Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artillery

USA Captain

Artillery

It would be cool to see player operated artillery. I noticed there were a few companies that portrayed Artillery units and I also made my company the 1st Ohio light Artillery Battery H and it would be a shame if we could not properly represent our units. I feel it would also bring a lot of diversity and realism as well as accuracy to the battlefield. I would also Like to see player built fortifications. Things like embrasures, trenches, sandbag walls and anything else that would have been used in battle during the Civil War.

Again, a planned feature, though entrenchments arent going to be added.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

This is very exciting...lol im not very thrilled about the constant AI/auto generated barrage lol

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    This is very exciting...lol im not very thrilled about the constant AI/auto generated barrage lol
    Its the best way to simulate the deep battle atmosphere right now.

Since the skirmish areas are pretty small (All based on one huge map, fighting going around on the entire map), with 32 vs. 32 players, it wouldn't be that epic. 12 guys of your team would be needed to operate the artillery, while the other 20's are using infantry.
    Thats why playable artillery is not a huge priority at the moment, until we extend the player sizes.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Understood

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Its the best way to simulate the deep battle atmosphere right now.

Since the skirmish areas are pretty small (All based on one huge map, fighting going around on the entire map), with 32 vs. 32 players, it wouldn't be that epic. 12 guys of your team would be needed to operate the artillery, while the other 20's are using infantry.
    Thats why playable artillery is not a huge priority at the moment, until we extend the player sizes.
    It's interesting you mention this Hinkel, as just yesterday I was reading Gilham's Manual for Volunteers And Militia (as it was the preferred manual for the troops and timeframe of the geographical region that interests me most). Gilham mentions that "The strength of the other arms is always based upon that of the infantry, which long experience has shown should be about four-fifths of the entire force.". With that in mind, if we had only infantry and cavalry on each side of a 32 vs. 32 skirmish, we'd have 25.6 infantry and 6.4 cavalry per side. Now, one must ask themselves, how much good would a cavalry of size 6.4 men do against infantry that contained 25.6 men. I believe the answer would be, "the cavalry would likely be disintegrated". Granted this does not take into account operationally, when and how cavalry would be used. I think its easy to see, that if we were forced to break these 32 men teams between the various arms of a regiment, we would find that we'd have very little infantry, at which point there would be no one for the other arms to support, which was their main role.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    It's interesting you mention this Hinkel, as just yesterday I was reading Gilham's Manual for Volunteers And Militia (as it was the preferred manual for the troops and timeframe of the geographical region that interests me most). Gilham mentions that "The strength of the other arms is always based upon that of the infantry, which long experience has shown should be about four-fifths of the entire force.". With that in mind, if we had only infantry and cavalry on each side of a 32 vs. 32 skirmish, we'd have 25.6 infantry and 6.4 cavalry per side. Now, one must ask themselves, how much good would a cavalry of size 6.4 men do against infantry that contained 25.6 men. I believe the answer would be, "the cavalry would likely be disintegrated". Granted this does not take into account operationally, when and how cavalry would be used. I think its easy to see, that if we were forced to break these 32 men teams between the various arms of a regiment, we would find that we'd have very little infantry, at which point there would be no one for the other arms to support, which was their main role.
    now that puts things in perspective.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

USA General of the Army

The Already Planned future increase of Server Caps will allow for a workable size of Cav and Arty, methinks.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    The Already Planned future increase of Server Caps will allow for a workable size of Cav and Arty, methinks.
    sounds right, 32v32 is just right for the amount of people that play right now
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Captain

I'm really interested to see how this game will look in six months.
    Captain Adam G. Malloy, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company A