hell thats what we do on the CSA, even the 1stTX officers would execute their own men if they do not have the right tags on
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Major

My company, consisting of three men in the skirmishes, has had several charges over burnside bridge make it to the embankment on the opposite side. However, the union soldiers are much more content to set back behind the wall and shoot than possibly get shot in the charge. Many times the bridge has been held by no more than five rebels. When the union finally gets the courage to attack in a group and not worry so much about how pretty of a ripple fire they can perform then they may begin winning some of the engagements.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    To be honest, I do not see CSA to be significantly better organised. Maybe a little bit, but not significantly.

Regarding the bridge: the terrain is strongly favourable to CSA. The CSA line can be formed 3 ranks deep behind the bridge without any threat and they welcome any US charge with volley and bayonets. On the other hand, the hill behind the bridge from CSA side provides clear view (while being partially concealed in woods) to the Union side of the bridge, where the US line stands. So, CSA piquets can snipe-shoot at US line to increase their attrition and soften the defence before the CSA charge. When CSA charges across the bridge, they usually find disordered line with casualties.

Anyway - the game is awesome
    Totally true.

CSA had real advantage defending bridge.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Scrouch View Post
    Totally true.

CSA had real advantage defending bridge.
    Mostly because they stay on the bridge.

Irl only a few skirmishers were even close to the bridge and a few were on the union side, but most men were on the heights above the bridge.

I'm curious to see how well the CSA can defend the bridge if they leave it open and sit in the heights like irl.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Mostly because they stay on the bridge.

Irl only a few skirmishers were even close to the bridge and a few were on the union side, but most men were on the heights above the bridge.

I'm curious to see how well the CSA can defend the bridge if they leave it open and sit in the heights like irl.
    Well IRL you had an entire corp assaulting the bridge as well

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    Well IRL you had an entire corp assaulting the bridge as well
    Yet around 300 men held them off for hours. Of course, they didn't assault all at once but still and incredible thing none the less.

Also, I'm trying to give the Union more of a chance by having csa stay on the heights like they did in real life.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Yet around 300 men held them off for hours. Of course, they didn't assault all at once but still and incredible thing none the less.

Also, I'm trying to give the Union more of a chance by having csa stay on the heights like they did in real life.
    I'd be interested to hear what you guys would think of us limiting the CSA playable area to the lower section of the heights and not cover the entirety of the bridge as it current does. It would surely force the majority to defend the heights instead of being kneeled down in the same spot at the bridge throughout an entire match.

- Trusty