Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Artillery

CSA Captain

I am also sceptical in regards of manned artillery. I cannot even imagine how to implement it to keep realism and do not lose fun - the real effect of artillery to barely hit distant close order unit (i.e. to encourage players to disperse and do not use a formation not to be a target) by shell and on the other hand canister tens of players by one round when close enough... Not to mention, that the effect of artillery was more about morale - one good canister shot routing a whole unit.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Scottvdken View Post
    Holdfast (and other MP games) have player controlled arty, and tbh they can't hit the broadside of a barn. Just takes players away from the fight. Leave the artillery operations to the AI.
    As far as Holdfast is concerned then I can attest that your statement is most untrue. In most line battle events on private servers they disable artillery, however, I have been in a few line battle events when artillery has not been disabled, I've seen entire lines wiped out with a single shot, when used properly, it's devastating. That really, is the whole argument against player run artillery. In reality there would be a vast amount of infantry in relation to artillery, and they would have the ability to sustain the amount of casualties caused by enemy guns.....in a game you will not have that.

I've thought long and hard about this, I think that the only viable role for artillery in WoR would be as Infantry support. Find a way to simulate enemy casualties from artillery fire without actually killing players, and turn this into advantages for the friendly infantry say........as buffs for morale, or by lowering the amount of friendly troops needed to capture a victory point location, things like that. Make it so that cannons can only be destroyed by counter battery fire, but leave it so gunners are vulnerable to enemy Infantry fire AND artillery fire.
    Last edited by Sox; 01-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

USA Captain

I hope that the artillery can arrange some simple works, as the function menu of the engineers can be added.

USA Captain

The gun flashed on the map, perhaps someone noticed it.
    This is a small problem.
    We hope to update the artillery in the future and join the operation of the artillery and protect the artillery in a reasonable proportion. Yet they are a whole. A gun requires six to seven people, so three or four types of engineers are expected to operate the artillery.
    The specific hope is to refer to the actual combat situation in the Maryland campaign.

USA Captain

I believe the devs can balance it out, with restrictions, player count to run arty pieces and time needed between loading.

USA Captain

Atillery ...

Atillery shut Work as it did ... In the right hands its deadly.

Have anyone considert that the game right now is pure Inf. Thats making people play in a certain style. If you add arty and cav, the play style will change.
    Inf officers have to consider to make thier movement diffrent, they also have to order a Group of Inf to take out the arty. Therefor atillery needs protection, thats where cav comes in.
    Using cav as a direct attack on Inf formations is certain dead ... But as protection on flanks its a great dangerous force. Routing the ranks when they have been redused.

If the cav is not implemented, then the "General" still needs to protect his arty, by setting of some Inf on the flanks of the arty, to protect it.

Arty shut be operated by players, defently it will change the battelfield completly. AI contolled arty is a really bad idea .....

I hope it make sense ...
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 01-23-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    Atillery shut Work as i did ... In the right hands its deadly.

Have anyone considert that the game right now is pure Inf. Thats making people play in a certain style. If you add arty and cav, the play style will change.
    Inf officers have to consider to make thier movement diffrent, they also have to order a Group of Inf to take out the arty. Therefor atillery needs protection, thats where cav comes in.
    Using cav as a direct attack on Inf formations is certain dead ... But as protection on flanks its a great dangerous force. Routing the ranks when they have been redused.

If the cav is not implemented, then the "General" still needs to protect his arty, by setting of some Inf on the flanks of the arty, to protect it.

Arty shut be operated by players, defently it will change the battelfield completly. AI contolled arty is a really bad idea .....

I hope it make sense ...
    It is planned to be player operated, as of right now it is AI.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    It is planned to be player operated, as of right now it is AI.
    I know that ... But its adressed to those who want it to be AI. I think it very important to have it player controlled, for the game flow, and to keep the autentic posibilities on the battelfield.
    I liked it to be moveable with 6 horses and all. Another option/posibility is that the general or artillery commander is setting the position of the atillery on the map, before the match starts.
    Because if dev's deside to place it in the historical position, then it will kinda lock the general Inf movement and most battels will be very predictive.

I recon booth side will have arty on the, maps where it was present historical. So if a general places his arty less thoughtfull, he might not be in range of the enemie arty. As far as i remember the range was aprox 1100 to 1500 meters for a 12 Pound depending on if the barrel was riffled or not. If the general chooses to put the arty to much forward, its a risk too, but offers a longer range into the enemie. I might make some interesting gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    I know that ... But its adressed to those who want it to be AI. I think it very important to have it player controlled, for the game flow, and to keep the autentic posibilities on the battelfield.
    I liked it to be moveable with 6 horses and all. Another option/posibility is that the general or artillery commander is setting the position of the atillery on the map, before the match starts.
    Because if dev's deside to place it in the historical position, then it will kinda lock the general Inf movement and most battels will be very predictive.

I recon booth side will have arty on the, maps where it was present historical. So if a general places his arty less thoughtfull, he might not be in range of the enemie arty. As far as i remember the range was aprox 1100 to 1500 meters for a 12 Pound depending on if the barrel was riffled or not. If the general chooses to put the arty to much forward, its a risk too, but offers a longer range into the enemie. I might make some interesting gameplay.
    I think the way it should be done is that it artillery batteries have around four different places, determined by feedback from testers, to where it can spawn along with different types for each location it generates at for batteries.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I think the way it should be done is that it artillery batteries have around four different places, determined by feedback from testers, to where it can spawn along with different types for each location it generates at for batteries.
    Just 4?!!?