Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Builds

CSA Lieutenant General

Saris,

Here is a link to the generic system that I've built mine, and both of my son's PC's from. The list changes a little over time, because I update it with newer pieces as I know new pieces go to market. I never really buy top of the line, but mostly items that have just been replaced on the market with the newer item. So I'm never paying top dollar for the most recent hardware. This is not quite the $3k set up that Kyle suggested, but it likely would be if I included a 4k monitor. As Oleander stated, the 1000W Power supply is a little overkill, but I do like to buy the platinum rated and I don't like putting the load on my system that causes it to be close maxing out the available power. I generally like to put a little extra $ into my power supply because I do tend to buy SLI capable hardware and thus I will not be approaching the max power even with the addition of a 2nd video card. You can sometimes get a "video upgrade" by buying a cheaper older match to your original and running SLI rather than buying the new video card releases. That can last you until you're comfortable buying into the new video card release. This is also contingent on whether you want a bluray drive and/or whether you want to buy a Microsoft license and install via bootable USB. The setup also does not take into account your other preferences for accessories, like keyboard/mouse combo's, etc.

pcpartpicker.com

I also normally use pcpartpicker to build the system and check compatibility and power requirements, but then normally replace the pricing with my local MicroCenter store prices, which gives me the comfort of driving and returning items rather than relying on the delay of shipping and the annoyance of damage in shipping. So the prices here may vary +/- $20.00 here and there.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-06-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Saris,

Here is a link to the generic system that I've built mine, and both of my son's PC's from. The list changes a little over time, because I update it with newer pieces as I know new pieces go to market. I never really buy top of the line, but mostly items that have just been replaced on the market with the newer item. So I'm never paying top dollar for the most recent hardware. This is not quite the $3k set up that Kyle suggested, but it likely would be if I included a 4k monitor. As Oleander stated, the 1000W Power supply is a little overkill, but I do like to buy the platinum rated and I don't like putting the load on my system that causes it to be close maxing out the available power. I generally like to put a little extra $ into my power supply because I do tend to buy SLI capable hardware and thus I will not be approaching the max power even with the addition of a 2nd video card. You can sometimes get a "video upgrade" by buying a cheaper older match to your original and running SLI rather than buying the new video card releases. That can last you until you're comfortable buying into the new video card release. This is also contingent on whether you want a bluray drive and/or whether you want to buy a Microsoft license and install via bootable USB. The setup also does not take into account your other preferences for accessories, like keyboard/mouse combo's, etc.

pcpartpicker.com

I also normally use pcpartpicker to build the system and check compatibility and power requirements, but then normally replace the pricing with my local MicroCenter store prices, which gives me the comfort of driving and returning items rather than relying on the delay of shipping and the annoyance of damage in shipping. So the prices here may vary +/- $20.00 here and there.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I opted on getting a cheaper build worth little more than $1000 that I would improve on later. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gpK9pb
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I opted on getting a cheaper build worth little more than $1000 that I would improve on later. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gpK9pb
    Looks like a good setup for the price. The motherboard had some nice reviews and you've matched it up with the right CPU. I, like someone else mentioned, have not had any experience with the AMD Ryzen CPU, but I used to build AMD boxes before I made the switch to intel, well before the pentium class was released. You seemed to hit the nail on the head with the RAM, I don't know much about the Zotac video cards but you got a serviceable chip set. With the case being a mid and your video card being a mini, I'd keep an eye on case and video card temperatures, and make sure the Cooler Master is keeping up. I see you invested in an SSD, but with 240gb, you might consider either a second SSD or a larger capacity HDD, that 240 is likely to fill up fast. Some people buy smaller SSDs to only install the OS, and then use another drive for data storage, especially things you may not access often, like photos, music, etc. SSD performance suffers as they get more full, but is a by product of how NAND flash memory operates. Sometimes people will combine that OS loaded SSD with a HDD data drive. You keep the performance of the OS boot and wake up from hibernation speed.

I hope you have a good experience with the Zotac, their reviews seem mixed, some good, some not so good. I wish you the best for being in the good category For a grand, looks like a nice setup though.

With the Zotac review, I'd pay extra special attention to my reference of temperatures. Oh, and though most Corsair cooling units I've used come with pre-applied thermal paste, I'm not sure of other vendors, so don't forget to check the Cooler Master for the paste if its not already pre-applied.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-06-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA General of the Army

The temps should be fine, but I might shop around for a better case. I'm fond of the corsairs, but its personal preference.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    The temps should be fine, but I might shop around for a better case. I'm fond of the corsairs, but its personal preference.
    Yea, after further review of the Zatoc mini 1070, it also seems to get pretty fine reviews for temp management. Temp could still become an issue pending whether Salis installed fans in the front where the case did not include those off-the-shelf, they do include rear and top though.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA General of the Army

Those cooler master fans on the heat sink move quite a bit of air from what I understand. But yes, it may need another exhaust fan on top. Definitely need some kind of monitor. Asus boards usually come with on board temp monitor software.

USA Captain

Hi all! I'm "building" a PC on CyberPowerPC and I wanted to run it by the experts. It's going to end up costing $1300, which my fiancee would be pretty mad about if she found out, but she wants a $5000 wedding, so I would call it fair. Anyways, I would like to cut about $100 to $200 from the total, so if there are any suggestions on what might be overkill, I would be very grateful! If there is anything that should be added, that would be great to know, too!

-Christie

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz [4.0GHz Turbo] Eight-Core 16MB L3 Cache 95W Processor
    CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC (White Color) 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
    Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 ATX w/ RGB, AC WiFi, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
    Video Card: GeForceŽ GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
    Gaming Chassis: Syber M ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, & Side-Panel Window
    CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K2 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Extra Case Fans: Default case fans
    Noise Reduction Technology: None
    Sli Bridge: None
    EVGA Power: None
    Video Capture Card: None
    Power Supply: 700 Watts - Enermax Revo DUO series 700Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient airflow w/ Dual Fans Power Supply
    M.2 SSD: None
    INTERNAL PCI-E SSD CARD: None
    Hard Drive: 250GB Crucial MX500 Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 560/510 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 95/90k (Single Drive)
    Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
    Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    WiFi Router: None
    Internal Wireless Network Card: None
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Mouse: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
    Internal USB Expansion Module: None
    External Wireless Network Card: None
    Wireless Routers/Hubs: None
    Bluetooth: None
    Power & Surge Protection: None
    USB Hub & Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

USA Captain

You could choose an R7 1700 and go for maybe a GTX 1070 instead of GTX 1060.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt-Frede View Post
    You could choose an R7 1700 and go for maybe a GTX 1070 instead of GTX 1060.
    Thanks! I ended up going with the R7 1800x, just because it was a free upgrade from the 1700, and the AMD Radeon RX 580 8gb. I would love to have gotten the GTX 1070 8gb, but it was $176 more than the 1060 6gb and the RX 580 8gb. Maybe it would have been worth the extra performance, but it seemed based on game-debate.com estimations that the RX 580 8gb will perform very well on WoR. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by US&CSAblood View Post
    Thanks! I ended up going with the R7 1800x, just because it was a free upgrade from the 1700, and the AMD Radeon RX 580 8gb. I would love to have gotten the GTX 1070 8gb, but it was $176 more than the 1060 6gb and the RX 580 8gb. Maybe it would have been worth the extra performance, but it seemed based on game-debate.com estimations that the RX 580 8gb will perform very well on WoR. We'll see!
    Keep V-Sync off, shading, shadows, resolution, and post processing are the settings that will actually make frame differences.