Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Artillery

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Just 4?!!?
    I would start with four, but it's already complicated enough determining locations to have them spawn at to where a decent amount of people can be satisfied by it but not have them be in the same position and restrict what a commander can do. If you want the batteries to be mobile and be historic, artillery will take up too many people on the servers.

Each battery had 4-6 (Mixing CSA and US batteries, CSA had smaller batteries) guns
    Each gun would probably have, in game not historically, 4 people. One battery is already taking up 24 or 16 people, and that would add up quickly with batteries.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-23-2018 at 11:03 PM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I would start with four, but it's already complicated enough determining locations to have them spawn at to where a decent amount of people can be satisfied by it but not have them be in the same position and restrict what a commander can do. If you want the batteries to be mobile and be historic, artillery will take up too many people on the servers.

Each battery had 4-6 (Mixing CSA and US batteries, CSA had smaller batteries) guns
    Each gun would probably have, in game not historically, 4 people. One battery is already taking up 24 or 16 people, and that would add up quickly with batteries.
    Its not going to be horse drawn ... To complicated, but its a nice thought. I dont even think, it will be posible to pull/move it with a certain amount of men.
    Maybe only 1 soldier per cannon and only up to 3 cannons a side ... If loading requires getting the ball/powder and loading, then the time used will just about be equal to the irl time to load with a full crew.
    If cav is comming in the game, then maybe about 5 max each side. To suit the game scale of the server/player numbers.
    We will see in time ...
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 01-23-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    Its not going to be horse drawn ... To complicated, but its a nice thought. I dont even think, it will be posible to pull/move it with a certain amount of men.
    Maybe only 1 soldier per cannon and only up to 3 cannons a side ... If loading requires getting the ball/powder and loading, then the time used will just about be equal to the irl time to load with a full crew.
    If cav is comming in the game, then maybe about 5 max each side. To suit the game scale of the server/player numbers.
    We will see in time ...
    I would be very surprised if the developers went with the traditional "one guy does everything on the cannon with a cool down" approach to artillery considering how much effort they are putting into this game. I am all for having a crew of 3-4 guys (3 is the minimum for being as historic but conservative with players) as it would make the experience a lot more fun and immersive instead of just having a guy doing everything with a cool down or like Holdfast where a guy just walks a cannon ball over, loads it in and 'pushes' the cannon. If they push the servers to 200 players right now, I think that each side having about 10 on average, 16 at max dedicated to artillery is appropiate.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-23-2018 at 11:47 PM.

CSA Captain

What was the ratio of cannons per infantrymen in Antietam?

If the game is about to feel proper, the ratio should be close to reality. And I doubt the ratio was higher than 0,1 cannon in the current full server... another reason for not introducing arty anytime soon.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    What was the ratio of cannons per infantrymen in Antietam? ....
    The standard was 2.5 -3 guns per 1000 infantry.

However, the CSA was something on the order of 4 to 1000 infantry. (Maybe more.)

(I'm going by memory here, I'll have to reread my library to clarify, will edit later.)

USA Captain

Even with one man on each gun you still need an atillery officer, with a spyglass to see the impact, and direct the fire.

And Hold Fast is not to compare with WoR ... HF is very funny to play and entertaining, with its cartoon look, but its not WoR when it comes to seriousity or grafics.
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 01-24-2018 at 02:15 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    The standard was 2.5 -3 guns per 1000 infantry.

However, the CSA was something on the order of 4 to 1000 infantry. (Maybe more.)

(I'm going by memory here, I'll have to reread my library to clarify, will edit later.)
    Thank you for the quick reply. It seems, that I have underestimated the number of cannons a bit. The proper ratio from 1000:4 to the current full server is 75:0,3

Anyway 0,3 is round down to 0... the smallest number of players per side to allow singly cannon (only) should be 125 (preferably 200+)...

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Again by memory, (haven't time to check library, I'm at work, ) but the Union had something on the order of 390 artillery at Antietam, and the Confederacy had 420. Again I will correct the numbers later.