Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flags Serving a Purpose.

USA Brigadier General

Flags Serving a Purpose.

While we all know flags are cool to look at... sometimes, what value do they actually serve in a game like this... nothing. what i would like to propose is that a regimental flag boost stats of the men in the same unit as you as long as you are within a certain radius or something like that, sorta like in Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars. I would just like to see flags( and some variety with all the different units and what not) serve an actual purpose other than looking nice. I don't know if you think the same try and expand on the idea.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    While we all know flags are cool to look at... sometimes, what value do they actually serve in a game like this... nothing. what i would like to propose is that a regimental flag boost stats of the men in the same unit as you as long as you are within a certain radius or something like that, sorta like in Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars. I would just like to see flags( and some variety with all the different units and what not) serve an actual purpose other than looking nice. I don't know if you think the same try and expand on the idea.
    This has been discussed before, and many ideas have been thrown around. We as a community have discussed buffs given by flags, as well as flags acting as a possible respawn point.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Brigadier General

i wouldn't mind if flags could be used as a weapon, since the Pennant(or the sharp pointy end) could be used to stab people and it was.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    i wouldn't mind if flags could be used as a weapon, since the Pennant(or the sharp pointy end) could be used to stab people and it was.
    Possibly. Usually flag bearers didn't really "fight" per say. They were either captured or were running the other way, or died defending the flag of course. It was rare (from what I know) for prolonged melee engagements to occur, so within the first moments of a fight erupting, a flag is either captured or a retreat has already been called by one side. I suspect that many color guards were armed with some sort of weapon such as a sword or simply a bayonet. Others, especially those who picked up the flag from their fallen comrades were unarmed. These men might simply just surrender, run, or attempt to use the flag as some sort of weapon. This may be difficult however, because not all flags were pointed at the top. Many U.S flags had eagles, and it can be assumed that many Confederate flags had no fixing at the top. Anyone else have helpful thoughts on this?
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Archer's Brigade

USA General of the Army

It was only really know on the battlefields of Europe for there to be the odd story of one soldier killing the other using the regimental colours, but it was incredibly rare for example the loss of the King's or Queen's Colours in the UK could mean the loss of a full Battalion in dishonor! No colour guard could risk such a thing so many hopped it during melee or hung back.

USA 1st Lieutenant

My favourite story of a flag bearer was on the British retreat from Kabul. About 10ish men made a final stand against there pursuers and were overwhelmed.

To stop the Afghans from taking the flag, the flag bearer wrapped it around his body and threw himself down hoping that they wouldn't see him. The Afghans saw him and instead of killing him along with the other prisoners, they took him to ransom as they thought that he was a wealthy noble due to the fine waist coat he was wearing.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by BloodBeag View Post
    My favourite story of a flag bearer was on the British retreat from Kabul. About 10ish men made a final stand against there pursuers and were overwhelmed.

To stop the Afghans from taking the flag, the flag bearer wrapped it around his body and threw himself down hoping that they wouldn't see him. The Afghans saw him and instead of killing him along with the other prisoners, they took him to ransom as they thought that he was a wealthy noble due to the fine waist coat he was wearing.
    XD I got a kick out of that!

Archer's Brigade

USA General of the Army

Only the British would be that nuts to try and keep a hold of their colours

CSA Captain

Not really, a yankee unit at the battle of gettysburg once ripped their flag apart and hid it under their clothes to prevent if from being captured...battle honor
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Not really, a yankee unit at the battle of gettysburg once ripped their flag apart
    They ripped it apart.....if any Brit did that to save their colours they'd be shot on the spot.