Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reload times.

USA Major

From what I have read, the main reason an officer or no would be issued a revolver is to prevent their men from deserting. The officer's weapon was his command (all the way from a Lieutenant's section to a brigade, division, corps, or higher), and if an officer had to draw his weapon to defend himself, he was either not effective at his job, or in a very desperate situation.

I also saw mention of the 1st and 2nd USSS. From what I have read, officers in those regiments were not only issued rifles, but used them. Every man, from the teamsters to the surgeons to the privates on up to General Berdan himself was an expert marksman, and that coupled with the rebellious attitude the regiments and the rapid, severe attrition of the units blurring the lines between the enlisted, ncos, and officers meant that they all viewed themselves on equal footing and all fought as riflemen.
    Yes, I have souces. If you doubt, just ask. I won't be offended.

2nd Regiment United States Sharpshooters, D Company

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by HydricAcid View Post
    From what I have read, the main reason an officer or no would be issued a revolver is to prevent their men from deserting.
    ..You have been kicked from the server for excessive Teamkilling....

Damn, I wanted to shoot so many deserters.

Quote Originally Posted by HydricAcid View Post

I also saw mention of the 1st and 2nd USSS. From what I have read, officers in those regiments were not only issued rifles, but used them.
    I'd like to see this as an option, like picking a Revolver or a Rifle.

USA Major

It is a fun scenario to see at reenactments. My very first time on the field, my line (USS Tahoma Marine Guard at the time) was facing a North Carolina line really close. We're right up next to the spectators. I hear a loud "Where is you goin', boy!" And the NC Captain, a tall man with long hair, a big moustache, and an even bigger hat draws his revolver and gives this kid who had dropped his Enfield and run the shotgun barrel of his LeMat. It was quite the spectacle, and it was so hard not to laugh.
    Yes, I have souces. If you doubt, just ask. I won't be offended.

2nd Regiment United States Sharpshooters, D Company