Thread: Flag bearers

USA Major

Flag bearers

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I'd like to voice my opinion on it.

The flag bearers were vital during the civil war, not only as a moral signature but also as a way to inform the men of a particular unit of where they need to be and where the unit leader was.

I love the fact that the flag bearer was implemented in the game but I feel a lack of unimportance and ability for it makes it so pointless. My suggestions and thoughts for it are to add a melee ability to it and possibly a chant feature. Really anything that will add a sense of purpose to the players that play it.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up before but I'd like to voice my opinion on it.

The flag bearers were vital during the civil war, not only as a moral signature but also as a way to inform the men of a particular unit of where they need to be and where the unit leader was.

I love the fact that the flag bearer was implemented in the game but I feel a lack of unimportance and ability for it makes it so pointless. My suggestions and thoughts for it are to add a melee ability to it and possibly a chant feature. Really anything that will add a sense of purpose to the players that play it.
    The developers are planning on using flag bearers as a company's spawn point with the ability to spawn anywhere the flag is. Also the devs stated that the flag bearers will not carry weapons. When this feature is out, if you take out another company's flag bearer, they have to spawn at their base. I do like your idea of taunting for the flag bearer.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Captain

You can bet on that flagbearer's and officers and going to be the target, everyone is aming at . . . As "realisme" is used frequently around this game, as an argument for not implemeting obvious realistic things, i like to ask a question.
    If you where a flagbearer in the civil war, wut you go unarmed into battel. Not having atleast a pistol . . . ? Just asking a realistic question ;o)
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 07-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    If you where a flagbearer in the civil war, wut you go unarmed into battel. Not having atleast a pistol . . . ? Just asking a realistic question ;o)
    Thats why you had a color guard around you
    Back in these days, they were proud to be a favorite target.

USA Sergeant

You can bet on that flagbearer's and officers and going to be the target, everyone is aming at . . . As "realisme" is used frequently around this game, as an argument for not implemeting obvious realistic things, i like to ask a question.
    You had 7-8 corporals around your that was tasked with defending you (or the colors...)
    Also the size of the flag means that your have plenty to do with managing the flag. And since your are the "guide" of the regiment, you need to be ready to move when the commander order you to.

By late war I have seen a few examples of colorguards that had gotten their hands on Henry repeaters.(in units that use rifle muskets)
    And I remember reading about one case where two of the guards had revolvers.
    But even in the mentioned cases of much improved firepower, it is the guards who got the firearms. Not the men carrying the colors.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Thats why you had a color guard around you
    Back in these days, they were proud to be a favorite target.
    It is funny you mention that, I am actually the Color Guard Commander for my NROTC Unit. I guess that is where my love and appreciation for the flag bearer comes from XD.

I still wish that the flag bearers had the ability to fight somehow as they did in the real war. it would make playing them a bit more realistic especially during chargers and all that.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    ... i like to ask a question.
    Greetings Sir!

If you were a flag bearer during the American Civil War your task was to keep the banner(s) of your regiment held high and visible for all to see. Now consider some information regarding the equipment of that task.

When the Army of Northern Virginia finally decided on a standard flag it was regulation sized at 5 feet square (1524mm square), it was affixed to a pole 1 1/2 inches (38.1mm) in diameter x 10 foot (3048mm) long. The Union standard flags (both federal and state,) were by regulation 6 foot x 6.5 foot (1828.8mm x 1981.2mm) similarly affixed to an equal pole.

That's a lot of cloth and a lot of pole, it required the flag bearer to have to use both hands at all times as well as a shoulder harness with a cup for the base of the pole to carry this flag according to regulations. Wind reactions to this made it a major undertaking to keep these banners held high.

Do not let yourself be fooled by artistic renderings of men holding a banner being blown about by the wind with one hand and fending off an opponent with any kind of weapon in his free hand, that just more often than not didn't happen, and as my friend Mr. Aagaard stated, the Color Guard Squad was there for your protection.

And yes, as suicidal as it sounds, especially in light of Mr. Hinkel's comments about being favorite targets, every man would have considered it an honor to carry the flag of their unit despite being unarmed.

CSA Captain

The ability to taunt would be a nice and cool feature to the game!
    Last edited by Hienzman; 07-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    The developers are planning on using flag bearers as a company's spawn point with the ability to spawn anywhere the flag is. Also the devs stated that the flag bearers will not carry weapons. When this feature is out, if you take out another company's flag bearer, they have to spawn at their base. I do like your idea of taunting for the flag bearer.
    that is a great idea.. will make it super important.... I know playing Verdun, the spawn is a must.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.