Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Higher than Captain - Joined Companies - Battalions

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by zerosius View Post
    Same for us at the German Volunteers. I mean we would just play together anyway, but it would be cool if we could actually form a legion ingame.
    Indeed Language / timezones / and experiencing the game with companies(players) you enjoy.

CSA Captain

I would say keep it historically accurate, however just being in the same regiment in name doesn't automatically move you into a battalion. I would maybe have an invitation system where the Captain of each company can accept an invitation from the Major forming a battalion to join. The restriction would be that it must be the same regiment. So you would have to be in the same regiment to join, but being in the same regiment in name does not require you to join.

Does that make any sense?
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

That would work, but what about artillery batteries? Those should be able to join any regiment's battalion, as they are their own separate thing and will need infantry to work with. Same with cavalry, and other special units.
    Corporal John L.
    Color Guard
    38th North Carolina, Company K

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by 2010115 View Post
    That would work, but what about artillery batteries? Those should be able to join any regiment's battalion, as they are their own separate thing and will need infantry to work with. Same with cavalry, and other special units.
    Hmm not sure how to do that historically speaking.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    I would say keep it historically accurate, however just being in the same regiment in name doesn't automatically move you into a battalion. I would maybe have an invitation system where the Captain of each company can accept an invitation from the Major forming a battalion to join. The restriction would be that it must be the same regiment. So you would have to be in the same regiment to join, but being in the same regiment in name does not require you to join.

Does that make any sense?
    Well it all depends on the other people in that regiment. Let's say a part of the companies are friends among each other they will form up not want you in it , few companies you can not stand to play with, few companies form there own thing because they are German speaking companies. There you go not many choices to join something. Also those companies in the same regiment can form something that isn't 100% authentic. So where is that limit to stay historical authentic? What if a normal line company historical speaking would now become a skirmish / sharp-shoot company because the maker of that companies wishes so?

Seen companies that will work in little squads they say on there company page and basically make a sort of modern day structure for there companies(not a fan of such but it is there company can not stop that)

So I say at least hope to hear from the devs how they will deal with these sort of things. Either you go for the full 100% or you make it completely free up to the people. Being a game I would suggest the second.
    I am not sure every company that was in the light division will actually join the light division well there goes to historical authenticity to give another example. I think it will be to hard to manage.

Then indeed with Artillery and Cavalry in the future take that in account..

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Profender View Post
    Well it all depends on the other people in that regiment. Let's say a part of the companies are friends among each other they will form up not want you in it , few companies you can not stand to play with, few companies form there own thing because they are German speaking companies. There you go not many choices to join something. Also those companies in the same regiment can form something that isn't 100% authentic. So where is that limit to stay historical authentic? What if a normal line company historical speaking would now become a skirmish / sharp-shoot company because the maker of that companies wishes so?

Seen companies that will work in little squads they say on there company page and basically make a sort of modern day structure for there companies(not a fan of such but it is there company can not stop that)

So I say at least hope to hear from the devs how they will deal with these sort of things. Either you go for the full 100% or you make it completely free up to the people. Being a game I would suggest the second.
    I am not sure every company that was in the light division will actually join the light division well there goes to historical authenticity to give another example. I think it will be to hard to manage.

Then indeed with Artillery and Cavalry in the future take that in account..
    I'm not quite sure as to what you meant in the first paragraph, but as to sharpshooter/skirmish companies. There isn't really such a thing. A regiment would've broken off one of their own companies to deploy as skirmishers. Some regiments were designated as sharpshooters, but when you have the same equipment, it doesn't really matter. Either way, that point is irrelevant.

It may end up working like it did when we were all forming companies. First to a certain number wins the name. Either way, I hope the integrity of historical accuracy is not broken when it comes to forming a battalion. I wouldn't make sense to not allow units that weren't at Sharpsburg to be there, and then let any random company join a battalion. A battalion is always the same regiment. If that means if someone wants to join another battalion, making it easy to change their company from one to another just by renaming it or something could work.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    I'm not quite sure as to what you meant in the first paragraph, but as to sharpshooter/skirmish companies. There isn't really such a thing. A regiment would've broken off one of their own companies to deploy as skirmishers. Some regiments were designated as sharpshooters, but when you have the same equipment, it doesn't really matter. Either way, that point is irrelevant.
    Well your kind of pointing out what I meant. It wasn't really a thing but I see people starting a line company and promoting it as we will make a shock troop / skirmish / sharp shoot company out of it. People and luckily only a few are starting a company making it in something that is not historical authentic. thus how far the restrictions on that sort of freedom. Even if it does not make sense same weapon type and all its happening. Talking about pushing for historical accuracy can not even control how someone manages his company how you want push battalions. What if a company does not want to be attached to any regiment? Does that mean that company can not take part in the bigger battles thus forcing them.

