Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artillery noises tweak

CSA Captain

Artillery noises tweak

Arty already sounds pretty good, however may I suggest some new sound effects to make it a bit more realistic? Here is an old video of what its like to be downrage of live arty fire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

I know its low quality but I hope it helps. Keep up the good work.

CSA Major

They are partially using stock sounds, as far as I can tell. At least before one of the more recent updates all the arty explosion sounds could be found in e.g. Verdun aswell. But since they replaced a number of them the rest will propably get their fair share of work get done on them aswell.

Here's what real cannister sounds like.

https://youtu.be/k86XhYS8GJI

CSA Lieutenant General

Lt. Rose,
    We touched base on some of the artillery sounds in the poll thread "currently too much arty". Were also some links to youtube videos that most artillery interested people have seen before. Getting get a chance to check out your links, about to head into work.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    Here's what real cannister sounds like.

https://youtu.be/k86XhYS8GJI
    Don't try to compare videos with real sounds. The sound you hear in that video is not the same, as in real life. The quality of the camera is bad as you can see, so is the microphone.
    Same for reenactment videos.. the sound (the musket fire for example) in such videos is bad and can't represent the real sounds, which you record with professional recording equipment

Thats why we are using professional audio equipment, to record things like that

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Don't try to compare videos with real sounds. The sound you hear in that video is not the same, as in real life. The quality of the camera is bad as you can see, so is the microphone.
    Same for reenactment videos.. the sound (the musket fire for example) in such videos is bad and can't represent the real sounds, which you record with professional recording equipment

Thats why we are using professional audio equipment, to record things like that
    Agreed. The video I was referring to with the live civil war fire, I wasn't suggesting that the sound quality is what we were looking for, I was referring to the unique sound itself, of say a ball flying past, or a ball approaching, before it hit something. I would certainly agree with your assessment concerning sound quality and equipment, no doubt.
    Civil War Ancestors:

WoR-Dev
    Hey people! Audio Lead checking in! Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback and references, we really appreciate it!

@MrMundy, I would just like to clarify that at no point have we been using stock sounds. All of the sounds you can hear in the game currently are either recorded by myself or are from professional and private sources, but that doesn't mean to say that we don't have room for improvement. I take a lot of inspiration from other great games, and after reviewing our Arty impact sounds I felt it would be a good move to choose something with a lot more bass! . We will continue to update and improve other sounds in the near future.

@Johnny, Just to echo Hinkel, it's a common misconception that the sounds of videos on YouTube are accurate representations of real-life. When it comes to guns and explosions (or anything really loud) consumer microphones have a hard time capturing an accurate sound. This is why we use professional gear.

@OP, Great reference! I've heard this one before and we ended up deciding to go with a sound that was a little more over-the-top. There's a possibility that we may tweak and choose something a little more realistic, but that is primarily based on player feedback!

Once again thanks for taking the time to join in the discussion guys!

Tom

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Regarding the canister video ... a lot of what you're hearing, that sharp high pitched PING type noise, is the brass barrel returning to rest on the elevating screw head from the recoil. It is not the charge of canister being released from the barrel.

Watch the barrel over the elevating screw, on recoil the breech jumps about 6 inches or so in the air, the muzzle rocks toward the ground, all pivoting on the trunnions.

Since they are using real rounds and real charges, the recoil and movement animation of the guns, (tube & carriage, in both videos) should, in time be recreated when artillery gets implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Regarding the canister video ... a lot of what you're hearing, that sharp high pitched PING type noise, is the brass barrel returning to rest on the elevating screw head from the recoil. It is not the charge of canister being released from the barrel.

Watch the barrel over the elevating screw, on recoil the breech jumps about 6 inches or so in the air, the muzzle rocks toward the ground, all pivoting on the trunnions.

Since they are using real rounds and real charges, the recoil and movement animation of the guns, (tube & carriage, in both videos) should, in time be recreated when artillery gets implemented.
    That would be great!

CSA Captain

I love the new artillery noises! the new update has tweaked arty noises and its AWESOME! Stellar work WOR!