Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Commands

Working on "Present Arms" atm

This is the reference I am using.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFMzZ-mczE
    in around 6:20

Interested to know if you experts agree?

USA Captain

The dream.

Present—ARMS.
    One time and two motions.
    150. (First motion.) With the right hand, bring the piece erect before the centre of the body, the rammer to the front; at the same time seize the piece with the left hand half-way between the guide sight and lower band, the thumb extended along the barrel and against the stock, the forearm horizontal and resting against the body, the hand as high as the elbow.

tyvm Capt. : )
    Last edited by Major Animator; 12-12-2018 at 11:25 AM.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Major Animator View Post
    Working on "Present Arms" atm
    Just do it exactly as the book tell you is should be done.
    unlike the guy in the movie who missed this part "the thumb extended along the barrel and against the stock"

But it is better than a lot of similar clips I seen. Many got this idea that the upper band must be at the height of your eyes. But that is just an reenactorism. holding the left the forearm horizontal and resting against the body is the correct way to do it.

Any news on fixing the animations used during the loading of the musket?
    Currently we charge the entire cartridge something that is both wrong and would likely result in the gun not firing...
    and the way the ramrod is handled is pretty fare from how it should be done.

Oh, and if you are tired of having to look things up in the complete book, I suggest using this booklet:
    http://musket.dk/wp-content/uploads/...al-of-arms.pdf

It all so have period illustrations, but taken from different drill books. (where the text is the same)
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Tak Sergeant : )

useful the pdf, can see in the picture, the position of the thumb.
    Always very useful to have a picture or film to show precisely the position.

I haven't worked on the reload animation in some time.
    But the top of the cartridge in the animation, is being torn and spit out while the rest of the cartridge is being rammed down the barrel.
    The gun powder should be poured down the barrel before the ramming of the paper and bullet down the barrel, as I understand?

USA Sergeant

"166. Empty the powder into the barrel : disengage the ball from the paper with the right hand and
    the thumb and first two fingers of the left insert it into the bore, the pointed end uppermost, and press it down with the right
    thumb"

You do not ram the paper down the barrel.
    The bullet is sized to be rammed without paper and the groves in the bullet hold the needed grease.*

Note the text was originally written for use with the Mississippi rifle and it should also be correct with other rifle muskets.
    (the PDF I linked to is based on Casey, but the relevant language is the same as Hardee's 1855 drill book)

But Iam not sure about the M1842... and its buck shots.

It will try to explain the issue with the ramrod in another post.

* The british used a different bullet with the enfield that was rammed with the paper. And it was the paper that held the grease.
    But the US/CS did not use this type in 1862.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Tyvm for reply and very interesting.

I was interested that the paper was greased and rammed with the bullet on the Enfield.
    But could it be that the type of grease cartridge was used on a smooth bore and not on a rifled Enfield 1853?
    That could be the difference in when they rammed the paper catridge in the gun or they rammed only the bullet, if it was a smooth or a rifled bore?

We have ingame, several types of bullets and front loader guns with rifled and a smooth bore.
    Ingame the difference in shots, from these different type of ammunition and bore, are implemented,
    atm we use same reload animation.

The Development team is interested in the highest accuracy of all elements in the game,
    so I imagine that I will get instructions on animating these different type of reloads.
    Last edited by Major Animator; 12-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Major Animator View Post
    a smooth bore Enfield 1841
    I don't know what type of firearm you mean?
    ---

But yes, I do believe that the "Springfield M1842" was loaded with the paper.

If we look at the two manuals of arms that was in use by both sides in September 1862.

Manual of arms for Rifles: (as found in Hardee's 1855 book and in US infantry tactics 1861)
    4. Charge CARTRIDGE.
    One time and one motion.
    159. Empty the powder into the barrel: disengage the ball
    from the paper
    with the right hand and the thumb and first two
    fingers of the left ; insert it into the bore, the pointed end
    uppermost, and press it down with the right thumb ; seize the head
    of the rammer with the thumb and fore-finger of the right hand, the
    other fingers closed, the elbows near the body.

Manual of arms for muskets. (As found in the US Infantry tactics 1861 and Gilhams drill book)
    4. Charge CARTRIDGE.
    One time and one motion.
    444. Turn the back of the right hand towards the body, in order to discharge the powder into the barrel,
    raise the elbow as high as the wrist, shake the cartridge and insert it fully into the muzzle ; leave the hand reversed, the fingers closed, but the hand extended.

So look like the current animation of the cartridge being rammed is not correct for all the rifled arms but is correct for the M1842.

There are a number of differences between the two manual of arms.
    That Shoulder arms is done in the left hand... is the most obvious... Hope that you some day can add the manual of arms for muskets.
    And after that have been done, adding Hardee's revised manual of arms (CSA) and Chandlers (Wisconsin) is easy since they are both a mix of the two.

*The CSA did import some british made cartridges later in the war, and had to teach the men who got them to do this...

Great information. Thx

I will use this when I refine our reload animations.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    I don't know what type of firearm you mean?...
    Read about a pattern 1841 smooth bore, thought it was an Enfield, my bad
    Last edited by Major Animator; 12-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Generally, the paper was used on 1842 Smoothbore as wadding to pack over the ball to keep it from rolling out of the barrel during handling between shots, as well as initial restraint from the load becoming unpacked after ramming it home.

The wadding isn't needed near as much with the rifles.
    However, ramming the paper will save a lot of trash lying on the field as the paper is consumed in the ignition ofthe powder.

In the video located in another part of these forums show, the shooter continues to force the paper down all the barrels of the guns he shoots.