Idea is very cool to keep it historical just pointing put the hurdles

USA General of the Army

Organizationally accurate and picking a specific Role to play is a different thing.
    As an example ... Cav had 3 different styles or purposes and irl one unit served all 3, as the Mission required.
    In-game it appears most Cav want to be 1880s+ Charge Cavalry ala Custer and John Wayne.
    This leaves the Recon and Mobile Infantry roles woefully under populated.
    Mobile Infantry being the least glorious yet most critical role IMHO
    In Our Brigade we have 3 Cav Troops and each plays a different style to allow a Trooper to choose their desired role.
    Will it work? who knows? We shall learn and see as we go and make the necessary adjustments.
    Point being ... Historically Accurate is greatly desired but not completely do-able in a game ...especially where the players have been schooled on modern military tactics.
    Example: As a Drill Sergeant the 1860 commands are a bit difficult for me to hit all of the time because modern commands are so ingrained.

I do have high hopes for the game and expect we have enough intelligent and dedicated players that we will find Balance.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Organizationally accurate and picking a specific Role to play is a different thing.
    As an example ... Cav had 3 different styles or purposes and irl one unit served all 3, as the Mission required.
    In-game it appears most Cav want to be 1880s+ Charge Cavalry ala Custer and John Wayne.
    This leaves the Recon and Mobile Infantry roles woefully under populated.
    Mobile Infantry being the least glorious yet most critical role IMHO
    In Our Brigade we have 3 Cav Troops and each plays a different style to allow a Trooper to choose their desired role.
    Will it work? who knows? We shall learn and see as we go and make the necessary adjustments.
    Point being ... Historically Accurate is greatly desired but not completely do-able in a game ...especially where the players have been schooled on modern military tactics.
    Example: As a Drill Sergeant the 1860 commands are a bit difficult for me to hit all of the time because modern commands are so ingrained.

I do have high hopes for the game and expect we have enough intelligent and dedicated players that we will find Balance.
    Indeed balance and also a part freedom it is a game after all

CSA Lieutenant General

I am just going to go ahead and state a fact in all of this.

A large number of members in the community (personally known 229+ Members of the Southern independent Brigade that is composed of 10 Infantry Companies, 3 Calvary Troops, and 3 Artillery Batteries all hailing from the states of Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, Virginia, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Maryland ) have either formed or joined there own Battalion, Brigade, Division etc that is not "Historically Accurate"..... To then make it to where these formed companies who have worked so hard already in building these units as well as forming bonds, and loyalties with their fellow soldiers, NCOs, and Officers must now be poised with the idea that all they have worked for to build, with the idea of working together with each other under one "banner" must now be threatened for the sake of "Historical Accuracy".

I will preach 'Historical Accuracy" all day long, but in this matter i think it should not be a thing... To do this would force people to join these "Historical Units" under who? Some keyboard combat killers who think since they read a book/manual, participated in a reenactment, (or my favorite) has lead a unit in Arma/Mount and Blade NW/ what ever other combat oriented game, or has pledged x amount of dollars to support the game, and now feel that they are entitled to command large bodies of men (sounds like every pompous senator/noble to hold a command position from the Napoleonic Wars and Civil War, thank god we did away with buying rank irl we all know how well that would turn out nowadays) but most likely has never had any real form of leadership experience at any level let alone a Brigade or god help us a Division (if there are any real players here that are, or at some point has been an actual Brigade or Battalion Commander in the Army or Marines this excludes you of course) so why force players into what could ultimately be a disaster waiting to happen. I mean just think of how low moral will be...

Regardless of all this I as always leave the decisions up to our hard working developers and hope them the best in finding the proper way of making it to were everybody can be happy, but we all know that even in a perfect world, that is impossible but they do a damn fine job of it anyway.

If any of my fellow CSA members feel offended I offer you satisfaction by either pistol or saber on the server of your choice..... If you are a yank just get over it.

Respectfully.

(See signature below)
    Pvt. Martin Brockenbrough's Battery A, I Corps

In honor of:
    Sgt. Benjamin J. Martin
    15th Alabama Infantry, Company E.
    Southern Cross of Honor Recipient

Personal Service Record
    U.S. ARMY SSGT. 11B20/2B/B4/5U
    6 Years Active Duty
    x2 Combat Deployments in OEF
    1-12 INF, 4th/2nd IBCT, 4ID