Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICER TRAINING (USMA at West Point)

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    I did not take it as hostility. You're asking a legitimate question. I was training cadre in the Marine Corps in real life, I gave periods of instruction by way of power point and lecture...I have briefed high ranking generals in real life while an augment with CJTF-76. I am a training technician now at my actual job, I served in real combat. Would you like more information?
    Thanks for the answer. Good luck to you.

USA Brigadier General

I think i can trust my Captain to "encourage" me to learn how to properly lead, also i don't think leading as a whole is that hard, the ability to make tactical decisions during your leadership would be more concerning to me.

But I suppose if you are starting an Officer Candidate School of a sort by all means go for it

USA Sergeant

.and the US drill manual is the US drill manual.
    Actually it was not that simple. ;-)
    By September 1862 a number of drill books was in use north and south.
    (Gilham, Hardee 1855, Hardee's revised, Chandler, US infantry tactics 1861, with two manuals of arms... and a few more)

The union did end up standardizing with Casey's version, but this didn't happen until after the campaign.
    (and even then some units like the Wisconsin regiments in the Iron brigade ended up still mixing in a few bits from Chandler's manual of arms)

In Lee's army Gilhams and Hardee's revised was the two most common drill books by this time.
    By later in the war, most units had changed to Hardee's revised. (so did VMI in 1864)

Obvious the changes was mostly in the manual of arms, since both books are based on Hardee's 1855 book, when to come to all the manĉuvre stuff... (and that was just a translation of a french 1845 drill book.)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Actually it was not that simple. ;-)
    By September 1862 a number of drill books was in use north and south.
    (Gilham, Hardee 1855, Hardee's revised, Chandler, US infantry tactics 1861, with two manuals of arms... and a few more)

The union did end up standardizing with Casey's version, but this didn't happen until after the campaign.
    (and even then some units like the Wisconsin regiments in the Iron brigade ended up still mixing in a few bits from Chandler's manual of arms)

In Lee's army Gilhams and Hardee's revised was the two most common drill books by this time.
    By later in the war, most units had changed to Hardee's revised. (so did VMI in 1864)

Obvious the changes was mostly in the manual of arms, since both books are based on Hardee's 1855 book, when to come to all the manĉuvre stuff... (and that was just a translation of a french 1845 drill book.)
    The point being that if companies are going to cooperate why not be on the same page? Feel like im getting a lot of flak on something that can be nothing byt helpful. Its simple, if people want to do it then do it, if not then dont.

USA Sergeant

I think it is a fine idea.

Just making a comment about how it was not as simply historical.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    I think it is a fine idea.

Just making a comment about how it was not as simply historical.
    Feel free to take a look at the group, let me know what you think.

If Officers and NCOs from all units are involved I think this could be a great thing.

Its optional lol...

Just like in real life. Some officers go through ROTC, other through OCS after obtaining their education, and some through the service academies. My intent is to create a certain level of prestige online. No different than representing a specific unit/company in game. There is a certain degree of pride in that no?

My other thought would be to have different officers from different units contribute in the practical portions. Confederate and Federal alike.
    Well, thanks for the reply and good luck with it!

USA Lieutenant General

I like this idea.

PS: I did the Final Exam
    Your score is 73%

You've completed the exam. You scored 11.00 out of 15.00 points.
    Passed

USA Captain

Your score is 87%

You've completed the exam. You scored 13.00 out of 15.00 points.
    Passed

CSA Captain

Got a 2%, probably for writing in MLA format and with my name.
    Captain of the 1st Texas Company B, "Livingston Guards."
    Regimental Titles
    Chief Diplomat
    Arbitor
    Troublesheuter
    Chief Mediater
    Chief Negotiator
    Regimental Psychic Medium
    Hedmaester of the Verginia Military Instatute (pm to attend officer courses, all CSA officers are required to attend before taking to the field)

My great great great grandma fought alongside Ulysses S Lee in the 12th Airborne Brigatallion at the battle of Niagra Cliffs, RIP Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen