Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firing Range/Sighting Issues and Ideas

CSA Captain

Firing Range/Sighting Issues and Ideas

Below is the original post, from here on are results of testing 9 shot groupings at various distances with various ammunitions at the tents and recording drop, and spread, all shots are aimed at the center of the target which is the side of a tent! Feel free to do your own testing and let us know if we're on the money!

Hey guys, I recently got a computer worthy of playing the game and the first thing I did was go to the range to try and see how realistic the bullet drop and accuracy is with the various guns and how the rifle sightings work. I found that most engagements in the skirmishes mode are well under 100 yards, which is the basic sighting for all of the rifles, but I figured why not try and gauge the holdover for distances beyond that, or when I should raise the sights to compensate the elevation. The way I figure it, realistically the worst range we would probably be firing at each-other at would be about 200 yards in which case one should not be surprised to miss, but I wanted to make sure I will have a decent idea of the holdover required.

So, back to the range. I found out by standing at the fence on the CSA Drill Camp that when I fired at the top of the furthest group of white targets with various rifles at a 100 yard sighting, the bullet would drop to about the center of the target. Thus since the rifle was sighted for 100 yards and the bullet dropped the target would be approximately just over 100 yards. I backed up to about 150 yards and fired ~20 shots in groups of three aiming right on the top of the target, and increasing about half a target length above each set of three shots. My tests ended with zero hits, I thought that was quite odd as I fired enough lead in the vicinity of that target to do plenty of damage.

So the next part of my test I decided that there must be some limit on where the target animation pops up in relation to the fence. So to test this I shot at the closest targets which at the range I was firing at I figured would be about 100 yards so I fired multiple times at a range I knew I should be hitting at and nothing happened again. So unless my tests were ridiculously flawed through personal error, I think I proved my hypothesis (at least to myself).

Unless a developer can disprove this evidence I will be glad to accept that I'm a poor shot, but if not I suggest extending the range of the animation and possibly when going into the tactical view to see how far the targets are away from the player so that we can learn how far to elevate our aim. If anyone has any ideas or has tested this themselves please feel free to share and thoughts, results, or ideas on how to improve the range!

P.S. I have since been informed that the actual range may not be working properly thus possibly rendering some of my tests above invalid, and so me and some friends are conducting tests on the fences, which show bullet hits and the results of which can be found below.
    Last edited by William F. Randolph; 06-17-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    50th Georgia Co. C "Coffee County Guards"
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

CSA Lieutenant General

William,

Results of our shooting test tonight.

Shooting locations (50 yards paced from tent pictured below
    20170616225117_1.jpg

shooting at this tent:
    20170616230340_1.jpg

Charted results Whitworth from 50yds using 100yd sight, aiming center mass (William F. Randolph):
    20170616_230524.jpg

Charted results Whitworth from 50yds using 100yd sight, aiming center mass (dmurray6):
    whitworth50ydkramer.jpg
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-18-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Hey there Mr. Randolph,

I can personally assure you that proper ballistics for each weapon, including revolvers, rifles, smoothbores, and even cannon have all had their ballistics painstakingly researched and implemented (or will be implemented in the latter case). So the question that remains is what weapon you were using. For instance, with the smoothbore 42 Springfield, you definitely would have had trouble hitting the target past 100 yards. In the case of any other rifle available, you might just be a bad shot just yet.

CSA Captain

I agree entirely, I believe it was a pattern enfield 1853 for most, but I am literally at the moment posting some of my own shot groupings with Mr. Dmurray here, so I dont know if I am that bad of a shot if you refer to the shot grouping above

PS my main issue is that I wouldn't mind seeing a target distance when going into tactical view so we can gauge how far away we should holdover for when in linebattles the situation arises!

PSS Ill be conducting my own research extensively on this thread with alot of rifles over the coming weeks, I'm a gun nut trial and error!
    Last edited by William F. Randolph; 06-17-2017 at 03:43 AM.
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

CSA Lieutenant General

Enfield, 50 paces from target, 100yd sight.
    enfield50yd.jpg

Enfield, 100 paces from target, 100yd sight.
    enfield.jpg
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-17-2017 at 04:42 AM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

Next test is the smoothbore 1842, were having trouble even hitting the target consistantly at 50 paces (damn smoothbores) so we're going to shorten the ranges and test with both round ball and buck and ball
    1st Lt. Soldier

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Randolph View Post
    Next test is the smoothbore 1842, were having trouble even hitting the target consistantly at 50 paces (damn smoothbores) so we're going to shorten the ranges and test with both round ball and buck and ball
    1842 Springfield using roundball with 20yd target distance.
    1842round.jpg

1842 Springfield using buck and ball with 20yd target distance.
    1842buckandball.jpg

1842 Springfield using roundball with 40yd target distance.
    1842roundball40yd.jpg
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-17-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA 1st Lieutenant

I don't have anything to add here, but I really like how you guys are going in and testing the weapons. Good stuff!

Best,
    Dman979

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Randolph View Post
    That's odd, I've been smacking centre at up to 80-100 yards with the '42.

CSA Captain

I've heard rumors that the actual range shows only where you aim and shoot, not the actual flight path of the shot, whereas shooting the tents shows the true flight path of the shots, try it yourself! Hence why we conducted these tests on the tents, and you can see the results of which above at extremely short distances.
    Last edited by William F. Randolph; 06-17-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    1st Lt. Soldier